Seagate Backup Plus Portable not recognized

I recently bought a Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive, Model STDR1000200, USB 3.0.

The WDTV Live doesn’t recognize the drive. Neither on the rear, nor on the front port.

I updated the firmware to the most recent one. No change.

Does anyone have a solution to that? Other Seagate 2.5" drives worked at least on the front port, this new one doesn’t.

Thank you very much for the help!

Lofette,

USB 3.0 devices need 900 mA of constant power in order to operate while USB 2.0 ports only provide 500 mA by specification design. This unfortunately means your external hard disk drive may not be compatible with your WD TV Live Streaming Media Player unless it is able to be connected to an external power source.

1 Like

Thank you JStaff. All my other previous Seagate 2.5" portable USB 3.0 drives work, this newer model however doesn’t. The drive is spinning, the light of the drive is on. However, the WD TV Live doesn’t show anything. The drive works even on my Samsung TV if I plug it there directly into the USB 2.0 port.

I know that the WD TV Live devices have problems with USB 3.0 and that USB 3.0 works only on the front port. But the new drive doesn’t even work there.

My WD TV Live SMP isn’t restricted to using a USB 3.0 drive on the front USB port only.

The WD My Passport 2.0TB USB 3.0 drive works on both the front and rear ports and it is powered only through the USB cable - no power transformer is used.

I am having the exact same issues with the new USB 3.0 Seagate Portable drive.  Neither my new or old WD Live will recognize the drive.  One I connect it the drive, it powers on and just spins and spins with no communication to the WD box,  but as soon as I put my slighty older Seagate USB 3.0 in, they both pick it up right away ?

Can WD please privide some direction on this issue.  Perhaps they can procure a new seagate Drive and figure the issue out? 

1 Like

Have you tried the search function on this board to look for a solution? :wink:

Look at this thread and see if any of the solutions work for you.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Media-player-does-not-recognise-my-Seagate-Backup-Plus-Slim-2TB/m-p/707754/highlight/true#M29783

Yes. And no, I won’t format / dump 1 TB of data only to see if the WD TV Live can read the drive or not. I’d rather buy a different device which is capable of accessing any drive.

It is clearly not a problem for other devices to access the seagate usb 3.0 drive via usb 2.0 port. It is a problem for the WD TV Live.

Since other USB 3.0 drives work fine and the one i specified doesn’t, I’d rather say it’s a software / firmware problem.

Would be great if WD could check that one out and fix the problem.