Shutdown MC from Linux desktop

I know very little about Linux but I do have Mint Mate on a USB stick.

Looking for a way to shutdown the MC from a batch, bash, script, exe or whatever from the desktop. I’ve read lots but mostly confusing ways with little exact details. I have a batch file that I use from Windows using Plink which I have installed on the USB stick now. Not sure about anything after that.

Any power Linux users that have a simple, if possible guide?

Just create a batch job on your windows PC using plink to shutdown the MC.
Shutdown and power off:
plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10 /sbin/shutdown -h -P now

Shutdown only:
plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10 /sbin/shutdown -r now

Power off only:
plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10/sbin/poweroff

Reboot:
plink.exe -ssh -l root -pw welc0me 192.168.1.10/sbin/reboot

RAC

I already do that from Windows but I want to be able to do it same way from Linux.

The OP wanted a way to do the shutdown from a Linux PC, specifically from Mint. :wink:

Wptski, there is probably a way to write a Linux script to perform the shutdown through Linux. The following links contains some general information on using SSH under Linux, that when combined with the My Cloud Linux command line shutdown and power off command /sbin/shutdown -h -P now will probably work.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-ssh-to-connect-to-a-remote-server-in-ubuntu

https://bash.cyberciti.biz/security/expect-ssh-login-script/

This is one way. ssh [USER-NAME]@[REMOTE-HOST] [command or script]

RAC

The problem with that is one is typically hit with the My Cloud SSH password prompt (I was when I tried that method earlier today). This is mentioned in the first of the two links I posted above (which talks about the ssh remote_username@remote_host login method). Hence the need to either use a script or do the other steps in that first link to get around the need to input a password. There are probably a Linux program or two that will automate the process so one doesn’t have to use the command line interface or use a script/batch file.

I’ll have to look into writing a script for this,

My Linux Mint USB wouldn’t boot up a few days ago so I checked and found a newer version. I also was one of the unlucky ones to download the ISO from a redirected site with a backdoor Trojan since hackers broke into the Mint site. I got Mint via FTP so it’s clean and the site is back up today after being down for several days.