New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 1.15.10 (3/28/13)

I agree bugs have been introduced in past firmware but I wouldn’t call this a useless update.

For the people who this fixes the language bugs for its a anything but and for the rest of us it does no damage since the rest of the firmware is unaffected.

As for the bugs there being worked on but its not always a simple fix.

Of course there many issue which have nothing to do with the wd and much to do with networks be picky and requiring a reset once something is changed.

I’m sure there were good intentions for this release Magnus33 but in the process of making some things easier, they neglected to protect the systems already out there.  My system is now broken. It wasn’t broken before the update but now it is.  It cannot be used in the way it was intended any longer as a result of this update. I know I’m nit picking and not looking at your big picture, but its broken and no one has a fix for my device.

JazMac wrote:

None of the reset methods seem to do anything.  When I plug in the USB cable to the drive, the device recognizes its there because I get the “connecting to the USB storage” indicator.  But when its done, nothing.

Sorry, but what do you mean?   What are you expecting it to do?  Have you set the Content Source appropriately?

JazMac wrote:
I can’t use a USB device to down grade the firmware so how else can I do it?

Have you tried doing from an USB stick?

Have you been following just part of the thread?   If you mean have I selected Local Storage as the content source in the same way I have for years,  the answer is I tried to. But since the 1.15.10 firmware update broke my device, no USB connected device can be selected. It only says, NO STORAGE PRESENT. No thumb drive or my 1TB hard drive that I’ve used with this device since I got it NO LONGER FUNCTIONS.  No hardware reset, no software reset has altered this dynamic.  

Its not my first day with this device. I’ve owned this one for almost a year. And I’ve owner others in prior years. 

Updates have worked in the past but the 1.15.10 firmware update disabled functionality and I don’t yet know how to resolve it.  I cannot downgrade using the method posted eariler because it requires to use of a USB drive.

Again, the 1.15.10 disabled my USB connectors. It is rendered for the purposes I got it, USELESS.

What I suspect is if I cannot find a way to fix this I am looking at spending money for a new device.  I don’t believe Western Digital will replace it. Its not how these companies operate. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am.

I don’t mean to sound bitter cause its not your fault. Its those that put this update out who is responsible.  I’m feeling a bit helpless as to what to do next. This is my 3rd device but I will NOT purchase another Western Digital device if it goes down like this.

You say that you have owned it for almost 1 year, have you checked the warranty on it. Have you even contacted WD support?

This firmware made my player unusable. It can see the folders and files but it hangs when i play them

Restart your computer , router and the wd and it should return to normal.

JazMac i dont think it was the firmware that killed the usb ports.

I think the unit is failing and is in need of replacing.

If its under warrenty i dont think your going to have any problems getting it replaced.

Upgrading with thier firmware doesn’t violate thier warrenty and in this case it sounds more like a hardware failure.

You should have no problem getting it replaced.

Usb stopped working and its as stable as LIndsy Lohan which for your unit is the truth sadly.

JazMac wrote:

Have you been following just part of the thread?

I simply find it hard to believe that a firmware update should kill any port. I have read the occasional mention here that USB sticks would work when HDDs would not. And when USB sticks would not work, another stick would do the trick all the time. But that BOTH ports are rendered completely useless (by software no less) is a first. I’m too on 1.15.10 and both ports are still up and running.

Unless WD chimes in, I guess you’ll just have to wait for the next official update and do this over Internet to see if it makes a difference.

I AGAIN have to rollback to 1.11.x. Every update since then has the SAME problem. When you try to jump to a specific time in a video file it hangs. I just get the looping arrow. If I roll back to 1.11.x it works fine. Screw doing a factory reset either, if it works rolling back to an older version it should work on an upgrade. I don’t know what’s going on, but the product was a very solid product up until the last 6 months and these latest firmware releases have turned the product into a sh!t show.

That’s weird.  I use Skip To Time frequently and never have had a problem in any version…

It was a FIRMWARE update. Not a software update. Big difference.

Anyway, I’ll look at a warranty and if accepted I’ll have it repaired.  Then, I’ll sell it and try another solution, like Roku or Popcorn.  I’m done wrestling with this issue.  Thanks guys just the same.

JazMac wrote:

It was a FIRMWARE update. Not a software update. Big difference.

Yeah, it’s “firmware” because it’s stored in non-volatile memory.

But it’s an ordinary Linux system running on a purpose-built CPU – not worth any semantic debate. :wink:

In the same vein, my PC running on a SSD means that Windows is “firmware” on my system, not software.   No difference.  :)

Hate to burst that bubble but all these devices deal with issues along these lines.

Upgrading any PC over older firmware over the internet and you run the risk of something going wrong.

All these devices have issues along these lines and there no perfect solution.

Ruku do it, apple TV,boxee (well they just fail).

I owned most and still own the major ones and you well find the same complaints in every forum.

There are exceptions like the boxee box or Equiso android on a stick which  had crappy support and dishonest backers.

Magnus33 wrote:

Yikes first time posters.

Folks many of the problems your have nothing to do with the firmware.

There no ten min delay in playing files and  its likely got to do with your network.

The wireless not connecting is nothing new and well documented and just requires you deleting the wireless connection and unplugging the device and plugging back in.

A quick reboot of your router and your good to go as before.

Don’t go assuming its the devices before you rule out other possibilities.

These devices are mostly plug and play but they are at the whims of the netwrok and storage setup.

If either one of those has got proablems its affects the device.

I think I speak for everyone that we’re all so very sorry we haven’t had more problems with our WD media players so that we can be on this board more.

Fact is, we’re all seeing the same kind of things after this update. Everything worked before, and now after the update simple things like connecting to a share… or even seeing a USB key or hard drive doesn’t work.

So how can it be that our perfectly functioning equipment somehow no longer functons properly – when it was only the updated firmware that’s changed?

Feel better?

People are trying to help and a 75% of the time the issue has nothing to do with the firmware.

Also these devices are bascily just simple pc’s and your putting firmware over firmware over firmware over the internet.

Most pc dont work very well after you do that repeatly but are suprised when something just doesn’t go correctly.

Add this to the fact that media shares and networks tend not to like  large changes without being restarted and you get another possiable area problems.

Slayer found this out and when he restarted his the issue he was having went poof.

Iam sorry your having issues but anoying the people trying to help isn’t going to fix the problem.

Yes maybe the firmware bad…not very like since there so few reporting issues.

For some its not the device that at fault but there setup causing the problems.

For some it could be the download got curpted which is a risk with any update or any download.

So its your choice blame the firmware and grumble or ask for help and maybe we can track dow the issue.

If we can’t and the device is toast and it does turn out to be the firmware bad we can get help and warn others.

Good luck either way.

gabbagabba wrote:
Fact is, we’re all seeing the same kind of things after this update.

No, we don’t, as Tony and me repeatedly stated.

gabbagabba wrote:

I think I speak for everyone that we’re all so very sorry we haven’t had more problems with our WD media players so that we can be on this board more.

Sorry, but I don’t log on that often due to the attitude of some of these users.> This board is NOT a western digital help desk run by westerndigital employees - it is a community!  If your ONLY reason to post on this community is to report problems then why do users like Magnus33 and Techflaws need to post anything then?  They don’t appear to be having any problems? > I can understand why these users that are trying to help everyone sometimes get fustrated.  They try to help all the users within in the community out of the goodness of their heart.  What do they get in return? People wanting to argue with their answers/suggestions.> Don’t get me wrong, please post as many questions that you have on here but at least ask them in a civil way.  If the answer is not what you were expecting just politely acknowledge and move on.  Also, if the answer/suggestion given to you fixes the problem take the time to get back onto the forum and let everyone know that it fixed the problem - it does 2 things - acknowledges the person who gave you the answer/suggestion/advice and lets other people know that this could be a solution that works.> Ever heard the saying - “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you”?

for those with usb issues… if you’ve done a reset by using a paper clip to the button under the box…  I believe it sets the device back to factory defaults. and that includes building a media library.  so if you reset the device… make sure you set that option back to OFF … otherwise it may take a while… (also before pushing the reset button… make sure you’ve saved all your network userid’s passwords/ ip addresses etc… to avoid net work issues too.  I’ve kept a list of everything that needs to be changed when i reset so that’s made things easier…so before you jump at the reset know that you might need to re-configure things back the way you want them … not how it comes from the factory… good luck…