Passport not reading on Mac

Hi guys,

My ‘WD My Passport Ultra’ 1TB external hard drive isn’t reading on my Mac right now. I was using it and out of nowhere, it ejected itself and couldn’t be read when I plugged it back in. I want to fix this but in a way where I don’t have to reformat my drive because I have some important files on it.

Here are some info on my mac and the drive… I hope this helps.

Macbook Air on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

The Passport Ultra comes out of the box as a Windows formatted drive. Did you reformat it before using it on your Mac? If not, try connecting it to a Windows pc and see if it’s read-able. If it’s not then it probably got corrupted.

It was formatted to work on my Mac. I have been using it for the past 2 years maybe.
This literally occurred this morning as I opened my hard drive on my mac. It worked completely fine, being able to open and view files. Then out of no where, it just stopped working.

I also have the same problem with my Passport 1 TB external hard drive. I have also formatted for mac before using it. I have been using my drive with on MacBook Air for the past 4 years. It has been working fine. But now on MacBook Air on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 it displays the following message and not mounting it. Here is the screen shot

Please help. I have important files on the drive, I do not want to format it.

SAME! I have important files on my hard drive as well. I’m hoping to find a solution for this problem because I will be very disappointed and maybe a little frustrated if I end up losing everything on the drive :frowning:

I am having the same problem. Was this problem fixed for anyone?

I was able to get rid of that error message but only by doing the reformatting process (listed below)

I learned that failure reading WD Ultra My Passport is a common problem.
It was my mistake when I purchased this model 2.5 years ago.
Initially it stopped reading when I plugged it several times to my MacBook Pro and then to my iMac. The cable became “faulty”: I should have used one cable for one computer, I read on forums. OK. Purchased two cables for the two computers but the connection did not guarantee a reliable read every time - sometimes OK, sometimes just noise inside and the blinking point outside.
By now it has come to the point that it just cannot read (on one computer over the last year!), whenever I plug it. Noise and blinking. Whether the “faulty” cable again or insufficient power from laptop but it ■■■■■. I will never buy this model again. Very fragile and unstable.