Notice (9/30/11) - WD Still Working on Firmware Update for My Book World

I’ve been testing the .12 beta update and so far, things are looking rosy indeed. As Brownster stated, there still lingers an issue with loading the sharepoints initially via AFP, but after a single sharepoint is mounted, they load instantly.

Time Machine has been going great, although (for reasons known only to OS X) it may need to reindex your Time Machine backups again - especially if it has not been backed up in over two weeks. This issue is not 100% WD’s fault, and if you are having troubles with Time Machine, I would suggest Pondini’s Time Machine site, which contains excellent how-to’s and alike for troubleshooting Time Machine.

Other then that, the .12 beta update does fix the connection issue (for me at least) and has had not issues with the NAS turning off or forgetting its IP.

My guess is within the next week or two that this update will be out.

-timeimp

timeimp wrote:

I’ve been testing the .12 beta update and so far, things are looking rosy indeed. As Brownster stated, there still lingers an issue with loading the sharepoints initially via AFP, but after a single sharepoint is mounted, they load instantly. …

Any changes in the GUI, that allow one to disable Twonky?

Sorry to be a pain guys but im not as knowledgeable about this as some of the other faces on here.  I have a 2TB MyBookWorld and its pretty much packed with data.  My question is, what will be the process of updating the firmware and how will it affect current data held on the device?  Obviously I dont want to lose my data and Im not looking to buy another 2TB Drive, so how will this new firmware be delivered, how will the update be applied and will the existing data still be present on the drive? Forgive my ignorance and thank you to any responses.

DCIFRTHS: when you say disable Mionet, are you referring to it not starting up at all? The screenshot below is accessed (in .12) via the Remote Access link on the homepage.

View Screenshot.

-timeimp

timeimp wrote:

DCIFRTHS: when you say disable Mionet, are you referring to it not starting up at all? The screenshot below is accessed (in .12) via the Remote Access link on the homepage.

View Screenshot.

-timeimp

Oops. I meant to say Twonky. I would  like to be able to disable Twonky , via the GUI. Thanks for the link, and I will edit my original post.

AmaudXP

i’ve tried to find it “somewhere” but no success. Can you please send me the download link?

Mihai

will this .12 update fix the problems that .10 caused? like not beeing able to acces my MBWEII either through network or even through the 192.168.1.2 from a web explorer? also wil it make it stop flashing the full white bar endlessly ? will i be able to access my data again from any windows etc… or is this fix is only for mac users or what … sorry but i’m lost here

Kareem: so far, in my testing of it, yes the network issues have been fixed in my network environment.

DCPHRTHS: not via the GUI no, but you can do it via ssh.

Must say that the waiting for this 12 release is very frustrating. While the beta testers are having much joy (which I am glad to hear), I on the other hand see my WD usage must like a hospital experience…. You only get to visit the drive at certain times of the day for usage and when you are able to use the drive the visiting hours are closed before you even had time to do everything you wanted!!

This release better be a great success !!

1 Like

I agree: this is quite frustrating! I read from Italy and I really hope that it will be resolved soon.

This may have been posted, apologies if true. Why don’t WD give us the previous firmware re numbered, or am I being thick (probable) This is getting very frustrating.

It does not fix the problem, you CAN downgrade your firmware but the files required to fix the issue are not in the old firmware. They dont do total firmware/os upgrades every update. Only add what they need, keeps the download small.

understood, thanks for that

Please please please can you hurry up and make this release, or at the very least provide a downgrade so that I can at least use my NAS even if it does lack time machine support.

This is really beginning to frustrate me. 

I know there are unofficial links provided, but I want an official one. I don’t have the time to mess around debugging other people’s issues!

Many thanks,

Dave

Hi, I have myself 3 weeks ago bought the Mybook World Edition II. The evening I unpacked it, it suggested to update to the latest firmware (1.02.10), which I did … a firmware which was still out there weeks after massive complaints of bugs were starting to be reported (I can see now that it’s 1.02.06 which is at wdc.com as latest firmware). WD, I’m as many others a loyal customer, and have currently 5 of your products running in my household, but I have to say it has been hard lately to keep up the good spirit. One thing is that it’s not always easy to fix bugs, this I can understand and sympathize with … but not advising a relatively simple solution for everyone to downgrade from 1.02.10 to 1.02.06, this I don’t understand. I’ve seen in this forum that WD employees at the helpdesk has been doing this individually over the phone, but … I think we all can agree that this is not a sustainable solution to get quick enough out to people who are affected by this.

I had reached the point where I was ready to go back to the shop and demand a refund … but since we had bad weather yesterday and I therefore had extra time on my hand, I finally took the “jump from the cliff” and found a set of instructions via Google how to downgrade the firmware to the (or actually any) previous version. This is simple to find and very simple to do, although it does require that you have managed to have SSH activated on your drive. If you haven’t done that before it stopped working, then try with patience and disconnect it, reset it and re-connect it to your network … it may take a few tries, but eventually after 3 times (and also trying to connect it directly to my PC, for which I guess I should use a crossover cable).

Anyway, Google is your friend to solve this when WD seems not to be interested in providing a solution for the “masses” for whatever reason.

WD, keep up the good work with your excellend and competitive products … but please also provide solutions when problems like this occur rather than leave a huge amount of customers with a very ill feeling towards you due to something which is easy to fix.

With my very best regards and hoping to see that “fix” coming out soon!

Mogens

I wrote a quick program for Windows systems to make a periodic check to an existing network connection.  At a 3 minute interval, I’ve been able to keep the drive up continuously for two days straight.  Before that it went down 2 times a day.  I posted the exe at http://www.burnhamgraphicarts.com/programs/DriveChecker.zip

There is no communication outside the location system and it’s virus free.  Very simple C# application that allows you to pick a network path and send a file system request to it on a regular interval.  I had the interval setting at 5 minutes but noticed the network connection would drop.  3 minutes and under has worked so far.  It keeps a log in memory of the status and it will show the last time the connection was good.

What I find concerning is the apparent lack of testing by WD before releasing this firmware release. This is such an obvious problem that is expereinced within 1 hour of the upgrade. You could forgive if it was only a handful of users experiencing the problem. Imaging the uproar if a Microsoft patch caused everyones PC to shutdown??

Well to be fair, WD did regression testing on the firmware update and apparently the issues many users currently have were dependant on the network conditions the drive’s working in.

From my experience, network architectures are not part of overall testing for consumer devices, so this bug could’ve easily slipped through.

DCIFRTHS wrote:

timeimp wrote:

View Screenshot.

-timeimp

Oops. I meant to say Twonky. I would  like to be able to disable Twonky , via the GUI. Thanks for the link, and I will edit my original post.

You can disable the Twonky by issuing the following in your web browser:

http://mybookworld:9000/rpc/stop

You have to run the command each time you reboot, which is also how to restart the server.

Juno75 wrote:

Well to be fair, WD did regression testing on the firmware update and apparently the issues many users currently have were dependant on the network conditions the drive’s working in.

From my experience, network architectures are not part of overall testing for consumer devices, so this bug could’ve easily slipped through.

You are very accurate here.  Although we regression test all releases, some issues will surface in the field and not in our labs due to the scenario not scoped out.  When we are able to replicate these environments, we create tests that are included in future releases to best prevent the problems from surfacing again.  We do test using the current popular routers on the market, however, it is impossible to test every setup available as there is an endless number of networking products.