SFTP tutorial WDMyCoud?

[I hope this time in the right sub forum]

I have successfully setup and connected to my WD cloud device via FTP but I would now like to connect through SFTP instead for extra security. I have activated the SSH settings and changed the default password without any problem.

There is where I am stuck. I have not found any useful tutorial to guide me from that point forward. I have tried to connect to SFTP but there is probably something else I need to do first before that will work. I hope someone can advise me how to proceed.

I am on Windows 10 and as mentioned managed to set WDMyCloud up to work with FTP already. My device and firmware version; WDMyCloud v04.05.00-327 : Core F/W

Generally the single bay My Cloud units do not, officially, support SFTP.

About the best you can do is dig through (if you haven’t done so already) the various past discussions where people have attempted to use SFTP and the My Cloud. From the forum search option (magnifying glass icon upper right).

https://community.wd.com/search?q=SFTP%20category%3A105

For example one such past discussion:

I just ran psftp.exe to connect to my gen1 my Cloud. It works.
The command I used was
./psftp.exe 192.168.xx.xxx

Thanks all, I managed to get SFTP working with PuTTY Connect to SSH using PuTTY (Windows) | Media Temple Community and @Theagustin’s instructions from 2015 SFTP Setup

Yes it works (depending on the SFTP program used), but it’s still not officially supported (not mentioned in the User Manual) on the single bay My Cloud units. :wink: :laughing:

From that Knowledgebase link:

SFTP is not supported on My Cloud

The SFTP option in Free File Sync and FileZilla work with connecting to my first gen (v4.x) My Cloud on my local LAN.

One thing for others to keep in mind; they will typically have to use the My Cloud root user and password and not one of the user accounts created through the My Cloud Dashboard. also its possible certain settings within the FTP program may also prevent a proper connection to the My Cloud.

And (again for others) if one is attempting to SFTP to the My Cloud from a remote location they will need to enable port forwarding of the SFTP port through the router their My Cloud is connected to.

Also it works even when ftp is disabled.

Yes it will. But try it when SSH is disabled in addition to FTP and you’ll find it doesn’t work.

The SFTP access is tied, in some fashion, to the SSH feature of the (first gen) My Cloud.

Hello I’m Stuck at the same point and I want to do pretty much the same. I’d like to Connect my mobile phone via sftp from outside my network. The router / modem is a fritzbox 7490.

I’m able to activate ssh and change the password. The I dont get any further. Can Someone help me?