New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.04.01 (3/5/14)

New topic here…

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Requested-help-RE-FW-Release-3-04-01-3-5-14/td-p/694608

Thank you very much. It is appreciated.

cesarecv wrote:

After new firmware nohing has resolved, even worse because the system is always “Building” (WHAT??) (see image)

This didn’t happened before firmware update. Of course it will never go in “sleep mode”, as I hoped (Yeah, also this didn’t happened before, anyway). Nonetheless in the last 2 days it has disconnected twice from my network so that the only way to reach it again was to unplug/plug the electrical power. Quite disappointed:cry:

I’m one of those new users facing the disconnection issue too, unfortunately I couldn’t contribute to the already-closed thread… oh wells, let’s hope the next firmware can fix that for us.

The new firmware accurately shows the media server attempting to create thumbnails for the media files on the device. That’s the reason why most of our drives (or at least those with many media files and chose to enable the media server) aren’t sleeping yet/soon.

Greytide wrote:

Applied this just after loading the .deb to turn off logging & I have not had any problems with it. Everything is working as it was before. Streaming is fine & snapshot to my other NAS drive continues to work fine.

You are one of the lucky guys 

Does your box really go to sleep?

Thanks for answering!

Yes, it does. All working as required. The only problems I have had were Network disconnects when I was doing my initial load.

Finally bit the bullet and did a complete factory reset, it still has Version 03.04.01-219 firmware but some stuff started working beter

1. Now when I click on dashboard I see the entire dashboard screen fully populated in about 8-seconds, this was taking over three-minutes for the dashboard screen to come up.

2. When I click on a specific Share (folder) it displays instantly - this was taking several minutes previously for all the sub-folders to display (only 10-sub folders)

3.  I have not backed up any data yet so this is an empty drive - I will start a WD Smartware backup now of about 100GB of data and see if it dies again

4.  I have disconnected the MY BOOK 3-TB USB drive that I was using for SafePoint backups and will not connect it again until I see if the drive can handle the 100GB of data.

–  NTP=ON

–  Cloud Remote Access = ON

–  Sleep = OFF

–  LED = ON

–  Time Machine = ON

–  SSH = OFF

–  FTP Access = OFF

–  Media Streaming = ON   (I don’t use this)

–  iTunes Server = ON       ( I don’t use this)

–  Auto Update = OFF

– I changed network mode back to DHCP instead of static however, I have designated an IP address on the router so the drive will come up with the same IP address every time

Here we go again, wish me luck!

The new Firmware broke my MC… where can I download previous firmware?

This one doesn’t give me the file, it says connection unreachable:

http://download.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud-030302-165.zip

Any other links?

_ *** Ignore this request, I was able to download it. Server might have just been busy. Already downgraded to previous FW.  :smiley:_

Same issue.  Looking at the output from “top”, the physical HDD is in a near constant state of contention with wdmcserver and wdphotodbmerger (i.e. nearly 90% wa, all of the time).  It’s bad enough that I can’t even stream lossless FLAC files to my media players on the network without interruptions.

Reminds me of the same issues with “mediacrawlerd” on the MyBook Live NAS units.

I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel - right now, this box is pretty unusable w/o killing off the above processes.

We at Staples (Office Center) Netherlands, are taking the WD MyCloud’s off the shelves next week. Too many customers are complaining and demanding refunds/repairs. I hope WD is able to bring out a fix really soon. It’s quite ridiculous how long before this issue is resolved…

Staples_NL wrote:

We at Staples (Office Center) Netherlands, are taking the WD MyCloud’s off the shelves next week. Too many customers are complaining and demanding refunds/repairs. I hope WD is able to bring out a fix really soon. It’s quite ridiculous how long before this issue is resolved…

How do we know you really represent Staples?

I visit this forum pretty much daily since i got the WD cliud drive when it came out.

I have two 3TB drives… Still on the original FW. I would like to help in determining the cause of all these issues as I HAVE NONE OF THE PROBLEMS MENTIONED HERE.

My drives are super fast on the network. With windows a write is sustained at 58MB/SEC while read is even higher.

They go to sleep normally( although i have that 7 sec wakeup thing but not a biggie). Ihave set a custom standby time after 7sec.

The drivers never disconnect from the network

*** I do have the itunes server and twonky STOPPED****

I have about 1.4 TB of data on the drive. inlcuding movies, music and alot of pictures.

Now if its worth mentioning i do have some customizations on my primary drive ONLY (the second is just a backup for the first one.)

1- I have transmission installed and runs without any issues with watch folders and cronjobs every 2 hours to remove completed torrents.

2- I also have a cronjob running that starts/stops the wdmcserver. It only runs twice a week for like a day and is then stopped.

3- I have a rsync daemon running on the second drive that the first one syncs to using rsync twice a week.

4- One a week conrjob to empty out all the log files in /valr/logs

5- I also disabled the weekly or at reboot new FW check by manually deleting the .sh file that handles that.

Im sure if i were to remove my cronjobs, my drive would sleep even more frequently.

Im willing to give any info that can help you guys determine what is the difference between your’s and my drives and why i dont seem to have any of these common issues that everyone else is having.

Mine WD My Cloud is useless after the 03.04.01-219 upgrade late last week!

Since the latest release of the new Firmware my WD MyCloud has dropped its network connection 4 times.  My home based work computer maintains 3 network drive connections to shares on the MyCloud.  This morning while I was working OS X reported that all three drives were inaccessible.  I immediately tried pinging the drive directly to see if it was still available and got that the IP no longer existed.  I tried pingng it from another computer and got the same results.  So I decided to take a look elsewhere.  The drive had the standard Blue Indicate Light.  My ethernet switch showed the drive was conncected and running at 1GB.  However nothing could ping it.  I did verify that I could access all other network resources (Printers, router, websites, servers, other NAS) and everything else was fine.  So I did a power cycle, the drive rebooted and all of the connctions came back online.  My Configuration is as follows:

Static IP (hardcoded into the control panel - DHCP disabled)

Gigabit Switch with CAT - 6 cable connected

DNLA and all Media Streaming disabled

Twonky update interval set to 0

As an IT admin, I am getting a little frustrated by the drive.  I deal with NAS’s all day long, and I even have another NAS in my network (Drobo FS with 10.71TB online) that has never given me a single day’ s grief.  I was simply looking for a reasonable drive to use for remote access to my files.  I find it really funny with all the issues how much time and effort WD used in their display paviliion at CES to show off the MyCloud. Its becoming a bad joke and something that I will not recommend to anyone.  I am really starting to think I should simply disassemble the drive and replace it with a Synology Diskstation.  If anyone at WD is reading this, any ideas?

:angry:

Have spent most of the weekend working to resolve problems with My Cloud after the firmware upgrade last week.

Have read many posts here in the WD Community looking for ideas, help and compare experiences with other owners.

I have to say it’s been a very interesting weekend, I’ve learned more about my network, router, iPad, etc. than I ever knew before… but I’m still having problems this morning.

My primary issue is the device becoming unavailable. Fails pinging. Fails any access.

I’ve tried 20 second resets, power up with 40 second resets and finally performed a Full System Factory Recovery. (To my surprise, it restore with the new firmware?!?!?!

I would very much like to revert to the previous version. I’ve found it and downloaded the .zip file. I understand you must unzip first and then use the .deb file to upgrade. Interesting thing, when I’ve attempted the manual upgrade (to revert to previous firmward) it fails saying there is not enough memory.

I’ve checked my uPnP setting on my FiOS Actiontec Wireless Broadband Router and I can see that the Port Forwarding is being setup properly. At this point, with no items added by me, I can remotely access the device using My Cloud app on iPad.

After the Full Restore it seemed like things were better, but again, after just a few minutes, it was nolonger accessible, ping failed, etc.

I’m familar with Debian, not an expert. Is there anything anyone can suggest to help the system stay connected and available? Are there logs files that may provide a clue as to what’s happening?

Has anyone successfully reverted to a previous version of firmward? If so, how did you do it?

Love the product, WHEN IT WAS WORKING. I have PC, Macbook, iPod, iPad, WD TV Live, Blueray Media Player, etc. All worked amazingly well prior to this upgrade!!!

Incredibly frustrated that an auto update apparently killed my device, no clear process to revert.

:angry:

Replying to: Bill_S

Since this last update when I open up the Dashboard on my Gateway Desktop PC and click on the Help Icon (?) all I get is Retrieving Information.

On my Dell Laptop when I open up the Dashboard and click on the Help Icon I get a short Retrieving information and then some information comes up but not near as much information as was there before the upgrade.

Is this being worked on?

Yes, I got you private message…

C.Olliff wrote:

Since the latest release of the new Firmware my WD MyCloud has dropped its network connection 4 times.  My home based work computer maintains 3 network drive connections to shares on the MyCloud.  This morning while I was working OS X reported that all three drives were inaccessible.  I immediately tried pinging the drive directly to see if it was still available and got that the IP no longer existed.  I tried pingng it from another computer and got the same results.  So I decided to take a look elsewhere.  The drive had the standard Blue Indicate Light.  My ethernet switch showed the drive was conncected and running at 1GB.  However nothing could ping it.  I did verify that I could access all other network resources (Printers, router, websites, servers, other NAS) and everything else was fine.  So I did a power cycle, the drive rebooted and all of the connctions came back online.  My Configuration is as follows:

Twonky update interval set to 0

As an IT admin, I am getting a little frustrated by the drive.  I deal with NAS’s all day long, and I even have another NAS in my network (Drobo FS with 10.71TB online) that has never given me a single day’ s grief.  I was simply looking for a reasonable drive to use for remote access to my files.  I find it really funny with all the issues how much time and effort WD used in their display paviliion at CES to show off the MyCloud. Its becoming a bad joke and something that I will not recommend to anyone.  I am really starting to think I should simply disassemble the drive and replace it with a Synology Diskstation.  If anyone at WD is reading this, any ideas?

Is there any chance that the static IP address you assigned to your MyCloud is in the DHCP pool of your router?

When I attempt to revert, doing manual update, as soon as I select the .deb file and click the install and boot button, the device goes offline, ping fails, etc.

Is there a different/better process for reverting the firmware? (Help! Debian Experts…)

@ C.Olliff

"

Twonky update interval set to 0"

Why don’t you try this instead ?

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetArticle.aspx?docid=b3d06f6582db4827a385b696e353eb16_How_to_configure_DHCP_Reservation_using_Cisco_Connect_Cloud.xml&pid=80&converted=0

In your router. No CAT 6 is necessary. You are not shoving around 10 Gbps do you ? The My Cloud can only get to about 100 MBps. So why use CAT 6 ?

Put the DNLA and Media Streaming back on and let it finish overnight, without USB Harddrive connected.

I know people who have big trouble with the Drobo here:  http://scottkelby.com/2012/im-done-with-drobo/ and  [
](http://drobo bleep.blogspot.co.uk/)

" [http://drobo**bleep**.blogspot.co.uk/"](http://drobo bleep.blogspot.co.uk/%22) where the bleep is put the S word  S U C K S

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? WD have stay very quiet on the subject.

*** Update ***

I’ve turned off everything I can turn off, using the web browser control panel, except for NTP and LED. The system did not go offline, fall asleep, etc. (Yeah!)

This was after a Full Factory System Reload/Restore followed by several power up 40 second resets and a few 20 second resets, (I waited at least 30 minutes between each reset). I was trying to perform a manual update with older firmware .deb file, but finally gave up on that plan.

Once the system appeared to stabalized, I was able to map a Drive ID (Z) on Windows 7 to the My Cloud Public Share (I haven’t added any other users/shares, just the default admin account is active on My Cloud) and I’m currently moving several GB of music to My Cloud as a test.

Using the My Cloud app on my iPad I can see and connect with My Cloud, and I can browse/play the music files that have been moved thus far onto the My Cloud Public Share.

So, I’m happy that I will at least have a functional NAS System on my House LAN (no remote capability as that’s turned off), until if fails again. I sure would also like the Media/iTunes Services, Time Machine backup function and Remote Access working at some point in the future, once they figure out why the system goes offline with all functionallity active.

However, I would STILL like to revert to the previous firmware as it was stable and fully operational.

cat0w wrote:

Replying to: Bill_S

Since this last update when I open up the Dashboard on my Gateway Desktop PC and click on the Help Icon (?) all I get is Retrieving Information.

On my Dell Laptop when I open up the Dashboard and click on the Help Icon I get a short Retrieving information and then some information comes up but not near as much information as was there before the upgrade.

Is this being worked on?

cat0w,

As far as I know this is being worked on.  I am double-checking that Dashboard retrieving information issue has been added.  However, it is possible that this is stemming from the 100% CPU Usage issue.

[edit]

I got clarification from the product team that the 100% CPU issue is not the case here.  They’re working on identifying it still.