New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 1.16.13 (7/23/13)

wongnog wrote:
When I mark a folder from my media library as a favorite, I am not able to access it from the dashboard. Also my favorites in the dashboard are missing the heart symbol, and sometimes I get duplicate folders from my media library which I cannot un-favorite and remove from the dashboard. When I click on one of these favorited folders, the wdtv says “The last content source has been removed. Please select a new content source.”

I am able to reach my folder but have to go through my media library, which defeats the purpose of the favorites and the dashboard. I saw a support article for a similar bug with the 1.15 firmware, but I can’t get it to work with 1.16. Rolling back to 1.13 seems to solve things, but then I find that firmware runs slow on my unit and the GUI often freezes on me.

Anyone have a resolution for my problems? Thanks.

I have the exact same problem.

Hope a solution will come out soon. Thanks

Regards

Bill, are you still out there? Can you please acknowledge this bug or offer a workaround solution? How about an eta on firmware 1.17?

I do believe I recollect reading this response a long time back, the last time I posted this. I can only speak from my own experience of course. But I did have it working perfectly fine. If I hadn’t my wife would have killed me, and I don’t recollect that happening either lol … I used to listen to radio programs at night in the dark, no logo floating around. This was quite a while back, and when the following update came out, it no longer worked. I’ve resorted to an old MP3 player and having to download what is available instead of being able to stream whatever I might want, with a black screen.

So guys, which firmware works best with a windows 7 network share and this device?

I’ve seen no difference in connectivity over the last firmwares. My Win 7 worked right out of the box without changing any default settings like turning off homegroups.

wongnog wrote:
So guys, which firmware works best with a windows 7 network share and this device?

1.16.13 (latest rev released 7/23) works great for me. I have nearly all my media on a Windows7 file server and have not had any issues so far.

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Product Update

-P

With 1.16.13, the SMP cannot connect to My Media Library (which is from a Windows 7 NAS) on first bootup.  I always have to turn the device off and back on for it to see my files.  Rolling back to 1.13.18 seems to have resolved this, but after a while I find this firmware makes the unit run very sluggish.  I just did a rollback today and reset to factory defaults so we’ll see how things go.

Am I the only one with these connectivity problems?

All my media (Video/Audio) is on a File Server on my network and my SMP attaches to those shares immediately at boot without issue. I do not use the media library though, which I think you are saying you do in your post. Not sure if that is the difference or not but if so, perhaps try turning the ML off and seeing if it fixes the issue.

-P

Yes I am specifically talking about My Media Library. It is able to connect via Network Shares, but you can’t favorite a folder or set sort criteria unless you are in My Media Library.

I’ve rolled back to 1.15.10 and My Network Shares and My Media Library works fine now, including favorited folders via the Dashboard.  I wish WD would acknowledge this bug either in the forum or in the knowledge base.

Seem to be having problems with mp4 vids.  I’m getting the random freeze and fast forward issue.  Wasn’t happening on earlier firmware.  Iam using a wired connection.  Here is media info:

Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Apple audio with iTunes info
Codec ID                                 : M4A
File size                                : 83.4 MiB
Duration                                 : 20mn 42s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 563 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2011-11-07 15:34:15
Tagged date                              : UTC 2011-11-07 15:34:15

Video
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 7 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 504 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 3 805 Kbps
Width                                    : 704 pixels
Height                                   : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.075
Stream size                              : 74.5 MiB (89%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 114 r1924 08d04a4
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=504 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=65 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=62500 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=0 / zones=1,2374,q=18
Encoded date                             : UTC 2011-11-07 15:34:16
Tagged date                              : UTC 2011-11-07 15:34:17

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 56.3 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 61.3 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 8.33 MiB (10%)
Language                                 : English
Encoded date                             : UTC 2011-11-07 15:34:15
Tagged date                              : UTC 2011-11-07 15:34:17

Well, the most unusual thing with that file is that it appears to be an AUDIO file.  Format profile is “Apple Audio,” and the codec is M4A.

Yes I noticed the same thing.  It does display as video with audio though.  I usually don’t look that deeply into the structure of the file so I don’t know for sure if that type of  encode is good or bad.  The fact that it does seem to play with issues suggests that it’s a problem?

for a file that’s under 84mb in filesize, spend a couple of minutes and re-encode it

eg.Handbrake, Avidemux, XVID4PSP etc etc

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion Joey.  Used handbrake and re-encoded to .mkv.  Works fine now.:smiley:

hi … i want to ask about my WD TV Live SMP (3rd gen), everytime i play the movie (.mkv) in this WD TV, there are always has a problem, like hang or cannot stop the movie, 90% always hang in the middle of the movie, i always plug out the power cord and plug in again. 10% always cannot stop when the movie is finish by press stop button in the remote … btw i use the new firmware (1.16.13). please for the solution, i almost frustrating with this problem … thanks

@ official WD (if someone is still following / answering this forum…)

When will the next firmware release be available ?

Now 3 months without any correction to bugs introduced with v.1.16.13 (like broken favorite dashboard)…

Please do supply estimated planning (even rough one) and included corrections.

Thanks in advance !

fredfbe wrote:

Now 3 months without any correction to bugs introduced with v.1.16.13 (like broken favorite dashboard)…

Thanks in advance !

Good luck with that, however those type of questions have never been answered before.

fredfbe wrote:

Thanks in advance !

The WD Community was created for Users -such as yourself- to help one another and to share your experiences and ideas with one another.  As Moderators, we are simply here to facilitate and oversee the Community. If you have a question or issue related to the WD Community itself, us Moderators will be happy to respond and assist you. However, if you are looking for technical support from WD, you will need to contact them directly.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

How about a reply from Bill_S, the Community Manager? He should have insight on eta for the next firmware release. Any information would help.