Notice (9/30/11) - WD Still Working on Firmware Update for My Book World

To post a status update.  All of the users that I have contacted, and that have contacted me to test our next release have reported 100% resolution to these issues.  We are currently still regression testing and will finish soon provided no issues are seen.

1 Like

Please, someone send me the beta firmware. It has been weeks without being able to access my data.

1 Like

michael_123 wrote:

Please, someone send me the beta firmware. It has been weeks without being able to access my data.

I second that request!

Third!!!

I would also like to beta test 12

I am trying to find a better way to make the software available, however, as regression testing isn’t done yet I can’t post it anywhere.  If you 4 would like to test, PM me with your network layouts and I will see what I can do.

Come on WD, pull your finger out.  4 weeks with a “bricked” drive, for lack of a better expression.  Not acceptable i’m afraid.  Why is there not a publically availible and supported downgrade method!?!??

Well - my environment is pretty basic and genreric. An ADSL modem - Belkin - no fancy setup. Just out of the box. I would guess that most people wouldn’t have anything more than that.

It’s the first I heard that this problem was related in anyway to a customer network config?? So exactly what is the problem?

Toretto wrote:

You can disable the Twonky by issuing the following in your web browser:

http://mybookworld:9000/rpc/stop

You have to run the command each time you reboot, which is also how to restart the server.

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I am having problems. I should disclose that I have two identical MBW (white lite) on my network. I have renamed each one to a the format X-XXXX-XXX, and of course each device has its own IP. I have HTTPS enabled on each device. I am running firmware: 01.02.10 with no disconnects or other problems (that I am aware of).

Per you instruction, I have used:

http://mybookworld:9000/rpc/stop

It didn’t work, and I get a “can’t connect to the server” message. The same thing happens when I replace mybookworld with either the name of the NAS, or the IP of the NAS. Same results when using HTTPS to replace http.

Two questions:

What could I be doing wrong?

Do the any SSH methods, outlined reported in various posts, have any caveats or the potential for “problems down the road” associated with them?

Thanks for your help, and I don’t want to hijack this thread, so if you want to PM me, or start a new one, that’s cool too.

I have a Belkin as well and I’m close to throwing it out 

tommorow I’ll take it out to see if the problem continues or not.

i don’t think it has any thing to do with our network settings… i have a tp-link router and the router settings , the MBWEII settings and **bleep** even my pc and laptop had nothing changed in them at any way to affect the NAS that way … all was just fine up untill the DOOMED update! … so it’s the firmware entirely… and i’d like to have a try at the beta firmware too

Will tomorow’s (10/12/11) OS X Lion update further complicate things?  I can’t imagine that it might fix our problem.

The future update to Lion, does not solve this issue.

Billy2 wrote:

Will tomorow’s (10/12/11) OS X Lion update further complicate things?  I can’t imagine that it might fix our problem.

Very VERY interesting question! :wink:

Actually, I have a feeling tomorrow’s update, as well as future ones, should somehow fix these issues we’ve been having.

I didn’t want to comment until now! But, let’s wait and see…

I cant use my WD for few weeks by now.

I feel like I just thrown my money out of the window.

Its very frustrating to think that people unaware of this horrible situation and extremely disappointing experience are right now may be buyng these WD NAS in hope to use it as Time machine with their Macs. So they will surely do firmware update before realising they are f$#@d up.

I think we all should tweat, blog and google+ and facebook about this issue and our bad experience with WD - RIGHT NOW.

1 Like

Toretto wrote:

I am trying to find a better way to make the software available, however, as regression testing isn’t done yet I can’t post it anywhere.  If you 4 would like to test, PM me with your network layouts and I will see what I can do.

My Book World Edition II “White Light”, Windows 7 64, WD TV Live Media Player, Linksys AP, ADSL router.

Bourne wrote:

Billy2 wrote:

Very VERY interesting question! :wink:

Actually, I have a feeling tomorrow’s update, as well as future ones, should somehow fix these issues we’ve been having.

I didn’t want to comment until now! But, let’s wait and see…

Like I said, and like you probably know now - it does not fix this issue… I cant say any more about it.

Umpa2011 wrote:

Like I said, and like you probably know now - it does not fix this issue… I cant say any more about it.

Been busy beta testing the latest firmware with no good result.

Just updated my MAC with the latest and greatest. I’ll let you guys know the result in 24 hours. :wink:

Let the testing begin … :stuck_out_tongue:

Bourne wrote:> Let the testing begin … :stuck_out_tongue:

• *> FAILED!

Well … that was quick!!