Notice (9/30/11) - WD Still Working on Firmware Update for My Book World

We’ve been seeing some real positive results in our tests that we did over the weekend.  So, unless something crops up that we haven’t seen, we should see the release real soon.  Other than that, I don’t really have any details that I can share.

I have PM’d some of beta users for additional testing.  We also have our technical support doing some tests with customers as well.  I will continue to post updates when I can, but we are doing regression testing on this new build and will hopefully finish soon.

5 Likes

WD Team:  How’s the testing going today?  Are we close?

Hi,

I updated to 1.02.10 before it was removed and have been having constant problems with my drive. I’m a little frustrated that I had to search online to discover that the problem was with the firmware. 

I really don’t want to return the drive as I can get it to work for a while if I keep resetting it.

Please can you prioritize fixing the firmware?

Dave.

a 1.02.12 firmware is “available” somewhere if you search :stuck_out_tongue:

I used following link to downgrade firmware without any problem https://gist.github.com/1239075

I have followed all possible fixes posted (but for the downgrade option - too risky) sometimes get a couple of hours out of it but then lose connection again - last time was only 10 minutes - my business is suffering because I bought this WD product.  As a programmer I can’t understand how 1.02.10 ever got approval for release with such a huge bug in it - what sort of testing do they do?  Test, Test, Test and more Testing then give it to someone who doesn’t know how to use it and get them to test it - they will find bugs in it within 5 minutes.

@ Clarksofperth

I was in your same situation and suffered the same headaches.  WD gave me the .12 firmware to beta test and it has fixed my problems.  Unfortunately, I was by asked by WD to not distribute the firmware just in case it did have some issues for users, so I am respecting their request.

From my experience, the patch fixes the connection issue and I’d fully expect it to be released soon.

2 Likes

Bill, we’re starting to feel the information vacuum out here again.  

do you think you could give us another progress report?

it’s looking like your non-WD beta testers are better at communicating your status than you guys are.  

tell your upper management to get out of the kitchen.  

if they had any understanding of support, development and their ultimate value to the coroprate shareholders,

they’d be running their own companies instead of wasting someone elses stock value.

quidamm wrote:

Bill, we’re starting to feel the information vacuum out here again.  

do you think you could give us another progress report?

it’s looking like your non-WD beta testers are better at communicating your status than you guys are.  

tell your upper management to get out of the kitchen.  

if they had any understanding of support, development and their ultimate value to the coroprate shareholders,

they’d be running their own companies instead of wasting someone elses stock value.

Did you not read Toretto’s reply up above?  They should have the firmware out soon.   That was posted on Monday.  There is nothing else we can do until the testing is done. 

of course I read it bill. 

what part of  “no update since monday” do you find acceptable?

no news is not good news

did you not read my past two posts?

I did read your other posts.  To be honest with you, I thought Monoskier’s post gave the best indication of how things are going.  The beta worked for him.  I understand how frustrating this can be, but we are in the process of regression testing.  I’m sorry, but there is no progress to give, until that’s done.   And once that’s done, if there are no issues, then the firmware will be released.

Last time, I guess we pushed them a little and they rushed a buggy firmware, 1.02.10.

There are so many NAS makers, D-Link one of them, who are FAR behind and their customers are MAD!!

Considering the fact that me and a few others luckily managed to get this to work with 1.02.10, I’m ok they take their time and fully test it.

My 2cents :slight_smile:

not pushing for a release

just pushing for information

I’d just like to add, that when you get to chat with the support guys by the WD Support, they are more than helpful, and people should be more patient, how many of us bothered to check that OSX Lion would work with our NAS before upgrading, I agree that WD should have sent us all an email or conveyed some sort of message through the media, warning us that if we upgraded to lion, our drives wouldn’t work, but in the end, the buck surely stops with us, I just think a little more patience is needed here, a little less anger, just my thoughts. 

monoskier wrote:

WD gave me the .12 firmware to beta test and it has fixed my problems.

From my experience, the patch fixes the connection issue and I’d fully expect it to be released soon.

Hi @monoskier.  Good to hear some promissing news.  Personally I don’t have any real problems with v10 anymore.  I get the occassional drop out, but were talking maybe once a week (unfortantely often when streaming a film wirelssly to my TV!),

My biggest beef now (not necessarily at WD) is the time it takes to connect using AFP.  It’s taking about 30 seconds to connect after I switch on the Macbook Air, although after that it is about 1 second per subsequent access.  I was wondering if you noticed any improvement in this using the v12 beta.

One thing is for sure, I won’t be rushing to install v12 like I did with v10.  I will let it go through at least a week of real-world UAT first…

Clearly, after you get 1.02.12 out the door, your next priority should be to work on the downgrade issues.  All this flack would have been none existent if we all could have simply reverted our drives to a working release.

Brownster wrote:

Hi @monoskier.  Good to hear some promising news.  Personally I don’t have any real problems with v10 anymore.  I get the occasional drop out, but were talking maybe once a week (unfortunately often when streaming a film wirelessly to my TV!),

My biggest beef now (not necessarily at WD) is the time it takes to connect using AFP.  It’s taking about 30 seconds to connect after I switch on the Macbook Air, although after that it is about 1 second per subsequent access.  I was wondering if you noticed any improvement in this using the v12 beta.

One thing is for sure, I won’t be rushing to install v12 like I did with v10.  I will let it go through at least a week of real-world UAT first…

It’s still noticeably slower than with 1.02.06 but it is slightly faster than with 1.02.10.  I mentioned that to WD in my feedback on the beta and they replied that it had to do with the new protocols that Apple put in place with Lion.

The only environment I haven’t been able to test the new firmware in is with Lion as my wife has that computer and is out of town this week.  Snow Leopard, XP and Win7 are all back to normal now.  I still have Mionet and the iTunes Server turned off since I’m using the new Synology system for my important files and streaming but FTP and TM are on and working fine again.

My gut is telling me that either they will release the new firmware tomorrow or it hasn’t been successful for all of the beta testers and they are going back to the drawing board.  For the communities sake, I’m obviously hoping for the former.

quidamm wrote:

not pushing for a release

just pushing for information

It’s going to be at least another week, maybe two, for us to finish regression testing. 

no comment