Question about hdd’s in My Cloud

I have 2 WD My Cloud units, both are the white enclosure, 4TB single drive units.

Planning a purchase of a Synology enclosure and want to know if these drives would have any compatibility issues I’d want to be aware of ?

After installing in the Synology I’d be formatting to btrfs and using them in a raid 0 configuration …

any advice or comments ?

Typically the single bay My Cloud units use WD Red hard drives in them. You would have to check with Synology to see if there are any issues with using WD Red hard drives in their enclosures. There probably isn’t or won’t be a problem using WD Red drives with any other NAS enclosure. More on the WD Red drives:

https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-red.html

i checked the specs of the enclosure … looks like they would be compatible …

thanks

i’d like to use rsync in order to transfer files directly between NAS drives which are both connected to the same router …

any thoughts on how I’d be able to do that ?

I want to do a verbatim copy of specific folders on my original NAS to destination folders on the new NAS with rsync in order to avoid the slow process of doing it in finder (mac) or file explorer (windows).

Would I need to enable SSH on the destination NAS ?

I have set the new NAS to static IP within the console, the IP’s of both old and new NAS drives will remain constant while I use rsync to copy files.

thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide …

Yes [quote=“cs7404, post:4, topic:227835, full:true”]
i’d like to use rsync in order to transfer files directly between NAS drives which are both connected to the same router …

any thoughts on how I’d be able to do that ?
[/quote]
Yes there are a number of past discussions on how to use Rsync within the My Cloud firmware to copy files to another location, be it a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud USB port or to another My Cloud device. One can use the forum search option (magnifying glass icon upper right) to find past discussions. You may need to enable SSH on the second My Cloud/NAS device in addition to enabling SSH on the My Cloud where one would setup the Rsync command. One can use CRON to have the Rsync command(s) issued at specific times.

A few past discussions…

Thanks …