PC locks up on re-boot when MyBook 4TB connected

I recently bought a new MyBook 4TB external drive to replace my old Logitech 1TB portable which started getting automatically disconnected, first by Windows 7 and then by Windows 10, when I bought my new Dell Inspiron 3847 a couple years ago. I had gotten pretty frustrated trying all the different fixes I found online for the problem, only to have none of them work, so finally I decided to bite the bullet and get the MyBook. Now, with the new drive plugged in, my computer gets gets stuck at the Dell logo every time I try to reboot. After going through all of Dell’s built-in and online diagnostics and having all the tests pass, I found that if I just unplugged the MyBook USB before I tried to restart or reboot, the computer would boot up normally.

Having to unplug the external drive every time I want to reboot or finding the computer locked up whenever there’s an automatic MS update reboot just doesn’t seem right, somehow. Has anyone else had this problem and could you please let me know how to fix it?

I should have searched the WD site a little better before posting. I now see Answer 15102 “Windows PC does not boot past the BIOS when the My Book is connected to it.” I have a USB mouse and keyboard, so I guess the “Disable Legacy USB Support” option won’t work for me. Apparently, that leaves reformatting the MyBook to NTFS. Ah well, so much for all that data!

I have much the same problem , did do a reformat still not working.
I can not find the other posting which you post about.
How to search for the post you did ?
This is first hd that have problems , always just worked.

Thanks for any help.

Here’s a link to that answer in the WD Knowledge Base: My Book: Computer Does Not Boot with Drive Connected
I don’t remember exactly how I found it, probably entering something like “Windows 10 PC gets stuck on reboot” in the WD Support Search tool (magnifying glass icon in upper left corner of web page).
Here’s a link to a WD Support page with links to instructions for reformatting drives in different operating systems, in case that helps: Instructions to Format a Drive for Use with Windows or macOS
My computer seems to boot up normally now that I reformatted the external drive to NTFS instead of ExFat, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck with yours!

1 Like

Still not working tried on 2 computers , one had WD 4tb external drive {previous model works ok } ,new one will not work on either one.
Changed boot order, boots first from internal HD.
Can not find legacy in bios.

Nothin works any more ideas ?

Sorry, that’s a bit out of my league. Time to contact WD Tech Support, I should think. Good luck!

I had the same problem.
I Even tried to remove all USB options from boot menu (BIOS), but no luck.
When I reconnected the MyBook the BIOS suddenly couldn’t locate my SSD system drive.
Problem solved after formatting MyBook to NTFS.
Thanks!