Petition to change the firmware to the classic WD My Cloud

This topic is meant to stay alive with the upcoming firmware, sadly.

New firmware (5.9.0-103) has not changed a thing as far as this topic is concerned. Sad.

WD claimed that they “heard” us. Far from convinced from my point of view.

3 Likes

YES change the firmware to WD Mycloud

2 Likes

Isn’t compatible with Mac. Can’t copy a single file. “error 36” What a f*ing joke. This thing is a brick. I’m donating it to Goodwill

2 Likes

YES change the firmware to WD Mycloud.

3 Likes

Hard to hear with two fingers in their ears. This also limits their ability to fix anything.

2 Likes

If it makes it any better than the pile of trash I have now then yes!!!

2 Likes

AHHHHHHH just got it today to replace my ageing ReadyNAS Duo and find it doesn’t have half the features or functionality of that 10 year old NAS box. It seems that it needs an app that just makes it perform like a normal basic NAS. Thoroughly disappointing and I feel that WD have tricked me into purchasing this weird product. … I cant see any value or use for it currently, so back to Netgear to get one of their updated NAS units and the WD MCH will sit around in my cupboard for a couple of years waiting for a clear out or perhaps stripped down to reuse the disk at least.

1 Like

They heard but don’t care what the users want. Just look at 6.1.0-119

2 Likes

Thanks for finding this forum! Thank you God! I ordered an 8TB WD My Cloude, but now I have read these, I immediately cancel and order the Synology NAS with Seagate hard drives.
Can’t access my own data just through the WD website and if I don’t have internet, can’t I access my own data? Is this a joke? Have they not fixed this “bug” for two years? I think this back door is for government agencies then and they pay WD well. Orwell would laugh now if he saw this or cried? I’ll have to buy two hard drives tomorrow, but it won’t be WD made by then. Shame!

4 Likes

OS/2 (look it up) would be a lot more agile :grinning:

I bought this for £60 from a guy who paid £140 for it just 2 weeks earlier. He was so p’d off with it he couldn’t even be bothered making the trip into town to get a refund. I thought, well his loss is my gain. I found out the hard way that this wasn’t the case.

So now I’m looking at the Entware install as juju suggested in post #33. Don’t be put off by the teardown of the drive. This is so easy to open and remove the disc to work on. The most difficult part is separating the top and bottom halves of the enclosure. It just requires squeezing the top half at each side of the split and then pullig till it cracks open. Luckily I have an esata to sata dock which lets me connect it to my pc for working on in ubuntu without even having to open my PC case. I have some spare time this week and will start on the job then. I will report back and let you guys know how I got on.

4 Likes

Please bring back the MyCloud external USB drive support.

The only reason I “upgraded” to MyCloudHome was because the network read/write speeds tripled. Instead of triple the speed, I can’t use it all, so it’s effectively infinitely slower!

External USB drive access is all I want from WD MyCloudHome

The ONLY reason I want a My Cloud Home is for local backups. All other functionality is of no benefit to me.

For local backups, I want to be able to ;

• Share an external drive plugged into rear USB port
  • Configure Time Machine to use an external drive plugged into rear USB port

I want to use external drives for speed and flexibility

External drives can be ejected and then directly connected to client PC’s and Macs, which allows;

• ~5 x faster seeding of backups
  • ~3 x faster restoring of backups
  • Client machines do not need to be re-located to an ethernet port for seeding and restoring.

3 Likes

signed

1 Like

YES change the firmware

Or do anything to fix this piece of garbage!

No access after updating to Mac OS Catalina, no advice from Western Digital prior, that it was not compatible!

2 Likes

As I see it, no reaction from WD? And the only thing I can do is not buy new devices :frowning:

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

at least, changing firmware to WD Mycloud that could be an option for expert users.

3 Likes