SSD slows down to almost nothing, disc usage reaches 50%

Hi,
I have a WD_BLACK SN750 SE NVMe SSD, and I have been struggling for almost a year now. The problem is that every now and then disc usage reaches exactly 50% and stays there until I reboot the computer. There is almost no R/W activity during these events.
During this time I have reinstalled windows (10, 64-bit) a few times, tweaked and updated my BIOS and today I have a computer with all the latest drivers and updates. Can’t say I didn’t learn anything from this, but now I am out of ideas.

The firmware version of the disc is 711240WD, and the interface speed is Gen4 (4 Lanes).

I suspected for a while my graphic card somehow was the culprit (PCIe, same comm channels, wild guesses) and removed it, but the issue crept up again.

I would love any ideas around this issue!

Hi @Snorvarg,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hi Keerti, yes I did open a support case. After I run their tests they seem to think everything is fine:

“Thank you for your response, after going trough the benchmark test and screenshots the drive performance seems to be fine as it is close to its sequential read an write speed. We would request you to optimize your installed program, update drivers and BIOS if any.”

They are right of course, it works most of the time. But I have some interesting logs from the event viewer showing when it is not working. I suspect the temperature gets too high at times. At least some very odd crashes of chrome (could probably be any program) coincide in time with the high disk temperature of 60 degrees. …the boring thing about all this is there seem to be no more details to give about it. The thing just slow down at times to a cripple and that’s it.