Restoring a backup on new PC

I need help. My WD Passport has been used to back up my old Windows computer for many months. That died so I need to restore my files to a new computer. I have clicked WD/restore in the apps tray and the message is that there are no backup files to restore and no backups have been carried out - but they have and the drive has it all. Somewhere I read that a restore option is given when loading the backup app but when I loaded the backup software it didn’t give me any message about restoring to the new computer. Any suggestions please. Graham

I have the exact, same issue. Backup from Win7 old computer (no O/S, only document, picture and music files) needs to be restored onto new, Win10. All WD apps installed and yet software says “no backup to restore” even though I can see the Win7 backup on the My Passport device. Argh. Hoping someone with knowledge replies soon!

I solved my problem by downloading the latest WD Backup software. I was previously using the old version that came with my Passport drive. I uninstalled the old version before downloading the new one.

Then, when I opened the new version of Backup to install it I was given the option to restore my backup to my new computer. It worked well although was a nightmare to figure out in the first place. If you just install and click restore from the system tray you will continue to get the message that there are no files to restore.

This link might help you.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5207/kw/restore

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled three times and I still can’t get a clean enough uninstall to get a clean reinstall. SO FRUSTRATED. I found some lingering files in a UHC registry that I renamed so I’m trying for a fourth time. I don’t know what is going wrong.

I can’t get it to work. The app windows disappear after selecting my device and I never get to the rest of the installation window. I can’t get a clean uninstall apparently. Any suggestions are welcome. THANK YOU so very much.

Resolved (hopefully - at least it is restoring). Clean install is the key. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Bowskg

April 18

I solved my problem by downloading the latest WD Backup software. I was previously using the old version that came with my Passport drive. I uninstalled the old version before downloading the new one.

Then, when I opened the new version of Backup to install it I was given the option to restore my backup to my new computer. It worked well although was a nightmare to figure out in the first place. If you just install and click restore from the system tray you will continue to get the message that there are no files to restore.

This link might help you.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5207/kw/restore

That’s great news. Well done for not giving up, but hey, it shouldn’t be this difficult to restore a backup. My faith in WD has been destroyed.