Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.0 for Windows (5/9/12)

I had to re install my computer so dont have 1.5.4.5 WD SW which I used to have before. I updated it to winxp sp3, .net4.0 client profile and IE8.

When I run the 1.6.0 updater, it shows the following message:

WD SmartWare System Requirements

To install and run WD SmartWare™ on Windows®, you need the following minimum requirements:

• Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows XP Pro 64-bit Service Pack 2, Windows Vista®, or Windows 7
  • .NET Framework 4.0 or later
  • Internet Explorer® 7 or higher

If necessary, update your system software and browser and reinstall WD SmartWare.

It doesnt show install button just an Exit button.

I tried popping the WD SW that I got with my Duo. It shows following message:

WD SmartWare System Requirements

To install and run WD SmartWare™ on Windows®, you need the following minimum requirements:

• Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows XP Pro 64-bit Service Pack 2, Windows Vista®, or Windows 7
  • .NET Framework 3.0 or later
  • Internet Explorer® 7 or higher

If necessary, update your system software and browser and reinstall WD SmartWare.

It seems like the WD SW in CD needs .net 3.0.

Is there a full installation of 1.6.0 available?

Or should I uninstall .net 4.0, install the WD SW in CD, upgrade to .net 4.0 then install 1.6.0? Sounds convoluted.

I am looking for some guidance on how to proceed. I want to be on 1.6.0 WD SW so the CPU usage is low.

hi, have you run all your windows updates, there are normally hundresa almost when you install sp3

go to control panel and security centre and then on the left check fro the latest updates from windows update.

you will get an option of express or custom, click custom and install all the high priority updates and then do the process again as once one update is installed it then leads to other updates. you may need to then install the softare updates as well shown in the left pane. keep going through this process until there are no more updates.

on software, you amy instal a few you might not need such as windows live etc but you can either uncheck these or remove later

if you then follow the instructions in the post above that i posted from the email form WD support to make sure you have the other softare up to date and then download the 1.6 version from the link in that mesage

hope that helps

I have run Microsoft Update multiple times after sp3 and .net 4.0 client profile.  Currently, there are no pending ‘high priority’ updates.

I have also updated Flash(11.x) and Java (6.xx. Not sure the build number. I will check that) as per the requirements.

Honestly, you probably will be doing updates for days, before you are caught up. 

I have been updating Windows xp for last few days. Today I ran it again multiple times and there are no high priority updates to be done. I also updated non high priority updates that are related to .net 4.0.

Here is what different version show.

MyComputer → Properties: MS WIndows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3.

Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs shows .net 4.0 Client Profile entry with following updates KB2633870, KB2572078, KB2656351, KB2468871, KB2518870, KB2600217 and KB2533523.

Control Panel → Java → General → About: Version 6 Update 33 (build 1.6.0_33_b03).

Control Panel ->Flash Player → Advanced → Updates → ActiveX Version: 11.3.300.257.

Control Panel ->Flash Player → Advanced → Updates → Plug-in Version: 11.3.300.262.

IE8: Version 6.0.2900.5512

I have Norton 360 v6. I disabled Firewall and Antivirus.

None of these helped. I still see the same message in the installation.

Do I need to have a earlier WD SW installed as it is a upgrader as opposed to full version?

Any help much appreciated.

WD support proactively escalated this issue and contacted me. The installation issue was resolved during the call. Thanks WD!

The issue ended up being incorrect install application that was downloaded from WDC download link. WDC might want to look into why the download link install app didnt work. The technician downloaded a new installation app from somewhere and that went through fine.

I now have an issue with SmartWare not recognizing the backup done using old software (1.5.4.5). I think I will go for support on this one now.

And yes, the CPU usage looks much better so far… Thanks so much!

I have an issue with 1.6.0 - which otherwise fixed the high CPU-usage problem I had with earlier versions:

When I change the software settings from default 5 versions of files backed up to 1 version backed up WDBackUpEngine.exe goes bananas. 

It starts using 50-90% or more of my CPU.  Also the backup never finishes, that blue and white twirling thing never ends spinning. I let it go for an hour before I gave up.

The only way to resolve this has been to uninstall and then reinstall SmartWare.  As long as I do not change the software settings concerning the numer of versions of each file that is backed up it works fine.

Problem is - I only want one version of each file backed up.  Please fix this!

I am running Windows Vista on a Dell laptop.

I have followed all the threads regarding the upgrade to 1.6.0. Checked all the revisions of Adobe Flash player 10 with active X, Java, Firmware on the drive, enabled Microsoft.net 3.5, loaded down microsoft.net 4.0, allowed all DOS command (Black Window with a blinking curser) windows to auto close, turned off the Anti-virus whilst doing this. I have attempted the upgrade now several times, every time with the same frustrating eventuality i.e. .pst files greater than 1GB appear as “File pending backup”, also another file with .sbb extension that is approximately 0.5GB fails to back-up with the same reason.

I was intrigued by the reply from  jjayathe on 11/07/2012, that stated, “The issue ended up being incorrect install application that was downloaded from WDC download link”.

Could this be the reason everyone is having problems? …If so please could WD correct.

Any additional help gratefully appreciated (my hair is turning white!)

You might want to contact WD’s support, and let them review what you’ve done.  That’s going to be the only way to be sure. 

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

@painful. I am back from my vacation and have completed all the steps except actually installing 1.6. I am a bit worried about what will happen when I run the backup. When I initially installed 16., it created a new swstor folder rather than updating the existing backed up files. The old backup was placed in a new folder WD Smartware in the form of three or four flies with long alphanumeric names. This has not left much free space on the drive. Do you know if this old backup can be safely deleted?

@painful. No good news to report. After power cycling MyBook, following installation of firmware update, I was presented with the usual window asking me if I wanted to run wdsmartware.exe. I clicked yes and ended with the 1.2.0.4 version which came with the drive ! As I feared, it created a new WDsmartware.swstor directory and moved the old backup to the WDSmartWare folder.

By the way, there were no dos command windows opening during the installation of 1.6.

So bottom line is that the installation of 1.6 as per the instructions that you were given failed for me :frowning:

Hi rumin,

I’ve been running SmartWare 1.6 for a couple of months now, and apart from the fact that it only backs up PST files once a day (a design feature which I think WD are working on) it has been fine, working quietly in the background. 

I followed all the stages that Painful listed, plus one preparatory stage.  That was to completely remove the existing SmartWare using the Microsoft tool you can download from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187.  It is not very speedy, but seems to ensure a clean install – I think others have used CCleaner, or simply used the Add/Remove programs, but I wanted to be sure. [Edit.  I’m using XP]

I then installed SmartWare 1.6, which is a complete program, not simply an update.  When it started it found my existing swstor files, although some people seemed to have found this did not work.

I found that the DOS Command (Black window blinking cursor) that Painful mentions took a very long time to close - about 5 minutes – with no indication of anything happening, which is a bit worrying at the time. 

Also when I upgraded the firmware on the Passport drive there was no definite Exit or Finish to say the upgrade was complete.  After a while I tried to repeat the update and got a message to say that the firmware was already up to date.

I’m using .NET Framework 4 which I had to install manually (ie it didn’t install as an automatic update).

Hope this helps.

hi guys, i’m away on (monkey) business at the mo, stand by for update.

the key to my success was to contact WD on the link below and let them advise you on your individual case rather than try and find a solution on endless forums which i did for weeks.

contact them and be patient and they will help, but if not i will be back soon hopefully and i can try and assist

https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/?lang=en

@rumin i deleted everything aprt from the swstore folder and then started again, if you do delete your backup and run the smartware it will back  up again as if it was a clean install

imagine you just bought your backup drive , it would be cleab apart from the set up files which it doesnt even matter if you wipe them really. the wd smartware will create the folders and backups you need. it is just another hard drive at the end of the day…

I’ve been interacting with WD support on this issue, but I seem to have one of the commonly reported symptoms. After a successful upgrade to 1.6.0, then on the advice of WD Support a clean wipe and a complete re-install of 1.6.0, I have a consistent problem - no file larger than 50 MB in size will be backed up. All such files are marked as “File pending backup”. Smartware is selecting files smaller than 50 MB from directories in which there are larger files and backing those up, so the directory structure is not the problem, nor the file type, nor file attributes.  It is simply, simply, simply file size that seems to determine whether the file will be successfully backed up.

Surely this is easily tested and fixed?  Is there something I can look for on my system to adjust?

@watchful. The microsoft web page that you refer to claims that the tool is not for Windows 7. It refers me to another microsoft support page but I do not see anything useful there. As I mentioned earlier, I saw no dos command windows open during the installation of 1.6.

@painful. Well i deleted everything on the disc and ran a back-up which seems to have frozen after backing up half the files.

It did the same even before I deleted the old .swstor. Maybe I should have stayed with the 1.2.0.4 which came with the MyBook. At least it did backups although sometimes it flagged some files as unable to back up when in fact it did back them up. Can’t believe how much time I have wasted on this :slight_smile:

The real crime with SmartWare 1.6 is that Western Digital has not pulled the bug ridden update.   My experience was that NOT all files were being backed up.  I spent over an hour on the phone with WD Support trying to solve the problem.  I finally downgraded to 1.5.x.   Downgrading solved my problem.

The Western DIgital rep acknolwedged that other bugs that I reported had already been sent to WD Development.  However, WD has not pulled the problem version nor have they posted a new release.

This is real poor customer service.

Wayne

WDsmartware awoke and completed the backup successfully. All fines including pst ones were backed up. Will have to see how it behaves in the next few days.