Problems rebuilding after disk failure

I have been using a WD EX4100, with 4 WD Red 6TB HDD’s in RAID 5 mode, for five years, no problems at all.

Suddenly, disk nr.1 showed a red light and I got a message that I needed to change the HDD, which I did with a very same WB Red 6TB HDD.

After installing the HDD, the EX4100 started the rebuilding of the volume, this took more than 6 hours.

My problem is that after the rebuilt stopped, I got the message “Rebuilt failure” in the EX4100 display and the red LED for disk nr. 2 lights up steady.

What to do?

Looking forward to hearing good news how to fix this matter!!

Br, Hawkcarl

Hello Mjoelk (or is it Mjölk?)

The problem is that after replacing the first failed disk, the second hard disk failed during the 5 1/2 hours rebuilding process. Therefore, I CANNOT make a backup since I was using the EX4100 as backup for ALL of my data.

To me, and only me, I think that WD somehow have started PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE for the NAS drives.

FYI, have a Buffalo Link Station attached to me network. This is more the 11 years old and I have 4 WD Green 3TB hard disk installed. I have used this NAS for all the time.

When I Start my PC’s in the morning I start this Buffalo NAS as well, I have NEVER had any problem whatsoever with this NAS.

The reason why I bought the WD EX4100 was that I needed more data storage and Buffalo did not have a suitable product. What a mistake I did.

Now, I have ordered Synology NAS with 8 disk capacity and will install only 14TB disk in the NAS moreover I will install a SDD disk to make sure that the unit work at optimal performance ALL THE TIME.

What can I say???