Rehome incompatible MyCloud HDDs in a new enclosure?

I have two older MyCloud NAS devices (04. firmware) that work fine but are not compatible with My Cloud OS5. Would it be possible to extract the physical HDDs from the My Cloud enclosures, trash the cases and the circuit boards (and the old firmware obviously), and redeploy the HDDs to a new NAS enclosure, one that might hold two (or more) HDDs, and that would be supported from a firmware and security point of view? If so, does WD make enclosures that would work?

The hard drive within a single bay My Cloud enclosure is just a standard SATA desktop style (3.5 inch) hard drive. Typically they’re WD Red drives. They can be used in most any device that takes a 3.5 inch type SATA hard drive.

If one takes a look at WD’s product offering they will find a number of multi bay My Cloud models that can be purchased as diskless NAS enclosures. The customer would install their own hard drives into such a diskless enclosure.

One really should consider look at other manufacturers (Synology, Qnap, etc.) offerings as well. There are a wide variety of diskless NAS enclosures, many with more features/options and a more mature operating system than the My Cloud line offers, out there one can stuff a couple of former WD My Cloud hard drives into.

No matter what you end up using you will likely have to reformat the existing My Cloud hard drives once they are inserted into the new enclosure. If so one should backup any data prior to reformatting and repartitioning the drives in the new enclosure.

Thank you! Some years ago, I had an early My Cloud model die and I was able to successfully remove the HDD drive and actually retrieve the data from it. It looked like a standard 3.5" SATA drive so It seemed logical that there wasn’t anything special (NASish) about the drive itself. I assume any new enclosure would require some kind of reformatting and possible software install when you add a drive - but sometime what seems logical and what actually works might be different. Thanks again.