New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.43 (1/17/13)

Hi,

does this version have audio output both to optical and hdmi at the same time (like in 1.04.22)?

Thanks!

I can confirm this hasn’t fixed the colossal network shares problem.

Stil getting the old "invalid user name " or “there is no media” blah blah

This problem has been going on so long it is an absolute joke.

if I didn’t have 4 wdtv lives I would have cut my losses and went with another brand media streamer.

Anyone reccomend one that doesn’t make such huge problems with every update?

Easy quick install ( from USB stick ) - and working fine for me :slight_smile:

Will give it a thorough going over this weekend and report back if any issues 

To provide an update to my woes with the wireless connection…

I turned off the power, pulled my USB wireless adaptor, and turned back on…result was that NO USB connections would work.  The connected hard drive wouldn’t even turn on anymore.  Strange!

Pulled the power cord, system did a reboot and the HD connected again.  Good!

Next, turned off WDTV and put USB wireless adaptor back in.  Turned on.  The network connection menu changed!  I was no longer able edit or even search for a SSID.  It simply provided the option to automattically or manually enter the IP information.  Weird.  By manually entering all the IP information I was able to get to get the WDTV to accept the correct IP address but now it didn’t like the DNS server even though that was entered manually and correctly as well.

Pulled cord again and then turned off and on again after the reboot.  Everything reverted to my previous problem.  The network setup menus were working fine again (option to change or search for a SSID returned) but the adaptor can not get accept the correct IP address.

After methodically going through all the various levels of control/authentication I think I’ve narrowed down the problem.  Everything works fine as long as I don’t use/need any sort of password to log into the router.  As soon as I have to enter a password, the WDTV is unable to get an IP address.  This is odd because if I enter the router password wrong, the WDTV immediately tells me that the password is incorrect so it is going through the authentication set properly and getting a connection…it just seems to discard this information once it gets to the next steps in the setup.

Anyways, I hope that this will be helpful to someone…and if anyone can think of anything else to try it would be appreciated.

Hi!

I have updated 10 minutes ago, the ability to control the WD TV Live HD with an android APP

is GREAT, but the new youtube app does not work. When I enter the app the WD TV just

reboots. I tried many times with the same result. I had to rollback the firmware.

Any help?

Seems ok so far, but the random still does not work properly with lots of music files, it is only playing songs that start with “A” so far.

This would be such a nice addition!!

I downloaded the firmware update yesterday and my wifi would not work with the media box. I went into network setup/please choose your internat connection. I then re-typed in the SSID (internet provider) PASS KEY  and repeated retyping in the code for good measure. The system now works and I am able to transfer my files from PC to the media player again. I hope this works for others.

VERY slow response now. Takes a long time to start to play & a long time to play after scanning forward/backward. Will revert to beta to see if that fixes the problem as it’s unacceptable as it is.

1 Like

strangey316 wrote:
I can confirm this hasn’t fixed the colossal network shares problem.

I can’t any longer. Since 1.06.41 I can finally connect to my NAS both as anonymous and as a registered user. It would appear though that being in the same workgroup is necessary (which would be a pointless nuisance backported from the LIVE SMP).

lozzd wrote:

On this release rapid/fast moving changes in pictures make the playback (video and sound) stutter, and it does not recover even when the picture stops until you pause and play. 

A good example is the opening credits to the Big Bang Theory. When the picture starts speeding up, it refuses to play properly any more, and when the credits are done you have to pause/play to get it to play again properly. 

I’ve ripped my Big Bang Blurays to mkv with no compression so each ep is about ~3 GB with an bitrate average of 17 (peak 25) mbit/s. I can watch a whole show over wired network from a MyBookLiveDuo’s share without any stutter.

Bill, is this the Final Firmware Release for this unit? :confounded:

Update went OK.

Are there more wifi-adaptors supported? I upgraded, hoping for this… my “Belkin SURF N150” still doesn’t seem to work, as is my old 3Com Wireless LAN USB adapter. So still no luck in working via WIFI for me…

I know I should stick to the list of “supported” wifi adapters, but it isn’t easy to find exactly the same type in the local store…

Or is there a way to “make it work”? Can homebrew firmware help on this?

Stef

richUK wrote:

wd563 wrote:

Yes, also very concerned about loss of iPlayer!!! (I am a UK resident). I also noticed that when the iplayer was functional on the previous firmware, it would always cut off just before the end of the programme…

WD know about the cutting off they just seem to have a problem in actually fixing it. If you want the iPlayer then you will have to go back to the public beta release.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to where I can get the old firmware with iPlayer?

Hi,

First time on this forum… I’m absolutely raging about the loss of iPlayer… was watching part 1 of Silent Witness last night then the upgrade came up, I had no idea wouldn’t be able to watch the second part!!

Spent all morning trying to find and downgrade to the previous version but of course WDC have removed it from their web sites.

Google for “wdtvlive_1.06.34_V.zip” I found it on a dodgy 2shared site www.2shared.com/file/fcoEToZQ/wdtvlive_10634_V.html

I unzipped the file to pendrive and change the version number to something higher than the current version.  If the machine sits at 0% for more than a couple of minutes then take the pendrive out and plug it into the other port - worked for me…

WD really need to get their act sorted out - I’ve been in software development for over 20 years and if we ever “upgraded” a customer and removed functionality you’d be out the door never to come back.

You have to remember that the firmware with the iPlayer was a public BETA release. I don’t know why it did not make it into the final release.

Out of interest the forum below normally has all the firmwares. You have to register to download them and you will have edit the ver file to fool the player into downgrading. Don’t forget WD’s warning on the first post of this thread. Your player could be bricked by downgrading the firmware particularly after this update.

http://www.wdtvhd.com

Not sure what you mean by public beta - the previous firmware version 1.06.34_V upgrade was picked up by my WDTV live, I didn’t go looking for it.

It was announced as any normal version  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/New-Release-WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Version-1-06-34-V-9-24-12/td-p/476140 - nothing to indicate that it was a Beta release…

:confounded:

Anyway i have it iPlayer back now. I’ll be a bit more careful about upgrading in the future.

lozzd wrote:

On this release rapid/fast moving changes in pictures make the playback (video and sound) stutter, and it does not recover even when the picture stops until you pause and play. 

A good example is the opening credits to the Big Bang Theory. When the picture starts speeding up, it refuses to play properly any more, and when the credits are done you have to pause/play to get it to play again properly. 

I’ve ripped my Big Bang Blurays to mkv with no compression so each ep is about ~3 GB with an bitrate average of 17 (peak 25) mbit/s. I can watch a whole show over wired network from a MyBookLiveDuo’s share without any stutter.

Well that’s good information to have, thanks.

I watched a couple more shows and at a few other points with very high bitrate they stuttered. I think this release must’ve changed the way the device is buffering from the network, and occasionally it’s not getting it fast enough to play. My network is mainly wired, but there is a pair of plug adapters between upstairs and downstairs. I’ve measured this at 80 megabits/sec, which should be *plenty* of continous throughput (my rips aren’t as high quality as yours!) but it sounds like the device is now doing more periodic bursting of buffering rather than flat out streaming.

Really irritating because this device has been flawless playing even 1080p movies for me over this connection, and now even 720p causes it issues. I’d just downgrade again, but that warning in the first post isn’t particularly encouraging. 

Hello,

It appears something went wrong with this update and my WD is no longer starting up :frowning:

I was on 1.06.38 (beta) and all was working fine. I ran the upgrade steps (from USB) but it never rebooted (like on previous upgrades). After more than 1 hour, still without starting, I unplugged it. After plugging it back it just shows the WD logo. I already tried reset (pin) but same behaviour.

Any ideas?!?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Upgrade it yesterday. For some reasons downloading firmware directly by WDTV was slow.

Anything else…very very good.

I coulnd’t but notice a significant increase in access speed to my Synology storage while accessing movies!

Watch 2 720p episodes, started a 1080p movie with DTS sound, also started and watch a couple of minutes of a 3D movie (SBS). Everything perfect, but I can see the speed increase comparing with latest beta or the last official releases.

And considering is the same networking setup, same Samba access I’m using for some time…it’s only the new firmware to “blame”.

Good job WD!

antow wrote:

Not sure what you mean by public beta - the previous firmware version 1.06.34_V upgrade was picked up by my WDTV live, I didn’t go looking for it.

It was announced as any normal version  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/New-Release-WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Version-1-06-34-V-9-24-12/td-p/476140 - nothing to indicate that it was a Beta release…

:confounded:

Anyway i have it iPlayer back now. I’ll be a bit more careful about upgrading in the future.

The 1.06.34_V  firmware was pulled by WD due to problems. I was unaware that it included the iPlayer.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/Firmware-01-06-34-Removed-from-update-page/td-p/478048

Because of the many problems posted regarding that firmware they released a Public Beta 1.06.41_V which also included the iPlayer.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/Beta-Release-WDTV-Live-Firmware-Version-1-06-41-V-12-20-12/td-p/523599

It appears that this public beta firmware is still available from the page above or the link below.

http://129.253.55.57/downloads/2012/WDTVLive_1.06.41_V.zip

If anybody has already updated to 1.06.43 then you have to edit the ver file in the 1.06.41 with notepad and change the VERSION from VERSION=‘1.06.41_V’ to say VERSION=‘2.06.41_V’ in order to rollback. This is only to fool the player into accepting the old firmware, it will still be the firmware 1.06.41 which is installed. After installing and rebooting the player will say that there is new firmware, you can ignore this.