Really dumb question about security

I have had problems associated with signing into my cloud via my laptop. This is just via my home wifi network and not remote. never need remote access.

I have worked around this by setting my personal folder as public thus all my gadgets can access this folder without password.

I have no-one else in house who needs to access the mycloud device.

I am nervous with this ‘public’ set up but am I right in saying that its ‘public’ only in the sense that someone connected into my wifi network via network password can then access ?

Also am I right in saying that I cannot stop remote (non-home wifi network) access to the mycloud ? The dashboard has a cloud access on/off but not a remote ??

Sorry - very dumb questions.

apprecaite views.

J

Sorry - very dumb questions… IMO there’s no such thing as a dumb question especially wrt privacy and security. Asking questions is one way to educate one self - which I find much superior to stupidity which is not cureable!

I have had problems associated with signing into my cloud via my laptop. This is just via my home wifi network and not remote. never need remote access. I have worked around this by setting my personal folder as public thus all my gadgets can access this folder without password.  I have no-one else in house who needs to access the mycloud device.

I use a 3 TB My Cloud with a 4 TB My Book Studio for an inhouse single point backup solution for Linux, Mac, and Win 7

I am nervous with this ‘public’ set up but am I right in saying that its ‘public’ only in the sense that someone connected into my wifi network via network password can then access ? I believe that ‘public’ in this context indicates your in home network.

Also am I right in saying that I cannot stop remote (non-home wifi network) access to the mycloud ? I believe that you have mis intrepreted this. In my case I’ve disabled UPnP on my router. You can control access to your network. For this question simply think about MC as just another computing device, it has no magic that enables remote access unless you enable such access

The dashboard has a cloud access on/off but not a remote ?? Please look at the Dashboard a bit more closely - specifically settings | general… scroll down the page a bit and look for Cloud where you can Configure, Turn on or off remote access.

Thanks Pete

Yes under cloud access bit on settings it says on/.off remote access. It just wasn’t clear to me if that meant my laptop, PS3 or tablet would be locked out (when accessing within my home network ) ? If knocking that off only effects attempts to access the drive via internet and from outside my home network then it will be off a min after you confirm :slight_smile:

correct, the remote / cloud access is only used if you are not on your local network. Turning it off will not impact local access

the public access to a share only applies to your home network, set a complex wifi password and you should be ok

1 Like

set a complex wifi password and you should be ok

You might also turn off WPS, but WPS connection generally requires physical access to your router to open an automatic WPS login window.  But in that window your network will accept device logins from any nearby devices that request it.  And they may not be friendly…

1 Like