New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.04.01 (3/5/14)

:smileyvery-happy:gewillw

Glad to hear someone else has gotten the drive to run for more that a day or two.

I had originally checked to make sure the Static IP I was using for the My Cloud was not included in my Dynamic IP pool. However it still did not work until I setup the My Cloud for DHCP – weird.

I have now been operational for 9-DAYS!!! (see comments yet to come)

AndreasMachek

Glad to hear the indexing worked for you.

After the firmware update and factory reset I have been going back at this in small steps to see if I can figure out where the problem is. So far here is my process:

1.    Firmware update and factory reset (it keeps the firmware update after the reset) WDMyCloud v03.04.01-219 : Core F/W

2.    Started the drive and let it run for 24-hours –   things were great

3.    Backed up about 200GB of data – the drive stayed functional for 5-days (6-days total)

4.    Connected the My Book 3TB drive to the USB port and let it run for 1-day with no data (7-days total)

5.    Setup a safepoint backed up to the MyBook 3-TB, backups have continued Okay and I am now at a total of 9-Days non-stop operation

Today I am going to turn on “Media Serving” for one of my “Shares” (folders) and see if the drive will survive this and how long it will keep running.

May I ask if you were able to logon to dashboard to set the static IP.

I cant  do anything its been solid white light since the update.

OptimusXZero

Yes  I was able to see the dashboard after the update. However it took an extremely long time for the dashboard to come up - if I remember correctly something along the lines of 10-minutes or more before it was completely displayed. I just kept working on other projects on another computer and kept checking the computer I was trying to view the dashboard on.

That is when I decided to do the full factory reset - after the reset the unit did retain the new firmware and it has been extremely responsive and working ever since that.

I just turned on “Media Serving” on one of the “Shares” (folders) that has approximately 40,000 photos in it, the scan completed in less than an hour – I was amazed!

The drive has now been functional for 10-days and one day of that with “Media Serving” active on one Share.

I am not sure I trust this thing enough yet to use it as my backup drive (which is what I bought it for) but I strongly recommend a full reset if it is not responding for you.

I too had fought with my MyCloud 3TB (see earlier post) since the update, making me wish I hadn’t bought it.  I finally decided to commit to a full restore.  I copied my data to an external USB 3.0 Hard Drive via simple copy and paste of the files, which took a long time, avg transfer rate was only like 5-10mbs.  Finally got that done and did the full restore, which by the way took a good 8 hours!  After the restore I shut it down, waited about 5 mins and booted up.  It seems to be working great now!  Very much more responsive.  Put 200GB of video files back on it via that USB 3.0 external connected to my computer and I got tranfer rates of 60+mbs, took only maybe 15 mins.  The initiated creating a safepoint to my other old 3TB MyBook Live and it was done in an hour!  Before the restore I couldn’t get it to finish a safepoint!

I hope this fixed it, will keep youn posted.

Why does the Firmware update sit at “Downloading…(0%)” and not update? It has now been hours with no change.

I bought the unit new last week and the installed firmware was from October 2013. The last Release (v03.01.04-139) was the first update I did and the same thing happened - stuck at Downloading…(0%). After 3 days I ended up shutting down using the QuickView app.

Before starting this latest update Dashboard says Firmware is v03.01.04-139 on Summary page but showed the old October version on the Firmware page?

What’s going on? Please help

ABFInNeedofHelp

I had the same issues, found out later that the most current Firmware solves that problem with the Downloading 0% issue.

My recommendation, install the latest and reboot (youmay need to do a quick-reset to get that to work).

Then do a full Factory Reset (instructions in the manual), I had to do that and when it finally completed the factory reset, everything worked fine (with some minor tweaking - see previous posts)

It is now running great and has been fully funtional for 10-days! Not an answer but at least a work around…

1 Like

@ ABFInNeedofHelp

You can download the latest firmware here: http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-030401-219-20140218.zip

Unzip the file and do a manual update through the Dashboard, if you like. I did this on this firmware and it worked without an issue. I would do a “System Restore” after the system reboots from the firmware update also. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@all

I have it set up same dhcp in the drive and it static In router. Works now over 30 days and every week or two weeks I reboot all my devices as well router. No disconnection. Still on the older firmware.no update to the new one. Safe point every night 4 am. Still no access with mobile phone WD app. No downloads. Galaxy S4 I9500. No answer from WD about that.

ABFInNeedofHelp wrote:

Why does the Firmware update sit at “Downloading…(0%)” and not update? It has now been hours with no change.

I bought the unit new last week and the installed firmware was from October 2013. The last Release (v03.01.04-139) was the first update I did and the same thing happened - stuck at Downloading…(0%). After 3 days I ended up shutting down using the QuickView app.

Before starting this latest update Dashboard says Firmware is v03.01.04-139 on Summary page but showed the old October version on the Firmware page?

What’s going on? Please help

Hi, this issue is currently under investigation. 

Thanks for the tips and taking the time to respod team.

I ended up doing a Shutdown using the Quick View, then downloaded the Release onto my Mac. Powered the unit back on and did a Manual Update as recommended and all seems now to be in working order.

Fingers crossed this is the end of the glitches for me.

@ ABFInNeedofHelp

Glad to hear that you got it up and running, once I got mine going and figured out all the tweaks it has kept going and I even put some videos & photos on it to test out the Media Serving and so far it works great.

Western Digital did call me (and that call was un prompted by me).

They apparently watch this Forum and picked up on the problems I have been trying to sort out. The tech rep spent a very generous amount of time on the phone with me and listened to all the work arounds that I have used to make this thing work. He explained that yes they really are working diligently trying to duplicate the problems and update the firmware accordingly. He spent a lot of time discussing issues and documenting so I expect we will see some results in the future - (even though program changes take a lot of time)

All in all, the call from Western Digital earned a bunch of kudos and re-instated my faith in their product support.

Good luck with your latest configuration…

:smiley:

1 Like

@ WestwindDriver

The same when they called me after Bill_S helped setup a Support call (WD Level 2 Support). That gentleman answered every question and spent every bit of an hour with me. He got my system perking like and “'ole perculator” … lol.

Since that time, other than the user and share issues with this firmware (Double Space vs Double Tabs), my My Cloud has ran perfectly. It Sleeps, no snoring, Safepoints update regularly, Add-Delete files, Web Access, Sending links to friends, etc… Hopefully they will fix the user and share issue as I am not adding or changing a thing until they do … I need to add a user with permissions but I am afraid to at the moment.

I seriously think WD is trying to fix the My cloud and Hopefully they will :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nobody has been calling me sofar.

I still have not been able to get my Galaxy S4 WD Cloud app working for download there. I can access it, but no downloads possible.

Plus I am still on the old Firmware. Don’t want your problems either if I want to add users and shares. SectorGZ

So I will sit at the phone tomorrow.

Were we supposed to call you, Pacific_Dollars?

@ Pacific_Dollars

You’re right … I didn’t want those issues either … lol

This is all referenced in thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/SMB-Permission-problem-with-new-firmware-update/m-p/694190#M9339

I haven’t tried to add,delete,reset user or share permissions since I read that thread. I really need to add another user+shares but I am afraid I’ll end up with a mixed matched pair of parameters with the My cloud OS as referenced below.

Previous Firmware

[myshare]

[double tabs]path = /shares/myshare

[double tabs]comment =

And the new firmware fill with “double space”

BEGIN ## sharename = myshare

[myshare]

[double space]path = /shares/myshare

[double space]comment =

I really don’t need to add more issues to the My Cloud than it already has. All I ever heard from a Mod was “it is under investigation”, but it is holding us up to add, change, or delete as we need to. So for now we just have to put up with it. :frowning:

Hopefully you can get your issue with the Galaxy S4 solved also. I wish us all the best. :slight_smile:

@ Billy,

Yes, they called and verified and replicated this with me and we came to the conclusion I was right. So [Deleted] is working on that. But is has been weekend now.

Dutch derpartment is having fun in Amsterdam having party in the harbour. Ummm no Polka band was hired I heard. :wink:

So I will have to wait patiently.

You can see my question what was regarding a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Kit Kat 4.4.2 and 32 Gb SD Card and WD My Cloud App. Ask Eric for details and how we also tested this on the new WD My Cloud EX2.

I have tried to download the latest firmware from the links provided below and it still either hangs up at 0% or it will download 22% and hang… anyone else experiencing this?

@ Skinsenso,

Do not download it, or install it. There are still problems with it.

Keep it to your old firm ware. If it is working. I did that too and it is working besides a small issue.

Pacific_Dollars wrote:
@ Skinsenso,

Do not download it, or install it. There are still problems with it.

Keep it to your old firm ware. If it is working. I did that too and it is working besides a small issue.

Any way to downgrade to the old firmware? I made the mistake of updating to the new firmware without reading the forum :/.