New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.04.01 (3/5/14)

Just to join the crowd of disappointed users.

MyCloud disconnects at least 2-3 times / 24 hours and you cannot complete any sensible backups overnight. (Unrelated, when backing up, Smartware 2.3.0 does not backup Outlook .pst files after its first backup. )

* Running Firmware v03.04.01-219

No Ping response when dead. Steady blue light.

* LAN connected to Thomson router, static IP.

* Only way to reset is to pull the plug. Soon for good.

/J

I must be really lucky my My cloud has been pretty stable for the 6 odd weeks I have had it. The firmware is the latest version and have had no problems (so far).

If  I had read these forums first I would not have bought one but it has been a great little device for me so far.

LardVader wrote:

Hi Bill_S

Is the issue of the NAS spinning the disk up for no reason also being dealt with? Is the solution going to be provided with next F/W update?

TIA for the answer.

Sorry, I just saw this.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what will be in the next update. 

OptimusXZero wrote:
Bill.

An important question is that once the new update is available will one have to manually install it via dashboard or once connected to a router will it be automatic.

This issue I’m having is that dashboard is not available to access AT ALL and I doubt I’m the only one.

When we do the release, I’ll get you some help with that.  Just private message when we get there.

I was unable to download the firmware via the update feature, apparently the WD server was down so I downloaded the firmware file manually. Updating now. All went well. Now let’s see how long the unit stays up.

Did you find it helped your drive Self Wake Up issue.  I am still struggling with this.

Hi

As for “self wake up”, I am struggling with it, too. I also am in touch with WD staff about it, going to send in another log hoping they can pinpoint the issue and find a solution.
Perhaps if us all used the tech support and informed them, it could change anything. My guess is, if it’s official, they look at it. Here it is just ther good will.

I have exactly the same problem as Jonash, I would like to downgrade the firmware to solve it meanwhile, is it possible? where can I download the previous version?

Jonash wrote:

MyCloud disconnects at least 2-3 times / 24 hours and you cannot complete any sensible backups overnight. (Unrelated, when backing up, Smartware 2.3.0 does not backup Outlook .pst files after its first backup. )

/J

I had these exact same issues. The only thing that seems to have fixed it for me was setting a static IP. I only did this after seeing someone suggest this on the forums somewhere. I orginally disabled sleep mode, but that did nothing. This was before the firmware upgrade I performed today. I’m running the latest firmware upgrade.

Hope this problem doesn’t pop back up!

Right now I’m working to install CrashPlan on the drive to back it up. The system/command line interface is terribly slow installing packages.

The firmware upgrade did not address the outage issue for me. The drive disconnected after a couple of hours. Very disappointing. Spent time on the phone with WD support to no avail.

Wilbur,

I also had the same problem losing access to the My Cloud drive (3-TB) after the software upgrade.

However my drive has been up and running now for 6-days!

This is after a factory reset. When I completed the reset, I let it run for 24-hours with no data as a test. Then I backed up one computer (this was a data backup no video etc –  this is for our small office so we don’t use the video streaming or other similar functions).

I let it run for 5-more days with the data backup (approx 200g data) and scheduled daily backups each night. It was still running after that.

I then connected the My Book 3-TB drive to the USB port and setup a safepoint backup of the My Cloud. The safepoint completed in about 5-hours for 200GB of data. Seems like a long time since there was absolutely no other drive activity. However, I was just happy that it completed and I could still access the My Cloud drive and it is reasonably responsive…

6-hours after the safepoint backup the My Cloud drive is still working - this is the best results I have had since I got the drive 30-days ago.

I am going to leave it as-is and see how long it runs before it becomes unavailable again ( and we all know it will die at some point). If it stays alive for 5-more days then I will start the backups on the other 5-computers attached to the network, that will bring the data load up to 1-TB, that may be what breaks the system.

My problem is that if I reach the 1-TB point and still want to have a safepoint backup, given that it takes 5-hours to backup 200GB it will take 25-hours to backup 1-TB, at that rate I can no longer do a daily backup, I will have to allow 48-hours for each backup to make sure the last one is done before the next one starts. If I ever hit the ~3-TB mark it will take 75-hours for a safepoint backup, hmmm…

I have the 3-TB My Cloud

All video streaming and so-called Twonky stuff is shut off where possible - sleep mode is disabled - it never scans because the streaming and other media functions are disabled. I am not concerned about the drive sleeping, I don’t care if it runs 24/7 since the unit sets in our wiring closet, it may wear out faster but I simply want the thing to work!

Ok so ive been reading back over some of the post and Ive noticed that some people have tried to ping etc.

I connected my mycloud directly to my mac and used the network utility to see if anything happened.

Now please bare in mind im not that techie and Ive no idea wheather its actully done anything or not but basically once connected my mac was able to determine IP address, vendor, model and a few other details.

In additon I tried pinging the drive and it seemed to come back positive. The only thing to note is that the ethernet would drop out from time to time but I assume this is as a result of the firmware error in booting the OS on the mycloud.

Im taking this as a positive sign that mycloud is not bricked, just blocked by the worst possible firmware update in the world.

Has anyone else tried this method or figured out how to access contact via ethernet?

NYTerabyte wrote:

Jonash wrote:

/J

I had these exact same issues. The only thing that seems to have fixed it for me was setting a static IP. I only did this after seeing someone suggest this on the forums somewhere. I orginally disabled sleep mode, but that did nothing. This was before the firmware upgrade I performed today. I’m running the latest firmware upgrade.

Hope this problem doesn’t pop back up!

Right now I’m working to install CrashPlan on the drive to back it up. The system/command line interface is terribly slow installing packages.

Sorry - I forgot to add that I did push the reset button on the back of the drive before I set the static IP

It would he interesting to know if those having disconnection problems are using dynamic or static IP in their MyClouds.

In most cases it didn’t seem to matter. The one thing that isn’t working for me is WD Photos. This has been since pushing the reset button and rearranging the folder structure. Not sure it has to do with the drive.

@WestwindDriver

My initial safepoint of about 150GB took about 22 hours. Since then, the incremental safepoints have all run automatically at midnight and have taken only a few minutes (don’t recall the exact time). I have added about 50GB of data since the initial safepoint, so once you get the base safepoint done, I would guess the incremental one will be relatively quick and painless.

gewilli

I have the drive setup for DHCP but on the router I designated a static address for the drive so each time the drive boots up it asks for an IP and when the router sees the NIC number for the drive it issues the same IP everytime.

That may not have anything to do with it but I have now been operational for 6-days and 2 of those days with an USB attached backup drive and safepoint setup for nightly backup.

Best I have seen so far and that is all after my factory restore.

OGilley,

Likewise my last incremental backup was very fast. I found a file in the backup folder on my backup drive.

I found this in the WDPROT\WDSAFE_safepoint-job-name folder (where _safepoint-job-name is the name you gave your safepoint)

It is a .info file and at the very end of the file you can find the following information

total_size = 131216014601

ts_end = 1394877676

ts_start = 1394877607

That is the total size of the folder content and the start and stop time of the last safepoint job in Unix format (if you don’t know how there is a website to convert unix time stamps to Date & Time.

My last safepoint took about one-minute since there were only a few files to backup approximately 20MB.

WestwindDriver wrote:

gewilli

I have the drive setup for DHCP but on the router I designated a static address for the drive so each time the drive boots up it asks for an IP and when the router sees the NIC number for the drive it issues the same IP everytime.

That may not have anything to do with it but I have now been operational for 6-days and 2 of those days with an USB attached backup drive and safepoint setup for nightly backup.

Best I have seen so far and that is all after my factory restore.

WestwindDriver:

That is my setting exactly and I’ve not had a disconnect since installing MyCloud. The only time it disconnected was when I rebooted my router and it recovered it’s connection after the reboot.

I am curious to know if people having disconnects are using static IP’s. I am imagining a scenario where they pick a static IP which is in the routers Dynamic IP pool. I dont know if this would even work, but what if it would work for awhile but fail if the router assigned the IP to another device.

Made the Update no problem.

DLNA Server has rebuild the index

The “no Sleep” and Randome wake up problem is still there !

Greetings Andreas