NFS File Permissions from Windows Client

When I create a new folder on the root directory of the WD NFS share from a windows machine VIA NFS, it auto creates the director with 755 permissions…How do I change that so when the windows client creates directories in the NFS share 777 automatically?

Have you tried using SSH to access the My Cloud an change that folder’s permissions if you cannot do so through NFS?

Yes, I can do that and it works just fine, the problem is that every time after that when I create new folders, I would then have to SSH to the folder and change it to 777. So, obviously, that’s not viable solution to do EVERY time a new folder is created by windows.

umask 0000; in profile

or

setfacl -dmo::rwx /nfs/username-or-sub-path;

Are you sure it’s not 3 zeros for UMASK??!!

Okay, I got it.

However, still having an issue:

When the windows client creates a dir or file, it creates it using UID 65543, and GID 1000, which as I understand it means it has no ownership, therefore 65543. however, this confuses me because the mount point from the windows client is using the Root UN and PW. so why isn’t the GUI and UID of files and folders it creates 0x0? I look under etc/passd and Root is set to 0:0 (UID:0, GID:0).

If I SSH into the NAS using the same credentials as the windows client and create a DIR, it creates the dir with UID 0, and GID 0, which is what I’m intending.

So, why is the windows client creating directories using 65543?

NFS by default export the root path as nobody (UID:65534) but the group in this case has been set to group share (GID:1000) must be something done by WD to accommodate MyCloud structures.

Edit nano /etc/exports; then exportfs -a;.

what if I just change the anonuid=0 ?? Will that work?

Confused about the -a; not sure where to add it, this is what it looks like now:

/nfs *(rw,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check,insecure,crossmnt,anonuid=0,anongid=1000)

It should. exportfs -a; is the command with a switch “-a” to export “all” paths from /etc/exports.

appriciate your help, not a linux guru. So, after I change the anonUID to 0 , then run exportfs -a; ?

NP. Yes just run the command after any changes.

That worked Sir! Thanks!