Petition to change the firmware to the classic WD My Cloud

Agreed.

Even more with the new My Cloud OS 5https://community.wd.com/t/my-cloud-os-5-dream-update-for-the-other-my-cloud-users/256680/2

Good news. stripped data out of the box and got my money back. will look for another nas but never again deal with WD.

3 Likes

OMG!
If I read this thread before, I’d never bought it!
I needed a linux NAS as the previous MyCloud and MyWorldBook (at least partially) were!
And I know now (too late!) it is not at all!
MCH is a clear regression wrt MyCloud !
I want a new firmware and a linux (or linux-like, at least) distribution !
Thinking about moving the drive in the case of one of the failed ones.

2 Likes

is there any update from this? I got sick from dealing with WD My cloud…

I wish I knew this information before I bought this useless device. All I wanted was a NAS that is accessible within your home network, regardless the OS you are using. (I’m using mainly Linux and Windows) What I got was a device that had no ways for configuration, was accessible from outside our home network, but I was not able to access the device from within our local network. (The WD_Discover app fails to install on all my windows devices).

Because of my previous experiences of a My Cloud Mirror, I was expecting something similar or even better. A few minutes after unpacking the device I realized that I made a terrible mistake.

Fortunately we got a good discount in the store, so the value of the drives is more that what I payed for it. Instead of actually using or returning the device, I will take the drives out an will put them in a good NAS solution that actually works.

I hope WD will update the firmware such that we can us it as a NAS. However, I already gave up on that. I just need to access the storage from a local network from my Windows/Linux machine and I don’t want to expose my data to the world using some fancy (and potential dangerous) sharing possibilities. I don’t have time to investigate on this or wait for WD to make this happen. So I’m very disappointed in this product and the behaviour of WD in this.

I’m a beginner, but I was dumbfounded enough to fall for the NAS scam myClpud home was. How do you take out the drive? I’m literally about to break it apart.

YES change the firmware to WD Mycloud The MyCloud home ■■■■■ bigtime. We have unstabel internet. My 8Tbyte died only 2 days after I bought and took a lot of data with.

I have to agree can’t you guys release a update that allows us to use the My Cloud Home device as a NAS device

I would agree. This has been the worst purchase of my life. A local drive that I need to log in through the Internet to “see” my drives. Lots of software is unable to access the drive ( like Backup Software). And why can’t I just assign an IP like a normal drive and be done with it. Looking into Synalogy or Seagate now and will just take the hit and trash these things if something doesn’t change.

Screw you you guys took something good and made it ■■■■ you guys want access to our drives thats why

YES change the firmware to WD Mycloud

1 Like

Does anyone believe that they give a ■■■■ about you.
They have lost there way.
I too have been burned by this, and realized that they have my money and i must learn from experience.
Their equipment is banned from our labs, (all products), until they find their way.
WD MyCloud Home, Buyer be scared, only suitable for Nan to back her photos from iPhone.

Anyone considered violence ?

I have made an account here especially to reply. My advice is to return the product if you are still able to do this!!

I bought the MyCloud Home product some years ago and it took me a lot of time to discover the MyCloud Home version is actually not a real NAS. Money wasted.

My question to WD: can you please update the software for this product to make basic NAS functionalities possible - so it is possible to use this product without an internet connection and so on??

1 Like

To late for a return, but I had to stop using it for the obvious reasons. New glitch is I now also have a Mac M! And they have no plans of supporting it.

My only choice is I no longer buy any WD products, and have been telling everyone I know to do the same.

Thanks for your input. I agree…. It’s a shame and false advertising in my book.

2 Likes

I dis exactly the same!!!
MAC M here and nothing happens from WD! This is unacceptable. I’m also spreading the “news” WD.

that’s enough @WD DO SOMETHING FOR MY CLOUD HOME

WD won’t listen to you. In fact, you’ll most likely have to take matters into your own hands by installing a different OS on the MCH.
I was able to install Debian (Linux distro) on my MCH thanks to this tutorial: https://community.wd.com/t/install-debian-on-wd-my-cloud-home/250061/20

All I had to do was get an empty FAT32 USB, extract the 7Z archive on it, plug in into the MCH and hold down the reset button for a while. The OS installed itself within minutes, and I finally had an NAS that isn’t a piece of garbage - for example, I don’t need internet connection & WD Discovery to access it, and the data transfer speeds are much faster (almost 1 Gbps)
The cool thing is, it also comes pre-installed with a neat little browser UI called OpenMediaVault, which essentially gives the user full control over the MCH, whilst still keeping things relatively simple.

The only downsides to doing this are that you’ll most likely lose warranty and setting up remote access to the MCH won’t be as easy as with the original firmware.

I have just bought a MCH as an additional drive to my old and reliable MC.
The new drive is garbage! For me there are a number of show stopping issues.

1. No support for Samba
  2. No access to data other than via proprietary WD Discovery. software
  3. No support for WD Discovery on Linux
  4. Poor support from WD
  5. The access from Mac is either WD Discovery or Guest

I see only 2 options. Replace the garbage is with something better or return it to store

1 Like

There was a beta test scheduled for September October. Maybe good news is coming…

I bought 2 left one at my parents house. After I realized it was not possible to even ssh I teturned 1 (I would have returned both but the other was not in my possession) so I am stuck with 1. Fix this problem!