Notice (9/30/11) - WD Still Working on Firmware Update for My Book World

Bourne - Are you using the beta 1.2.12 firmware?

Toretto wrote:

I am trying to find a better way to make the software available, however, as regression testing isn’t done yet I can’t post it anywhere.  If you 4 would like to test, PM me with your network layouts and I will see what I can do.

Toretto,

i posted my network layout as requested. Can i get the beta now for testing? From my point of view it is a safe test as I moved out all files from that drive. There is no danger to loose any valuable data.

monoskier wrote:

Yup! Same result as .10.

HI,

I’ve just read some comment re testing on certain network setups.

Can you please post some configs where the drive does function correctly.

I have plenty of different network kit and if there is a soloution that works I can hopfully recreate it and get my drive working.

Also I’d love the beta file to test.

Thanks

Dan Unwin

Bourne wrote:

monoskier wrote:

Yup! Same result as .10.

Dang.  You’re the first that I’ve heard of on .12 that has had problems still.  Guess that’s why WD hasn’t released it yet.  I’m going to update to Lion on my other MBP today so I’m hoping it doesn’t break on my end again.  I have 1 MBP already on Lion but I’ve kept it away from the WD drive.  (The wife had it on a business trip when I got the beta to test and since the beta worked for me I didn’t want to risk bricking it again when she got back.)

Not that it helps here, but I haven’t had a single issue with the Synology setup though :slight_smile:

Just started testing the 1.02.12 beta, fixed all my problems. It was quite a wait, but I’m happy to have my drive working again.

The customer service though was an adventure I don’t want to repeat any time soon, so for the time being I’ll stick to this firmware version.

Good to hear, are you using Windows/Macs or a mix??

LRS

Hello everyone, where to get this 1.2.12 beta to try?

monoskier wrote:

Bourne wrote:

monoskier wrote:

Yup! Same result as .10.

Dang.  You’re the first that I’ve heard of on .12 that has had problems still.  Guess that’s why WD hasn’t released it yet.  I’m going to update to Lion on my other MBP today so I’m hoping it doesn’t break on my end again.  I have 1 MBP already on Lion but I’ve kept it away from the WD drive.  (The wife had it on a business trip when I got the beta to test and since the beta worked for me I didn’t want to risk bricking it again when she got back.)

Not that it helps here, but I haven’t had a single issue with the Synology setup though :slight_smile:

Keep teasing me with that Synology! LOL I was so close to get one of those but changed my mind at the very last minute!

Anyway, this is getting personal between Lion and WD firmware now. Every other OS works fine. I was hopping the new update for Lion would make a difference but sadly not.

I’m still testing different scenarios. This weekend I may rebuild my iMac and see if that would make any difference. On my NAS drives, I don’t and can’t factory reset because there are now about 2.7 TB files and stuff!.

Well, I hope it works out for you.

One last idea, it may be because I have 2 NAS drives here!!! Maybe the firmware works with single drive on network! :stuck_out_tongue:

NECTOP wrote:

Hello everyone, where to get this 1.2.12 beta to try?

Send a request to MODs but be aware this is a BETA code. That means, if it does any harm to your device, WD is not responsible :slight_smile:

Hey all;

First off, I don’t work for WD and am an end-user like yourselves.  I do have 11-years of QA Experience in the IT industry and volunteered my expertise to WD to assist in this issue.  I too was hampered by the “2.0.10 bricking issue” and needed a resolve.  I have been putting the NAS through its paces using the 2.0.12 beat code on Win XP (32 & 64 bit), Win7 (32 & 64 bit), PS3 and iPod Touch 4th Gen…Sorry no Mac OS experience, so I haven’t been testing that.  Here is a quick summary of my findings, thus far:

The Good News:   I can confirm that the new bricking issue introduced by the 2.0.10 code base has definitely been resolved and I have had an active NAS (mirrored) for the past week with no access problems (small caveat here).

The Bad News:   A previously known issue from the 2.0.06 build has re-emerged, which 2.0.10 was suppose to address.  The short end of it is that you have no problems reading ANY content from the NAS; however, attempts to write large files (over 1GB) “can” result in freezing up the NAS and possibly the DHCP services.  I say “can” because it is intermittent. The only resolve is to hard recycle the NAS and DHCP router.  WD has been made aware of this and is working to resolve it in the current release (which I am hoping to get a new beta of soon).

Just thought you’d like to know the state of affairs and that WD is working to resolve the issue.

Bourne

Thanks, but what is MODs?

NECTOP wrote:

Bourne

Thanks, but what is MODs?

You’re very welcome.

Sorry, I should’ve included their names. The moderators here are:

Toretto

Bill_S

Actually, Toretto is not a moderator.  He’s a staff member.

Bill_S wrote:

Actually, Toretto is not a moderator.  He’s a staff member.

Yea, I am on the forums here for a few things here and there, and while a WD employee, I do not moderate.  Bill and his staff manage and moderate the forums.  I do other things within WD.

MR2MK1SC wrote:

Hey all;

First off, I don’t work for WD and am an end-user like yourselves.  I do have 11-years of QA Experience in the IT industry and volunteered my expertise to WD to assist in this issue.  I too was hampered by the “2.0.10 bricking issue” and needed a resolve.  I have been putting the NAS through its paces using the 2.0.12 beat code on Win XP (32 & 64 bit), Win7 (32 & 64 bit), PS3 and iPod Touch 4th Gen…Sorry no Mac OS experience, so I haven’t been testing that.  Here is a quick summary of my findings, thus far:

The Good News:   I can confirm that the new bricking issue introduced by the 2.0.10 code base has definitely been resolved and I have had an active NAS (mirrored) for the past week with no access problems (small caveat here).

The Bad News:   A previously known issue from the 2.0.06 build has re-emerged, which 2.0.10 was suppose to address.  The short end of it is that you have no problems reading ANY content from the NAS; however, attempts to write large files (over 1GB) “can” result in freezing up the NAS and possibly the DHCP services.  I say “can” because it is intermittent. The only resolve is to hard recycle the NAS and DHCP router.  WD has been made aware of this and is working to resolve it in the current release (which I am hoping to get a new beta of soon).

Just thought you’d like to know the state of affairs and that WD is working to resolve the issue.

Thanks for your feedback, we are looking at this issue.

Hello -

you mentioned the existence of a firmware beta. Is there somewhere I can download it? This situation is absolutely intolerable.

I have been looking for 2 weeks , can anyone point me in the right direction ? ,I look everyday to see WD have found solution the downgrade is too risky for me to attempt ,but I would try the .12 beta if I could find it :wink:

Graham

Unofficially, I followed the instructions by Maxfire on this page:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/DO-NOT-UPDATE-1-02-10-FIRMWARE/td-p/257090/page/12

I would suggest only those with experience do this , even though it was extremely easy and successfully got me back to version 1.02.06 .  Its a matter of faking the drive into thinking it has a previous firmare version, then running the automatic firmware upgrade again.  If you run Putty to connect to the drive, you have to turn on SSH access in the Advanced Mode, System Tab->Advanced screen.

Unofficially, I followed the instructions by Maxfire on this page:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/DO-NOT-UPDATE-1-02-10-FIRMWARE/td-p/257090/page/12

I had a good read and took the plunge , it has worked fine so far no connection problems now I am back to the previous firmware version

Thanks