NOT SUPPORT .SRT SUBTITLE CODING (like <i> for italic font)

WDTV cannot translate the coding of .srt file like {\a6}Now whenever I eat, . Those text are displayed just like that too not translated into italic font (for ) and not at the top of the screen (for {\a6} )

Same here, also I noticed that subtitle is not perfectly on center but it is a bit on left.

You did not expect WD’s support of any given standard actually refer to support of the complete standard, did you?

Yup they don’t, would be really really nice if they did though since over 75% of the videos I watch uses subtitles and most of them have special encoding for multiple lines of subtitles. ■■■■■ missing out on those.

But then again, I think few media players have such support, its not just the WDTV.

Yeah, let’s be reasonable here; the SRT spec doesn’t support the styles and positioning that people shove into their subs.  Software players might support it but my DivX certified DVD player also won’t show SRT styles.

Use the correct type of subtitles if you want styles (e.g. SSA or A.SS).  But WD’s support of those needs fixing a bit! :wink:

There are legitimate issues with subtitle support but you can’t complain about things not in the SRT spec.  

Vote for one of the many subtitle Ideas in the Ideas Lab if you want to increase priority for adding new ‘features’ to the Live or fixing subtitle bugs.

Displaying the contents of curly brackets is a pain and needs fixing.  Anime subs often have entire conversations documented in the ‘comments’ and it totally obscures the actual dialogue. 

PixelPower wrote:

Yeah, let’s be reasonable here; the SRT spec doesn’t support the styles and positioning that people shove into their subs.

Is that so? Any link to the specs to verify that?

Techflaws wrote:

PixelPower wrote:

Yeah, let’s be reasonable here; the SRT spec doesn’t support the styles and positioning that people shove into their subs.

Is that so? Any link to the specs to verify that?

The only semi-reputable link I can provide is this:

http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/srt.html

Then there’s the wikipedia page on the SubRip format:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip

No mention of support for html tags like or .  No mention of support for positioning or simultaneous display of multiple lines at once (e.g. two people talking at once).

Compare to SSA/**bleep**.

Well, I’d say this one on Doom9 isn’t less reputable but it mentions those tags.

Techflaws wrote:

Well, I’d say this one on Doom9 isn’t less reputable but it mentions those tags.

I would say that the real problem is that there is no actual standard. The thread that you refer to is entitled ‘SRT [SubRip] file format specification needed’. How many people are going to implement this format correctly if they have to look into the source code to find out the basic spec.

Apparently the MPC guys did or they read a thread like that. Apparently WD did less research, that’s why the first firmware of the original WD displayed all tags.

Another issue I noticed is that when ’ is used in the subtitles, all the following subtitles that appear after it aren’t displayed. So “I’ll be treating everyone today” becomes “I’”.

Anyone else noticed this? It works correctly when ' is used for inverted commas though.

(I increased font size so its easier to tell them apart.)

Edit: Turns out I have to leave Additional encoding support as Western Europe for it to be displayed correctly.