Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.0 for Windows (5/9/12)

In addition to the  smartware.swstore folder my K drive also contains a folder WD_SmartWare. Judging by the dates of the files it contains, this is the earlier back up. However, the folder contains warning messages that modifying or deleting any files can cause irreprable damage to my back-up. I have to delete them one way or another as there is not free space left on the WD drive.

i dont have that folder but if you right click and look at properties to see the size you may just find they are system files for smartware

all my back up files are in the swstore folder amd if you open up the folders in turn you get to your actual back up files. i  had 2 separate folders after the swstore/homepc/ location when i had backed up using 2 different versions, i deleted them both and started again

i am no expert, just annoyed with the poor software so i have been having a good root around

good luck

Thanks @painful! I uninstalled Version 1.6.0 and found an earlier version on the Internet that  I downloaded and installed. It now seems to be working fine again, except that none of the files I created during the previous 3 days got backed up. However, there weren’t that many and I found that by opening the files and saving them again they are now backed up.

Version 1.6.0 should be avoided at all costs!!

Hello everyone and thank you for your posts. I was rather hoping I had purchased a nice backup solution. I have been seeing all the same problems that you have. I have concluded that the drive is fine but the backup software is a complete piece of **bleep**.  It looks like this was never tested prior to release. If this was commerical software the developers wouild be fired by the product manager for producing should a poor product.  

Would you care to share with us which earlier version of the software you downloaded and where you found it. My 1.6.0 seems to have fallen asleep since it did the original full back-up. It also claims that it was unable to back-up the pst files, but they seem to be in swstor. I wonder if there is alternative back-up software out there that we could use in place of WD (not so)SmartWare.

there are literally hundreds of posts regarding this with the WD staff closing the thread when an update is released, there is a link below to an alternative called genie timeline which i have downloaded the free version  and not tried, so make your own mind up,

it seems the most popular smartware is 1.4.1 that people downgrade to if you can find a download ,

i have enailed WD support but there website enquiry form seemed to error everytime so not even sure they got it

link to old forum post alternative

Thanks for the link, painful. Have you ever seen a reply from a WD staff member in any of these strings? I have given up on WD email support. I’ll let you know if I have luck with genie timeline.

hi mate, i have only seen one or two scuffles with wd staff and mainly them closing the thread as a new update, worse than the last, has been released, then all the fun starts again

i really dont think they are interested in the software side

i thnk they should stick to the hardware, i love my raptor drive

there website, complaints, registration is all f^^^^^^  useless

keep us posted

So what do you use for back-up?

Haven’t been able to find a download of 1.4.1. My 1.6 seems to be completely hung up trying to back up the remaining few files, all of which are pst  :slight_smile:

I gave up on 1.6 update and went back to the original 1.4.1 that was on the WD Passport Essential.  Everything backs up smoothly including all my .pst files.  Seriously dissappointed at the lack of response on WD’s end regarding issues with the most recent update.

@rumin, im not using anything at the moment have got a backup on my pasport which is complete that i did with 1.5.4.5 and i have been turning off all WD processes in ctrl alt del

standby for update as i have had a reply from WD from someone who seems like he isnt just giving automated response type answers and could be useful

@painful, I’m not holding my breath, but please do keep me posted. Thank you.

I will be away from the internet until Wed.

I have just purchased an Essential USB3 2GB, whilst installing the software was instructed there is an upgrade, have upgraged and now the Smartware wont even open up.

Tried to download it again and it tells me it wont as it has the latest 1.6 Version

incidentally, done the Win7 updates too so have the .net update.

Do i just delete the whole programme and download the new 1.6 from the site or just put the original back on???

Frustration, never bloody simple!!

@geordiecahill, i am just about to post a repsonse from Wd support email.

i have had my 1 Tb, ( iam guessing you have a 2Tb, not 2 gb) plugged in all day after following the instructions on my next post and it has been perfect,  and when i look at processes, the cpu is zero for all WD software, but i havent rebooted all day so i am not sold yet

you can uninstall the smartware and re install from the link on my post below, but you may get two backups on your drive if you have already backed up. i deleted all my backups in the Wd smartware swstor and started again when i re installed

good luck, i have xp so not sure how much of the following applies to you

@rumin, so far so good, i have the latest software after following the advice below, although i havent rebooted all day but i has been all good with no cpu usage. all my mail is backed up, i hade about 6 files that failed which i think were shortcuts, very small

see how you get on…this guy at least seems very good refresshing to see some proffesional polite repsonse

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.  My name is  .
I apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you.

So that I have a better understanding of your particular issue, please allow me to ask a few questions.

1. There is required software to be turned on or installed on your computer prior to updating.

a) Adobe Flash player 10 with active X (i installed the latest version)

b) Java 6 update 24 or higher

c) Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 sp.1 Windows Vista and Windows 7 have this installed but turned off by default.  To turn this feature on, please open Programs and Features in Control Panel.  Select “Turn Windows features on or off” found on the left side of the Programs and Features window.  Click on the “+” next to Microsoft .NET 3.5.1 to expand the selections for HTTP and non HTTP.  Check both boxes and click “OK” to turn this feature on.  Restart your computer and then download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Standalone with Client profile and Extended.  Reboot your computer to complete the installation.  Please run Windows Update and install all important updates and restart your computer again.

d) Download WDSmartWare for Windows at the link provided here: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/NAS.asp

e) Please follow all instructions about disabling Anti-virus and Anti Spyware.  It is very important to disable your Anti-virus before installing SmartWare for error free and successful installation.

f) Please allow all DOS command (Black Window with a blinking curser) windows to auto close.  This is extremely important to allow these DOS command windows to auto close for SmartWare to successfully install.

1. We upgraded from version 1.4.x more than a year ago because of the high system resource usage.  SmartWare 1.5.4.x and above has been completely re-written to prevent high CPU usage.  If you get high system resource usage with the 1.5.x and above, you may need to update the required software I mentioned above.

2. Update the firmware for your external drive, you can download from our website http://wdc.com

3. If you continue to experience this issue, we may need to arrange for a call to remote access into your computer to uninstall and re-install SmartWare for you.  Our hours are Mon. thru Thurs. 8 AM. Thru 7 PM. and Fri. 8 AM. Thru 5 PM. PST.  Please provide a window of time to call.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

works for me so far…

1 Like

@painful. That is good news. If it works for you, should work for me too :slight_smile:

Will have to wait to end of next week to try it. Thanks a lot.

@rumin, cool cool, its will probably be all tears at bedtime again tomorrow when i reboot…

cheers mate, take it easy

Thanks for the post about clicking on the USB drive - that activated the backup and restore tabs for me too.

This new version 1.6.0 appears to be a big improvement on reducing CPU usage - thanks!

Just a few questions:

1. Is it normal for C: files to be categorized each time I start WD Smartware? 

2. I used to have an error message pop up and disappear - but now it no longer appears.

The message - “No Writable WD Smartware Partition found” . 

This message puzzled me because I could see the drive in My Computer, in WD Quick View, and also in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manger (where it is under 2 places - disk drives and WD Drive Management Devices.

(FYI - I’m running Windows XP3 and the portable drive is a My Passport Essential 1TB  Product ID: 0740  and Firmware revision from WD is 1010

1. It looks like Microsoft updates the date on archive.pst each time you use outlook (even if you don’t have auto archive setup.  The size doesn’t change on archive.pst  but the date does. 

One comment - kudos to all the WD software developers who worked hard to make 1.6.0 less memory intensive.  With all the various hardware and software configurations we all have, WD has a really touch challenge.

Joe

@JoeCWD my update still seems to be working perfect, i mentioned in an earlier post that some files hadnt baked up and they were very old favourites which were corrupt for some reason.

when i start up smartware it says categorizing files so i think this is normal

the fact you are not getting errors anymore is good must have been down to a corrupt instal of the previous smartware i am guessing

although it says advisor above my avatar, i knew as much as you do about a week ago but just trying to help out.

if you want the experts i emailed support guys from the western digital site and received the very useful email that i posted above so will hopefully help others

feel free to ask any questions and i will do my best to help out or somebody on here will i’m sure

good luck

Thanks painful for posting that email.  Usually, we have to remove those.  But, in this case, it was so helpful that there was no way we’d take it down.  We just edited out any personal information.

For everyone to understand, I am the one that closes the other threads from previous firmware.  I do it, not because I’m trying to get rid of the previous rants on issues, but because the older firmware threads are no longer being considered.  But, we do need to hear when an issue has or hasn’t been fixed.  So, each new firmware thread serves to keep the continuing issues in focus. 

If, after doing all the updates in the above post painful gave us, you still have particular issues with SmartWare, please post them in this thread.  I will escalate this thread forward to make sure that the proper people are aware of it.

Thanks.