New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.43 (1/17/13)

Since updating to 1.06.42_V on my WD TV Live Model WDAAP0000NBK, every time I start the media player the thumbnails have to refresh. It’s annoying. It used to be they’d sit in a cache and all be there when the player read my external hard drive.
I’ve tried a hard reset - unplugging the poer for 15 seconds - but it still happens.
Is there a solution?
I wish I could roll back to a previous firmware but I suspect the media player would start again to ask me whether I’d like to download the latest firmware.

Could somebody offer me a solution to either
a/ Have thumbnails cashe again or
b/ Roll back to a previous firmware and disable asking for updated firmware

Thanks for your time

If this helps anyone: I had to rollback to 1.06.15 for the intolerable play/resume delay to disappear.  

Now I just have to put up with the “Update Firmware?” at startup. Is there any way to stop this coming up every time?

new Youtube layout **bleep**:dizzy_face:

when i type: abc in the search field the first letter that appears is the c

a and b are outside the visible screen.

first screen with menu:

DISCOVER CHANNELS
SEARCH
MY YOUTUBE
FEATURED

looks like this:

SCOVER CHANNELS

DI are outside the visible screen

please give back the old Youtube layout!!!

@Niglus

block www.support.wdc.com from within your router. Mine will even let me select trusted IPs on the network to allow access to the site once blocked.

Thanks for the tip  sewercyde. Unfortunately my router is still not blocking, I’m obviously doing something wrong - I’ll work on it …

Boy am I getting tired of this device - anyone suggest a decent alternative? :smiley:

i can confirm the problems with 3TB-disks, my WD mybook essential 3 tb is not working with the current FW.

tried downgrading to 1.06.15V, which also did not help…

is it possible to go back to 1.05.04 without bricking the device?

or any suggestions?

It is possible to go back to 1.05.04 and at least one user has reported no problems in doing just that. However WD must have found something wrong to issue the advice not to.

Rolled back to _41 - no issues at all except the purple screen…

This new release ruined the media player for me , it’s useless , do they even make any tests on those updates before putting it out there??? Very slow , freezes , doesn’t open my connected hard drive unless i disconnect and restart few times , what r u guys doing ? Have you decided suddenly to crash you own product or wht???

t88132 wrote:

Yes I can confirm the same issue … can’t connect to a hidden wireless network.

I don’t think the issue is a hidden network provides “no protection whatsoever”.  I think the issue is that any network device should be able to connect to them and that if they don’t… it’s clearly an issue.

WiFi specification requires a visible SSID, if you’re not broadcasting one it’s not the WDTV’s fault. It’s your fault for turning it off, and maybe your router’s fault for not warning you that it’s a pointless thing to do and it might break things.

Here’s a list of all the effects hiding your SSID has:

• Reduces security.

• Gives false sense of security.

• Creates compatibility problems.

• Reduces network performance.

• Makes connecting less convenient for you.

That’s it, that’s all the effects. Notice increasing security is not included in them at all.

I rolled back to 1.06.15_V as per  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzU4ODU3MzM2L3NpZC9UZE9xNVhnbA%3D%3D and I’m able to play videos with high bitrate again with no issues, and no lag on start/pause/forward/rewind. 

Thanks, Techflaws, that’s good information.

karl_w_w wrote:

WiFi specification requires a visible SSID, if you’re not broadcasting one it’s not the WDTV’s fault. It’s your fault for turning it off, and maybe your router’s fault for not warning you that it’s a pointless thing to do and it might break things.

Ugh.   That’s not true at all.

There is nothing in any WiFi standard that requires a broadcast SSID.  Nothing at all.

I’ve also problems with the new firmware with 3d and blu-ray films. Now, i’m trying to return to old firmware.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

karl_w_w wrote:

Ugh.   That’s not true at all.

There is nothing in any WiFi standard that requires a broadcast SSID.  Nothing at all.

http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11-2007.pdf

Page 80.

Uh, no. All that says is that a beacon MUST contain an SSID. It does not mandate the device advertise its SSID in a beacon.

So you’re saying now that the beacon is optional? Sure, if you don’t want your wireless LAN to work at all.

You may debate the finer points put the main point still stands: hiding your SSID does nothing to increase security but causes connection problems instead so there’s no point in doing it. If you’re afraid you’re neighbour might guess it’s your network, just give it a fancy name like “arglbargl” or “mykeyhas63chars” or something.

Robewd wrote:
This new release ruined the media player for me , it’s useless , do they even make any tests on those updates before putting it out there?

Sure, and guess what: no slow-downs, freezes or trouble connecting to my HDDs.

karl_w_w wrote:

So you’re saying now that the beacon is optional? Sure, if you don’t want your wireless LAN to work at all.

No, I did not say that.  I said that the advertisement of the SSID within the beacon is optional.  The standard requires *AN* SSID to be part of the beacon frame.   In addition to the “actual” SSID, the standard also allows for a NULL SSID in any management frame.

BTW, I don’t think this thread is the best place for this topic.    If you like, open another thread.

Hi

Same problem for me … NO BBC iPlayer !!!

Did you manage to get it back ?