Nothing works as expected (SD Cards, RAW files)

I’ve raised a support ticket but figured I might get answers quicker here.

I have a Fuji X100F camera, shooting RAW (.RAF) + JPEG and have a need to back up SD cards while traveling - so I don’t need a laptop with me.

I bought the My Passport to copy the contents of my multiple SD cards onto the drive with confidence.

The first issue is that it is unable to read my Samsung EVO+ 32GB MicroSD cards (MB-MC32DA/APC) using either the included Samsung MicroSD to SD Adapter or Strontium MicroSD to SD Adapter, nor can I read the cards using either of my two SD Card to USB adapters (strontium and generic brand). I have followed 19404 and disabled twonky (plex was never enabled), and I have reformatted the card in windows to Fat32 and safely ejected. No combination of actions allows the drive to read my (ten!) identical SD cards. Replacing all my perfectly functional SD cards is not an acceptable option.

I don’t own any other brands/types of SD cards to test.

Are there really still so many issues with simply reading an SD card? I’ve never encountered such a situation - every camera, every card reader, every computer has no issues - why this device?

So, fine, I think to myself, I will use USB from the camera directly to copy across.

This brings us to the second issue. The drive refuses to acknowledge the existence of the RAW (.RAF) files - only JPEG files appear for import and as part of import. I’ve verified that the RAW files are not being copied across my plugging the drive into my computer - only JPEGs are present. Plugging the camera into a PC via USB shows that all files (including RAW) are visible. I’ve recreated this issue with a spreadsheet as another test - the drive only ‘acknowledges’ JPEGs (not tested video). I cannot imagine why WD would do this on purpose, so I am assuming it is a bug or I am just massively misunderstanding the purpose of this device - it shouldn’t matter what I put onto the SD card, the Passport just needs to make a copy everything so that I can trust it to the backup without worrying that it has ‘decided’ what I need backed up.

I will also note that a simple SanDisk Cruzer blade (2gb) is not detected in the USB port either. Which is dumbfounding, how can this be possible?

I am unable to provide logs because the relevant KB article is empty (My Passport Wireless: Collect System Logs)

I’m on the latest firmware. I’ve done a factory reset.

Does anyone have any advice on the SD card front and what is going on with the non-jpeg files? Passport Wireless is a perfect concept for me but does not delivery in any way

Thanks!

So small success today - I figure out how to access the logs and I can see:

Feb  1 22:02:28 MyPassport user.err kernel: [   89.745732] ufsd: failed to mount "mmcblk0p1". bad option "utf8=1,time_offset=780"
Feb  1 22:02:28 MyPassport user.notice kernel: [   89.753707] ufsd: fill_super failed to mount mmcblk0p1: "bad options" ->-22

I established that it can see the SD Card, but is unable to mount it. On a whim, i reformatted a card to exFAT and hey presto no problems.

This is a partial solution, but the risk is that I have a lapse in attention and format a card in camera (as is my habit) - the x100f formats the cards to Fat32 in a format that the Passport is unable to mount for whatever reason. Formatting in windows to fat32 does not work either.

Am I missing some nuance? Fat32 is obviously supported, but formatting to cards to that format in windows (10) and my camera result in it being somehow unreadable?

I’ve given up on the Camera USB route as I suspect it’s more likely a PTP protocol issue than the Passport.

I have the same problem:
After updating the last firmware, there is no access to the SD card or no cameras are detected on the USB port. I only use professional brand products. The device turns out to be only an expensive external hard drive. Firmware has also already been manually loaded and the device is put into the factory state. Totally unusable !!!

Sorry, but my native language is German.

I dont see where Micro SD cards are supported on the devices.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=11737&lang=en#wirelesspro

I have issues using many micro cards and/or their adapters in most devices that take SD cards.

The ‘USD 64GB UHS-I EvoPlus’ listed is MicroSD and is the 64gb version of my card.

Please see my second post - the cards are read fine, there is an issue with the My Passport mounting them when formatted as FAT32.

OK.

My timezone is UTC+13 (NZDT) and it is breaking the mount script - the time_offset argument on the mount command only accepts values up to 12 hours (720 minutes)

I’ve pulled apart the mdev.conf file and followed the /sbin/sdmount.sh script through to mounting a VFAT partition. It passes a timezone offset value in minutes - 780 in my case.

Attempting to manually mount using these parameters results in error - dropping the time_offset down to 720 results in a successful mount.

The reason it works with exfat is that it mounts using ufsd and the ‘bias’ command is used instead of time_offset.

I will update my support ticket and hopefully a fix can be found.

Posting here in case anyone else in New Zealand buys this product and plans to use FAT32 formatted SD cards.

Log file showing issue
================================================

Feb  4 19:25:56 MyPassport user.info kernel: [  600.431097] mmc1: new ultra high speed SDR104 SDHC card at address 59b4
Feb  4 19:25:56 MyPassport user.info kernel: [  600.440323] mmcblk0: mmc1:59b4 00000 29.8 GiB
Feb  4 19:25:56 MyPassport user.info kernel: [  600.442330]  mmcblk0: p1
Feb  4 19:25:56 MyPassport user.err kernel: [  600.933394] ufsd: failed to mount "mmcblk0p1". bad option "utf8=1,time_offset=780"
Feb  4 19:25:56 MyPassport user.notice kernel: [  600.941148] ufsd: fill_super failed to mount mmcblk0p1: "bad options" ->-22

================================================

Mounting with no time_offset

# blkid /dev/mmcblk0p1
/dev/mmcblk0p1: TYPE="vfat"

# mkdir -p "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1" || exit 1

# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=0 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"

# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,commit=3600,data=ordered)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=227608k,nr_inodes=56902,mode=755)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_prio)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw,size=512k)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=307200k)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb2 on /hwcollect type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /media/sdb1 type pmxcache (rw,relatime,fstype=ufsd,pmxcache=pmxfs,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)
/dev/sda1 on /DataVolume type pmxcache (rw,relatime,fstype=ufsd,pmxcache=pmxfs,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)
/dev/sda1 on /shares/Storage type pmxcache (rw,relatime,fstype=ufsd,pmxcache=pmxfs,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)
/dev/sda1 on /var/ftp/Storage type pmxcache (rw,relatime,fstype=ufsd,pmxcache=pmxfs,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1 type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,time_offset=0,errors=remount-ro)

# cd /media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1/
# ls
DCIM/
# cd DCIM/
# ls
106_FUJI/
# cd 106_FUJI/
# ls
DSCF6879.JPG* DSCF6879.RAF* DSCF6880.JPG* DSCF6880.RAF*

Mounting trying to find the time offset ‘danger point’

[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=780 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"
mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1 failed: Invalid argument
[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=400 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"
[root@MyPassport /]# umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=500 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"
[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=600 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"
[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=700 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"
[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=750 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"
mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1 failed: Invalid argument
umount: can't umount /dev/mmcblk0p1: Invalid argument
[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=740 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"
[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=730 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"
[root@MyPassport /]# mount -t auto -o async,utf8=1,noatime,nodiratime,time_offset=720 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1"

exfat
=====

# blkid /dev/mmcblk0p1
/dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL="FujiSD" UUID="9230-8168" TYPE="exfat" PARTUUID="2698aaa9-01"

# mount -t ufsd -o trace=off,async,force,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,bias=-780 "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1";

# mount

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,commit=3600,data=ordered)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=227608k,nr_inodes=56902,mode=755)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_prio)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw,size=512k)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=307200k)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb2 on /hwcollect type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /media/sdb1 type pmxcache (rw,relatime,fstype=ufsd,pmxcache=pmxfs,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)
/dev/sda1 on /DataVolume type pmxcache (rw,relatime,fstype=ufsd,pmxcache=pmxfs,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)
/dev/sda1 on /shares/Storage type pmxcache (rw,relatime,fstype=ufsd,pmxcache=pmxfs,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)
/dev/sda1 on /var/ftp/Storage type pmxcache (rw,relatime,fstype=ufsd,pmxcache=pmxfs,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/SDCard_mmcblk0p1 type ufsd (rw,relatime,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,nocase,force)

In terms of an actual solution, modifying the mount command to force a time_offset=0 has no obvious bad effect and my SD card imports work (image file times are still 13 hours off as they always were). Seems to persist reboots but I’m assuming a factory reset or firmware update will overwrite it.

I was in New Zealand in January, using my Wireless Pro to back up SD cards from my Panasonic GX8 camera - without problem. The raw (.RW2) files were copied off the SD cards fine.

The cards were SanDisk Extreme 90MB/s, one 128Gb and four 16Gb, all formatted in camera to Fat32.

The camera had its ‘home’ time set to UK (BST), and was set to use NZ ‘world time’ so the jpg and rw2 files were time-stamped in NZ time. For an example jpg on the Wireless Pro, in the Exif data the ‘date taken’ is “06-Jan-18 16:49”, the ‘Date created’ is “06-Jan-18 08:20” and the ‘Date modified’ is “06-Jan-18 08:27”. For the same jpg file but on its SD card, the values are the same except that ‘Date created’ is “06-Jan-18 08:27”. The ‘date taken’ is the correct local NZ time the photo was taken. I hope this helps the diagnosis.

No, it does not work. Since the firmware version 1.04.17 (01/08/2018) has been updated, no SD cards and Canon cameras are detected. The SD cards are formatted with the camera. Remedy has only brought downgrade to the previous version. From my years of experience with WD I can only say that it is always due to the dirty programmed software. My service ticket has also brought no result.

Sorry, my native language is German.

Nein, es funktioniert nicht. Seit dem Update auf die Version Firmware Release 1.04.17 (01/08/2018) werden keine SD-Karten und Canon-Kameras erkannt. Die SD-Karten werden mit der Kamera formatiert. Abhilfe hat nur ein Downgrade auf die vorherige Version gebracht. Aus meiner jahrelangen Erfahrung mit WD kann ich nur sagen, dass es immer an der unsauber programmierten Software liegt. Mein Service-Ticket hat auch kein Ergebnis gebracht.

@Berecke, I would try doing a scandisk to ensure the drive’s file system is still healthy. Also, check the web dashboard to see if it is also not showing SD/USB as a mounted storage (if you were using mobile app) and see if there is anything abnormal. Then, file a ticket with WD support team for help.

I’m nit referring to the camera time - this is the time ‘inside’ the WD Wireless Passport Pro itself.

My understanding based on other issues here is that if you connect to the passport dashboard (URL) then it will take the local time of the browser you are using to view it - did you ever do that with a computer set to NZDT?

Do you feel like doing an experiment and setting your computer to NZDT to get the passport to pick that time up (and confirm that) then trying a FAT32 import? :slight_smile:

I didn’t connect to the dashboard whilst in NZ, I only used the iPad app to view files on the drive to check that they were copying ok.

I will experiment with NZ time on my laptop in the next few days.

I can tell you that all SD cards are from premium manufacturers. Mostly Samsung, Toshiba or SanDisk. All SD cards are formatted FAT32 or exFAT. All SD cards work in the cameras (Canon EOS 7D MKII and EOS M5) and in Windows 10. Only SD cards and USB devices or cameras are not recognized under the latest firmware. Everything runs satisfactorily under the previous firmware. Of course I have set the Wireless Pro to factory settings in all firmware versions. I mean that in the latest firmware is a bug in the software. I have several products from WD and know the problems of their software.

Ich kann ihnen sagen, dass alle SD-Karten von Premiumherstellern sind. Meist Samsung, Toshiba oder SanDisk. Alle SD-Karten sind FAT32 formatiert oder exFAT. Alle SD-Karte funktionieren in den Kameras (Canon EOS 7D MKII und EOS M5) und unter Windows 10. Nur unter neusten Firmware werden keine SD-Karten und keine USB-Geräte oder Kameras erkannt. Unter der vorherigen Firmware läuft alles zufriedenstellend. Selbstverständlich habe ich in allen Firmwareversionen die Wireless Pro auf Werkseinstellung gesetzt. Ich meine, das in der neusten Firmware ein Bug in der Software vorliegt. Ich besitze diverse Produkte von WD und kenne die Probleme ihren Software.

I’ve just opened a thread about an issue with reading SD/USB, see if it helps