YES change the firmware to WD Mycloud

2 Likes

push

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

No don’t change the firmware to that outdated one. Just add few extra functionalities requested by your users, make it faster and user serviceable (ability to swap hard drives easily - even on single bay drives). That’s it. Cheers.

1 Like

Also, do you really think you can influence WesternDigital, as a corporation, and tell them what to do with their products? I don’t think so… I would really like to see some changes on the software of the device, but this is unrealistic. Cheers

Yes we think we can change a company like WD!
Do you know why ?
Because we are the end customer, the one who keeps the business going.
A bad advertisement on the product will make it not sell.
So a failure!
An unheard client and a disgruntled client, many companies have shut down by making unilateral decisions.
We are all influential here around us, I do not recommend anyone who asks me to buy the product and go on Synology and I must not be the only one.
I am also a director of my company and for 2 years I have banned WD equipment.
Don’t think you have no influence it would be wrong.

4 Likes

Listen to their customers, absolutely. Every single company should do that, and I hope WD does the same.

But expecting that they will take every single request and idea from their customers and implement it, is just unrealistic because product development and design doesn’t work like that, especially in large corporations like WD.

I honestly doubt that they will make some significant changes to the current lineup or MyCloud Home devices, (other than a few minor tweaks and adding small features here and there), but they should definitely take some notes for some possible future iterations of the product.

I agree they really fu**ed up the marketing part. This is not a classical NAS, but a personal cloud storage, and they should really try to make people more aware of it, and clearly and unmistakably differentiate it from the rest of their NAS products so people can know what to expect when they purchase it.

I think it’s a good concept that could use some better execution and a few iterations.
Not everyone needs or wants a classical NAS.

Cheers

1 Like

For four months they have ingored users requests to fix shared folders. They don’t listen to their users. The only way they will listen is if they lose enough market share in all sectors. Boycot all WD products!!!

4 Likes

They certainly won’t lose percentage of market share by a few thousand unhappy customers. Do you know how big WD is?

I really think they have the potential and resources to make great products.
I know consumer product don’t bring much money like enterprise products do, but MCH but could be much much better product with a few slight improvements.

3 Likes

I agree that a few thousand users gone won’t do much to them. The problem is they keep adding stuff to MCH, but it is not want the users are asking for them to replace. I personally don’t care about Albums or the like, I just want file sharing between my family without using the web interface. We were happy with the way it worked prior to 6 months ago. This is what this forum is all about. The updating of MCH without warning or alternatives. I am currently running my Linux server with NextCloud. Works great. I wasted money on the WD MCH Duo. Only thing it runs now is Plex, but I could move that also. But I am also not buying other WD products due to the response from the MCH team. I feel that this teams response to users may show how company-wide they respond.

4 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

Pls change the firmware to WD Mycloud or something more useful. At least it could be an option who want to extend usage of their driver.

3 Likes

Otherwise I have no option but to return this product.

3 Likes

Yes, change it please

2 Likes

There are not considering it apparently. We are left behind the beta test for the upcoming new firmware for My Cloud (NOT Home): https://community.wd.com/t/2020-nas-beta-program-features-wish-list/254011/10

Pretty please. I have no option in changing. We have done a mistake at the company and we don’t have time to change this flashdisk for NAS. So it’s not up to me changing the disk. We just wanted MyCloud with more ram, not this brick. Change the OS to anything, but not the nonsense that it has.

We are not even able to organize the vital (only used) Family folder right now. Web interface doesn’t allow moving files between folders. What is that supposed to be? A garbage collector?

1 Like

I think as a customer it make us eligible to ask for the features we are looking for. There must be flexibility for users to select advance or simple configuration. As I can see My Cloud home is very slow in the data transfer because it’s using redirect method to transfer data.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with other posts here. The forced use of Plex is a disgrace. I bought the Home to replace a broken Mirror device. Assumed it wld be compatible but find it doesnt support my Naim music system or my Sony or Toshiba TVs. Nor does it easily download media on devices such as phone or ipad. I bitterly regret buying this junk. Cant believe a manufacturer would take such a regressive step with products in this day and age. If you’re going to release a new product dont release it with software that platforms are migrating away from. Shocking.

4 Likes