New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.04.01 (3/5/14)

Just for everyone to know, we are still working on fixing several of the issues being encountered.  As soon as we have fixes to offer, we will post a new firmware update.

Thank You Bill_S. I am not having any problems with My Cloud but it was nice to have that information when trying to help others.

Bill, As I have only owned a mycloud for about 10 days, and it’s been broken half of those days, and the “return period” expires in 4 days, it’d be helpful to have a hint whether new the new firmware (fixing the dropped connection issue that everyone is reporting) will be out in hours, days, or weeks. As it will take some time to dump the data and wipe the drive, well, it’d be helpful to know sooner rather than later whether there’s any hope.

Hokie wrote:

Bill, As I have only owned a mycloud for about 10 days, and it’s been broken half of those days, and the “return period” expires in 4 days, it’d be helpful to have a hint whether new the new firmware (fixing the dropped connection issue that everyone is reporting) will be out in hours, days, or weeks. As it will take some time to dump the data and wipe the drive, well, it’d be helpful to know sooner rather than later whether there’s any hope.

I doubt there will be an update within four days.  Having said that, I know we’re working on getting an update out as soon as we can.  However, that doesn’t help you.  I’m sorry to say, but you may have to make your decision as best you see fit. 

1 Like

Just so you know Bill. I have updated to newest firmware and am not having any of the problems peeps are talking about. I was able to reconnect all and log into wd2go with java turned back up to medium. windows version of my cloud had trouble at first trying to logi with admin. I had no pass set so i assume that was the issue, second connect loaded all shares. as for twonky i did have to reshare one folder and then all showed up. I watch thru a wd live and all files shows and display if metadata is there with it. Additionally i have two baqckups with Smartware and both are seen and backing up newer files. Lastly, the help function is working fine, just checked it. 

ccollar77

Thanks for posting.  It’s very encouraging.

Bill_S wrote:

Just for everyone to know, we are still working on fixing several of the issues being encountered.  As soon as we have fixes to offer, we will post a new firmware update.

Excellent. Thank you for letting us know.

But the time to find and fix these issues is BEFORE releasing the software.

No the IP addess in a static area (to be be specific, I design my network topology layout based on a Class C license of 254 Addresses.  My dynamic range is limited to .100 - .150.  The Mycloud is in my range I have configured for servers and is locked to IP .31).

Thanks

:smiley:

*** UPDATE ***

Got a call from WD Support. Changed my IP to Static. Moved connection of my Laptop and WD My Cloud to my Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station, (all GigE between PC and My Cloud) transfer rates from PC to My Cloud are clocking around 9.5 MB/Second (copying songs that average around 10MB each and taking around a second for each song… lightening speed!

Everything is turned back on! Was able to access the Twonky Media server on port 9000, all looks well.

So… have to say I’m delighted with the support. Looks like the Static IP may have been the big fix, appears there was a slight DHCP config compatibility issue with my Actiontec Wireless Broadband Router:

Firmware Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4
Model Name: MI424-WR

Going to work it hard the next few days… I’m a little positive as the day comes to an end!

Thank you Mr. P

P.S. I’m going to stay on the new firmware if no more issues arise in the next few days… LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!

:smiley:

1 Like

The Reason for CAT - 6 cabling was for simplicity and future proofing.  I deal with a lot of testing of highend networking equipment before installation on sites.  I tend to replicate network structures in my house to test equipment and get “real world” or as close as possible measurements and metrics.  As for configuring the router to issue a static IP, that is an option, but why go through the extra over head of the DHCP client negotiation.  I carefully layout my IP structures with designated area for networking equipment, printers, servers, nas, DHCP range, MISC devices.  That way I can make sure there is no overlapping and no conflicts.  It also aids in locating the devices when issues like this occur.

As for the Drobos, I know there have been issues, but when you follow their general guidelines it seems to be very stable.  My FS has been online with 10.71TB Storage for over 4 years without a single failure point.  The 20 other versions I have deployed at sites have never failed or hiccupped.  I got the WD MyCloud to simply have the functionality of accessing data remotely from my iPad, iPhone, and remote workstations.  Basically to replace my FTP server.  So far I have had about a 40% uptime  (Purchased the Drive in October 2013 when it first came out).   For a disk drive company to have so many apparent issues and to be so quiet about the response is unusual in my professional opinion.  I hope they find something the issue and have an update soon. 

But thanks for your input.  Community feedback usually leads to faster responses and possible solutions.

C. Olliff

I must say that after my having waited some time and then seeing what appeared to be actually addressed, I was disappointed that as a high priority was to fiddle with the LED blinking…instead of the reliability problems that I and others have experienced.

FWIW, I’m using Windows 8.1 and have found it an iffy proposition to actually be able to perform a backup (via TotalRecovery Pro 10) to my 4TB WD My Cloud and have it work the first time around.  I’ve had to resort to performing this multiple times in order to get a backup to be accomplished without the connection to the device having a problem (perhaps a timeout is occurring on the Windows side due to unresponsiveness?).  Being able to use the device as a remote disk drive should be considered a basic, essential service and should be rock solid; this should have been the focus for WDC before implementing any other features…and any other features should have been tested to make sure that they do not interfere with this primary feature.

No…I’m not using XCOPY as someone derided another when they ran into similar problems (as though using a decades-old tool that is rock-solid and has had tons of real-world use were a bad thing!).  I digress, but I think it odd that someone would be quick to blame a copy utility that has been around forever before the new whiz-bang gizmo.

Prior to the latest firmware (v03.04.01-219) version, my device would constantly be thrashing away for literally days, apparently scanning for media (I believe it stated that in the Dashboard it was scanning), even though I had the media services
disabled from the Dashboard.  When it started this, the device never would go to sleep.

Now, after the v03.04.01-219 firmware, the device doesn’t say it’s scanning (a plus?)…but appears unresponsive after having been left on overnight!  I end up having to reboot it to have it accessible again.  Is this progress?  I’ve not tried a backup again just yet…but I’m not holding my breath to see if that is fixed.

BTW, to those who would suggest it:  I have NO interest in reformatting my device.  It is not that old (maybe a couple of months now) and it’s not like I install any other software on it.  In my mind, it should be simple and reliable to use like a toaster.

Might I suggest to WD a couple of things?:

• Test your software!  My company does; we do not just release software until QA gives its stamp of approval.  Please use thorough, real-world-inspired tests of what is likely to be used out in the field.  This is evidently not being done sufficiently.  You can’t have that many hardware variations…it’s all controlled by you guys.  It’s not like it’s a general purpose computer where typical users can install apps on it.  If there’s problems with the firmware, it’s a problem for WDC to address…not an opportunity to have customers go on wild goose chases reformatting and resetting the device.

• Properly prioritize bug fixes!  If there are serious reliability problems…PLEASE have all of your top-notch guys stop fiddling with the darn LED and whatever else and address the serious problems FIRST!

Thanks for your consideration!

akole: Well put!

Hi Bill_S

Is the issue of the NAS spinning the disk up for no reason also being dealt with? Is the solution going to be provided with next F/W update?

TIA for the answer.

1 Like

Bill.

An important question is that once the new update is available will one have to manually install it via dashboard or once connected to a router will it be automatic.

This issue I’m having is that dashboard is not available to access AT ALL and I doubt I’m the only one.

:neutral_face::neutral_face:Andy,

I Am so glad to see that at least someone has had some luck. I switched to a static address a long time ago and checked my DHCP tables on the router to make sure there were no address conflicts. That did not work for my drive. However, a complete factory-restore has made my drive functional now for almost 48-hours!

Sorry if I sound excited about 2-days worth of reliability on a device that I had originally planned on being my main backup for months if not years however at this point ANY progress is like a  light at the end of the tunnel.

Hokie,

I missed my 14-day return deadline at Staples, I thought it was 30-days and was 28-days into this problem.

I suggest you return the thing and watch the board here to see if they get this fixed, it they fix the problem you could always go back and pick one up at that time. I unfortunately am stuck with the thing and having very limited success from time to time I can actually use the drive, then it simply fails again.

The drive has been up now for 2-days my previous record was 7-days and believe me I have been through every single suggestion I have come across on this site.

We bought the drive as a backup solution for our small business (6-desktops 5-laptops 8-iPads). We do not use any of the hobby functions like streaming movies or family videos, this is simply business data files like databases, spreadsheets, word documents. I cannot imagine the problems the guys are having that are trying to move the enormous video files around.

Good luck.

Thanks WestwindDriver… Sorry to hear you got stuck with it.

For what it’s worth, I deleted all of my content, rebooted, and I’ve been wiping 3tb of free space since late yesterday. Now, of course, the device has been up for more than 24 hours. That was not achievable with my data on it. So, it works just fine with no data! Yay? Not very useful that way, but perhaps that little bit of info will help the WD folks fix their code.

WD, if you want mine for a postmortem, it will be in the return bin at Staples by tomorrow afternoon. You can find it there.

My drive auto-updated on 6 march. Have not noticed any changes in its behaviour. I am still unable to log in remotly using safari on Mac os x 10.8.5 with Java update 51. When using Firefox I was able to see my shares but every finder action takes ages to complete.

p.

Thanks Blue_quartz for posting my image in the message 122. Since then, after nearly 48 hours of “building more thumbnails…”, I must surprisingly admit that in the last two days my WD seems to work, even if only in the LOCAL network: it goes in “sleep mode” and it doesn’t disconnect. If WD fix the REMOTE Connection failure I would finally say Well Done!

I too have experienced many of the same issues since this recent update.  I just recently bought this device as I have had an old My Book Live for the past year and it has worked flawlessly.  I hoped to use this MyCloud as the primary device for backups, and storage, and then create a safepoint to the old MyBook Live for safety sake.  But this thing is awful since the update, can’t connect to it sometime without a reboot first (seems to be better since I shut of the option for Energy Saver Mode), but I have tried to do a safepoint now several times, and it fails everytime.  I’m not super smart, but the network seems adequate, I have a Cisco Business Class Router, GB Switch, and they are both connected to the switch, and are set to DHCP (using Static DHCP on the Router).  Like I said, the old one is flawless, but this one is really bad now.