Replacing hard drive in My Book Live NAS Cloud Storage

I have a Western Digital My Book Live 2 TB Personal Cloud Storage Drive.  It fell from a desk, green light was still on at time examined.  A couple minutes later, however, the red was solid red.  I plug out the device from the wall then plug it in back.  I heard clicking sounds and notice that the status indicator hasn’t change to green.  I’m comtemplating replacing the hard-drive, but I’d like to know if I’ll still get the same functionality replacing the drive with another such as the WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Bulk Bare Drive. Can someone let me know if that is possible?

This is the original drive in the NAS. http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=868&language=1

It’s probably OK – you’ll need to use nfodiz’ De-Brick guide to get it up and running, though…  the MBL’s operating system is on the drive, so a bare drive won’t work until it’s “debricked.”

It should be possible, except Greens are not made for 24/7 work as in a NAS, AFAIK.

Thank you for your information.  It helped me a lot.  I’ve managed to install the MyBookLive firmware/OS, and everything ran like a charm. From the time I’ve asked the question, I’ve recently got the hard drive (4 days ago) and installed the new drive in the My Book Live NAS today.  I didn’t manage to back up anything from the original drive, as it was busted.  Could not read one bit…the drive was making madd clicking sounds.  I could hear the platter and the mechanic arm moving around in the thing.

FYI, I once opened up an wd my book live,  and saw a wd green (eurx) drive inside.

Hi !

Hows your new HDD is doing ? Is everything fine ?

I also purchased empty MBL Duo and thinking what kind of HDD to use.

Originaly it was like your WD20EURS it is Sata 3. And your is Sata 6, so they will work ?

My new HDD is doing great. Everything is working and all is fine.