New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.43 (1/17/13)

Hello,

As the user Niglus reported earlier, after updating I have VERY SLOW response when starting a new video or after fast-forwarding. When I say slow response, I mean that it takes around 20 seconds for the video to start again.

I am accessing my videos throught a wired network share.

Cheers,

AP

petthebunny wrote:> After methodically going through all the various levels of control/authentication I think I’ve narrowed down the problem.  Everything works fine as long as I don’t use/need any sort of password to log into the router.  As soon as I have to enter a password, the WDTV is unable to get an IP address.  This is odd because if I enter the router password wrong, the WDTV immediately tells me that the password is incorrect so it is going through the authentication steps properly and getting a connection…it just seems to discard this information once it gets to the next steps in the setup.

Anyways, I hope that this will be helpful to someone…and if anyone can think of anything else to try it would be appreciated.

One more update to this issue.  It would also appear that the WDTV can no longer connect to a router that does not broadcast it’s SSID publicly.  Even though the WDTV knows the SSID, can detect it and talk to it, it will not be able to obtain an IP address if the router does not broadcast it’s SSID and/or requires a password.  So basically I have to leave my whole network virtually unprotected in order for the WDTV to connect to it now.  This was definitely not the case prior to the upgrade.

Anyways, the last line of defence I have in my wireless network is to restrict access on my router to MAC addresses that it knows.  I’m not really comfortable with this on a long term basis, so perhaps I’ll look at getting another router and directly connect my WDTV to it.

Can anyone else verify whether or not they had issues like this with their wireless network?

petthebunny wrote:

petthebunny wrote:> ++++ WDTV is unable to get an IP address.  +++++

Have you tried giving it a static ip or logging into the router and releasing previous ip assigned to that MAC or just plain rebooting the router?

I too can no longer access network shares.  It gets the media server, so I can stream and play media content, but will not attempt the network.

It does not show up in my network list in Win Explorer (and I thought it did)… but interestingly it shows up in the network map when you look at the properties.

I also find it is re-booting itself more often… but was doing that too under the old software.

Frustrating.

Might just get out the Astone.

petthebunny wrote:
It would also appear that the WDTV can no longer connect to a router that does not broadcast it’s SSID publicly.  Even though the WDTV knows the SSID, can detect it and talk to it, it will not be able to obtain an IP address if the router does not broadcast it’s SSID and/or requires a password.  So basically I have to leave my whole network virtually unprotected in order for the WDTV to connect to it now.  

Actually, you have been all along cause hiding the SSID gives you no protection whatsoever but causes only connection problems.

Tried suggested things including resets, homegroup off and on… password off and on, the paperclip reset… and then turned the router off and after a few seconds turned it back on… and suddenly I have network share.

Can only assume the router had old settings… and I had done a soft reset before… but that didn’t get rid of the old settings.

EDIT:  And by the way the WD Live now appears in my network list along with other computers on the network.

++++ WDTV is unable to get an IP address.  +++++

Same problem here with Netgear WGT624v3 router.

petthebunny> Can anyone else verify whether or not they had issues like this with their wireless network?

Exactly the same annoying behavior as you described: WDTV cannot connect to the “non broadcasted” wifi network (NETGEAR WNR3500L <—> WDTV + D-Link DWA-131). Previous firmware version (1.06.15) has not had this issue.

UPD: also something wrong now with MP3 playback from network shares and with TuneIn/Digitally Imported stations.

Anybody have some double clicking while in youtube plugin or something?

This release is awful - lots of problems

• stop often doesn’t stop. It takes me back to the menu but I can still hear the audio from the film in the background
  • pause often doesn’t pause, it will often end up with the blue buffering circle showing in the middle of the video while it still plays

The only way to recover from these is a power reset.

• it will sometimes say it can’t play the video format even though it has been playing it for the past 30 minutes and continues to play it anyway
  • it often doesn’t remember where you got to so after a stop, you have to FFWD through the movie to get back to the point you were at.
  • it can be very slow to discover network devices, and when it finds them, very slow to browse the media and to start playing it…though other times it is quick.

Essentially now it can take 2/3 power cycles to get it responding normally to find my media and, once I start a movie, I can’t pause it as this probably wont work and I will have to FFWD through the to resume from where I left off.

I didn’t have any problems with the previous firmware but when this was made available, I upgrading trusting that it would be at least as good as before. Instead this is a disaster :confused:

Well I can say that it is working well for me. No sharing problems no DLNA problems.

Watched 5hrs of videos last night without any problems (ISO via network share). Also today, several hours of video via DLNA, again no problems.

But then I know the symptoms when my network becomes flaky (it is usually not limited to just the WD), e.g. Win/Linux  machines not seeing each other, multiple master browsers, Windows sharing fails, etc. Standard procedure is to shut everything down then bring devices back up in the order or 1) Router, 2)Machine that should be Master Browser, 3) Other devices.

Having the same issue, VERY SLOW video start up and after rew/ff, though it seems only AVI files are affected, mp4 & mkv files work fine.

Dex

I updated last night…should’ve read your post first;-)

Same issue as you described. Unit will work perfectly only after broadcasting SSID. Power cycled router, WDLive, set all IPs manually, no joy. I won’t broadcast my SSID so I’m looking to downgrade FW…lets hope I don’t brick it.

petthebunny wrote:

petthebunny wrote:> After methodically going through all the various levels of control/authentication I think I’ve narrowed down the problem.  Everything works fine as long as I don’t use/need any sort of password to log into the router.  As soon as I have to enter a password, the WDTV is unable to get an IP address.  This is odd because if I enter the router password wrong, the WDTV immediately tells me that the password is incorrect so it is going through the authentication steps properly and getting a connection…it just seems to discard this information once it gets to the next steps in the setup.

Anyways, I hope that this will be helpful to someone…and if anyone can think of anything else to try it would be appreciated.

One more update to this issue.  It would also appear that the WDTV can no longer connect to a router that does not broadcast it’s SSID publicly.  Even though the WDTV knows the SSID, can detect it and talk to it, it will not be able to obtain an IP address if the router does not broadcast it’s SSID and/or requires a password.  So basically I have to leave my whole network virtually unprotected in order for the WDTV to connect to it now.  This was definitely not the case prior to the upgrade.

Anyways, the last line of defence I have in my wireless network is to restrict access on my router to MAC addresses that it knows.  I’m not really comfortable with this on a long term basis, so perhaps I’ll look at getting another router and directly connect my WDTV to it.

Can anyone else verify whether or not they had issues like this with their wireless network?

So I downgraded to 1.06.16 and all is back to normal. Having my wireless SSID not broadcasted is a showstopper for me and pretty much rnedered my device useless, the downgrade was really my only option.

Update went Fine.

Movies take forever to start and are jumpy making them unwatchable:angry:. My network is wired so it’s nothing to do with WiFi.

There was no option to opt-out of YouTube LeanBack which is the biggest piece of junk I have ever dealt with in a long time.

Apart for the fact it keeps buffering and takes forever to load anything, (I have 8mb DSL), it’s very difficult to navigate, obviously this was some high school students effort by YouTube and has nothing to do with WDTV BUT there should be a way to use the old interface, having no choice is just not on!:confounded:

Please bring back the old YouTube menu.

UPDATE: Jan21st RolledBack, couldn’t take it anymore.

Does anyone know what the last know good no problems firware was? And how to roll back to it??

I in fact the latest firmwarehas now v100%  locked me out of My wdtv. 
I cannot access thenetworks shares at all now. 
Prior to this firmware update if I reset,re shared, power cycled etc, after about 30mins of trying,2 out 7 times I could get access to my network. 
Now it’s 0 out 7 times. 
So the latest firmware has made a bad situation worse. 

Bueno, me gusto la actualizacion de Youtube por fin el HD!!!

Ahora si reconoce y funciona el autoframe.

Con la red no tuve inconveniente.

De maravilla el app para android, funciona a la perfeccion. Se configura automaticamente.

El unico problema encontrado fue al reproducir una pelicula (Avatar)  ISO Full Blueray (50 Gb.) , directamente no la carga queda la pantalla en negro. Con el otro Firmaware ningun problema. 

Las ISO Blueray de 25 Gb. funcionan a la perfeccion.

Para los que quieran la version anterior aca el link:

http://hotfile.com/dl/126343328/3dc0b70/wdtvlive_1.06.15_V.zip.html

Otro saludo desde Argentina.

Well, I liked the update finally Youtube HD!

Now if it recognizes and works autoframe.

With the network had no problem.

Wonderfully the android app, works perfectly. Is automatically configured.

The only problem was found to play a movie (Avatar) Blueray Full ISO (50 Gb), not directly charging the screen stays black. In another firmaware no problem.

The 25 Gb Blueray ISO work perfectly.

For those who want the previous version here the link:

http://hotfile.com/dl/126343328/3dc0b70/wdtvlive_1.06.15_V.zip.html

Another greeting from Argentina.

Chrisg331 wrote:
Having my wireless SSID not broadcasted is a showstopper for me and pretty much rnedered my device useless

Which only means you need to read up on this or this too. Hiding your SSID does not provide any security nor stop a determined neighbour or wardriver from anything.

Same issue here, VERY SLOW video startup and seeking (up to 1 minute to start even after just a FF or RW) for AVI files, mp4 and mkv files are better, but not as fast as they were with the old .16b (if I remember correctly) firmware.

Same problem :

After I updated, impossible to play video files over my network share any more. I can fast forward and rewind the file but pressing play seems to perpetually pause the video.

This update **bleep**, as WD soft team ! :angry:

Sorry but real professional tests and tests and test again software upgrade before distribution…! :confounded:

No informations on website, no excuses…

I’ve 2 player blocked. I look for change my players for an other non WD models !