New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 1.15.10 (3/28/13)

Didn’t work out so well for my device.  Since the update, my USB drive no longer show up.  All other updates were successful in the past. All were done via the internet and had no problem. This update, 1.15.10 broke USB connectivity. Neither USB port work now.  Is there a way to roll back since I don’t expect, as these things go, there to be a firmware fix anytime soon?

1 Like

JazMac wrote:

Didn’t work out so well for my device.  Since the update, my USB drive no longer show up.  All other updates were successful in the past. All were done via the internet and had no problem. This update, 1.15.10 broke USB connectivity. Neither USB port work now.  Is there a way to roll back since I don’t expect, as these things go, there to be a firmware fix anytime soon?

You’re the first to report that extreme change – I would suggest you try unplugging all your USB devices, resetting the unit to factory defaults via the menu, and also plug your USB disks into your PC to check for errors.

If necessary, rollback here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

I would wait. Especially if you are not having any of the trouble this firmware update is supposed to address. My device can no longer see USB drives after the update so it would be wise to wait on this one.

There a reset buttion on the bottom of the device (requires a paper clip).

Its hold for like 10 sec release hold for another 10 sec tell it resets.

Keep trying tell it does the time varies depending on  its setup.

Updating the device over the internet always runs the risk of it not downloading correctly although its fairly rare as you seen.

I’ll do that because this was completely unexpected and I love this little box.  Thanks.  BTW, I already checked the drive on my computer for errors.  Its got everything on it and I’m able to move files on it.

What the router your using?

Magnus33 wrote:

There a reset buttion on the bottom of the device (requires a paper clip).

Its hold for like 10 sec release hold for another 10 sec tell it resets.

Doing that will only change between NTSC / PAL.  

A system reset is only a momentary press / release.

Linksys AE2700

I agree alough its behaves oddly .

I got one that does that and another that requires a longer press.

I should have mentioned that though so good catch.

None of the reset methods seem to do anything.  When I plug in the USB cable to the drive, the device recognizes its there because I get the “connecting to the USB storage” indicator.  But when its done, nothing.  Best to try to roll it back next since this update was a bust.

Thanks all for the quick assist.

As I think about it, I have one more question since I have never had to do this before. Is there a way to connect to this device from my desktop?  I can’t use a USB device to down grade the firmware so how else can I do it?

I hate those routers.

Got a linksys 3200 and the E series never quite lived up to promise.

I use mine as a repeater to to my rt-n56u and its running totamto-usb firmware.

HAve you tried a wired conection to see if the video still has a delayed playback?

I can confirm the problems with the network beeing slow don’t come from the WD. However can somebody confirm that the options button is not working anymore? It’s when you go to a specific file and the push options on the remote. Normally you get the screen to choose for example to delete the file. This doesn’t work anymore here.

Magnus33 wrote:

Yikes first time posters.

Folks many of the problems your have nothing to do with the firmware.

There no ten min delay in playing files and  its likely got to do with your network.

The wireless not connecting is nothing new and well documented and just requires you deleting the wireless connection and unplugging the device and plugging back in.

A quick reboot of your router and your good to go as before.

Don’t go assuming its the devices before you rule out other possibilities.

These devices are mostly plug and play but they are at the whims of the netwrok and storage setup.

If either one of those has got proablems its affects the device.

What’s with the snarky ‘first time posters’ comment? Some of us don’t make it a habit of frequenting forums, and for us to do so should just go to show how frustrated we are. Sorry we’re not all forum ‘pros’.

My network is not the issue, the player hangs when playing some videos straight from hard drives too. I didn’t say there was a 10 min delay to play files, I said after 10 mins of waiting after hitting ‘play’ and staring at the frozen arrow, I usually give up and just pull the player out of the power socket since the remote is pretty much useless when the device is stuck.

A ‘quick reboot’ (which is far from being ‘quick’) as you’ve suggested sometimes does help, but it’s always a temporary solution, not to mention a rather annoying one. Doing so reminds me of the old B&W TV I had in the 70’s which I would have to kick on occasion to get decent reception.

Granted, my issues [and as I can see many others’] are not with the latest firmware. It was merely a suggestion for a future update, in hopes that the hanging issues would finally be resolved. Although I imagine since it hasn’t happened yet, I shouldn’t hold my breath.

oh, and as a paying customer who paid full price for this product, I’d like to think that I have every right to speak my mind on how well it works, or as is the case quite often, does NOT work.  If this player didn’t have the ‘hanging’ and the frequent video compatibility issues, it would hands down be the best ‘budget’ media player on the market.  Personally, I would have paid its full price plus 50% on that if it worked flawlessly.

Mine seems to work well. Its always been consistant for me. 

Dont be taking it personal its not meant that way

Its because so many dont bother reading  and merely post that the WD is at fault.

In this case its more glaring then before since the updates in this build were cosmetic and not about fuction.

So for example the wireless code in this firmware is exatly the same as in the firmware before.

Yet there always posters after ever firmware update that the wireless doesn’t work.

Most routers retain old conections for a period of time so both the router and the unit need to be rebooted to fush the conection.

Post isn’t a requirement by any means but reading the stickys would be a good idea before blameing the device.

Just checked and options still work.

Maybe a reset and then upgrade from USB would fix the issue for you.

(or do like me last week and forget to put new batteries in.Serious daaa moment there.LOL)

Magnus33, first time posters or not, a lot of bug\issue are introduced from 1.13-1.14 firmware, this is a fact.

This version 1.15.10, is only a useless upgrade, i hope (but i think you hope too) that western digital fix open issue and implement some of the new ideas that are listed in ideas area.

1 Like

I can try whatever I want. The options button doesn’t work. Only after I start the video the options button works. But then there is no option to delete the file.

Slayer: what’s your content source set to? I can tell you that on all of my boxes, options works the same as it always has…

Given what you describe, I’ll bet your content source is set to some read-only source.

I found out what it was. I had to turn off the Media Library and just reconnect my WD Book Live Duo. Now it works like before. Strange…