I am new to this forum.
I have a WD Passport Ultra. On installation, I have the following on my PC:
- WD Backup
- WD Security
- WD Drive Utilities
From the WD Support site (under Download), it seems that the following are true:
- WD Sync for Windows works only for WD Cloud Personal Cloud Storage device.
- WD SmartWare does not support WD Passport Ultra (and WD Backup is recommended).
So, my only option (using WD software) is to use WD Backup.
I have read some previous posts and realize that WD Backup is not a syncing software. So, everything backed up to the WD Passport Ultra remains on it unless manually deleted.
I have a few questions related to using just WD Backup:
Can I delete a folder/file in the WD Passport Ultra without causing corruption?
If I move a folder/file on my PC what happens in the WD Passport Ultra?
Will the folder/file be moved or simply added to the target destination (leaving the original folder/file as is)?
- If I rename a folder/file on my PC what happens in the WD Passport Ultra?
Will the folder/file be renamed or simply added as a new the folder/file in WD Passport Ultra?
- When I do a Restore (using WD Backup), will all the folders and files from the WD Passport Ultra be restored/copied to my PC?
Does WD Backup at least keep track of the folders/files deleted, moved, or renamed on the PC?
Will I have a choice to weed out the files that I had deleted from the PC (after a backup)?
- I have created four partitions on the WD Passport Ultra.
Three partitions are being used for backup using WD Backup.
I was considering using the fourth partition for syncing (using a third-party software).
Does that seem like an okay idea?
Can you recommend a free software for syncing?