SMB Permission problem with new firmware update

Just a little warning for all WD my cloud users.

The new update introduce for me a bug on the samba share permissions for all existing directories:

 We can’t add or modify users (full access, read only or remove) for existing directories:

The reason:

 The file /etc/samba/overall_share is (before update) created with with “double tabs” 

BEGIN ## sharename = myshare

[myshare]

[double tabs]path = /shares/myshare

[double tabs]comment =

And the new firmware fill with “double space”

  

BEGIN ## sharename = myshare

[myshare]

[double space]path = /shares/myshare

[double space]comment =

The new interface can only edit share section with “double space”. So the easy the solution is to edit (at your own risk) the file /etc/samba/overall_share and make modification.

WD Team> Please improve your developpers team. Make test before launch a product.

Hope this post help other WD community users

7 Likes

Good find!

I can reproduce this.

good job dl3l3b!!  This is what this forum should be for…

dl3l3b wrote:

Just a little warning for all WD my cloud users.

The new update introduce for me a bug on the samba share permissions for all existing directories:

 We can’t add or modify users (full access, read only or remove) for existing directories:

The reason:

 The file /etc/samba/overall_share is (before update) created with with “double tabs” 

BEGIN ## sharename = myshare

[myshare]

[double tabs]path = /shares/myshare

[double tabs]comment =

 

And the new firmware fill with “double space”

  

BEGIN ## sharename = myshare

[myshare]

[double space]path = /shares/myshare

[double space]comment =

 

The new interface can only edit share section with “double space”. So the easy the solution is to edit (at your own risk) the file /etc/samba/overall_share and make modification.

 

WD Team> Please improve your developpers team. Make test before launch a product.

 

Hope this post help other WD community users

Thanks for reporting this dl3l3b, this is currently under investigation. 

I had just purchased a My Cloud 2TB device yesterday and had started setting up shares, THEN updated the firmware and added user accounts, and to my great frustration i kept getting access denied messages when mapping drives under those user accounts. So i check the samba config on the box to see what’s going on and sure enough there’s a bunch of user permission info missing from the overall_share file. I just finished manually editing the file to put the users back in, all the while thinking “am i going to have to edit this file every time?”, and did some searching and came across this thread.

Spot on catch sir, very nice indeed. Signed up for these forums specifically to say thanks :slight_smile:

jubei04 wrote:

Thanks for reporting this dl3l3b, this is currently under investigation. 

Any word on this? I truly believe that this is what is causing me headaches too, and I don’t have the time to put in to learn how to get deeper into the system to fix it. Thanks!

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/User-Can-ONLY-Access-Remotely/m-p/697234

WD Support reached out to me on this yesterday, and I have sent them very detailed steps on how to reproduce the issue.

We’ll see what happens next…

1 Like

Thank You dl3l3b for finding this and the fix.

Thanks TonyPh12345 for updating WD on how to reproduce this issue.

I am like SnapCrates, I really do not know enough to feel confident in editing any linux files, nor do I know the “How To”. I really rely on the forum and WD’s firmware to fix these issues.

So far my box is running fine and I haven’t had to edit any users or shares after my initial setup, so before I have to I hope this gets fixed so we all can edit our boxes with the configurations we have and can continue to use them as intended.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

SectorGZ wrote:

Thank You dl3l3b for finding this and the fix.

Thanks TonyPh12345 for updating WD on how to reproduce this issue.

I am like SnapCrates, I really do not know enough to feel confident in editing any linux files, nor do I know the “How To”. I really rely on the forum and WD’s firmware to fix these issues.

So far my box is running fine and I haven’t had to edit any users or shares after my initial setup, so before I have to I hope this gets fixed so we all can edit our boxes with the configurations we have and can continue to use them as intended.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, this box is the new NAS for our small business of a half-dozen people. I had only added and configured two users before this bug was introduced, and I’ve since added the other four users who cannot access folders to which they have been given access. All eyes are on me to restore productivity to the shop…

If it helps, and people here can’t wait for a firmware update from WD, here’s the general steps i ran through to edit the permissions config file manually:

  1. enable SSH connections on the My Cloud device (Settings -> Network)

  2. Connect to the device with psftp ( http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html), using "open " - e.g. “open 192.168.1.10”

  3. Log in with the admin account credentials on the device (same as web interface login).

  4. Set remote directory to etc/samba using command “cd /etc/samba”

  5. Set local directory to somewhere you can temporarily store the file on your computer, e.g. C:\ using command “lcd c:”

  6. use command “get overall_share” to copy the config file to the local path specified in step 5.

  7. make a copy of this file and store it somewhere else on the local machine in case of error.

  8. manually edit the file to replace all text indents with two (2) spaces, and save. (see first post in this thread for example).

  9. copy the edited file back to the NAS using command “put overall_share” (this assumes that you still have the session open from steps 1-4 - if not, repeat steps 1-4 first)

  10. restart the NAS.

  11. flip all user permissions back and forth to force re-writing of the config file.

  12. attempt to access the shares with user credentials.

  13. if all goes well, disable SSH access again if you had it disabled to begin with.

In case of strange behaviour, re-upload the saved file in step 7 back to the device using the steps outlined above.

Moccy wrote:

If it helps, and people here can’t wait for a firmware update from WD, here’s the general steps i ran through to edit the permissions config file manually:

 

  1. enable SSH connections on the My Cloud device (Settings -> Network)
  1. Connect to the device with psftp ( http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html), using "open " - e.g. “open 192.168.1.10”
  1. Log in with the admin account credentials on the device (same as web interface login).
  1. Set remote directory to etc/samba using command “cd /etc/samba”
  1. Set local directory to somewhere you can temporarily store the file on your computer, e.g. C:\ using command “lcd c:”
  1. use command “get overall_share” to copy the config file to the local path specified in step 5.
  1. make a copy of this file and store it somewhere else on the local machine in case of error.
  1. manually edit the file to replace all text indents with two (2) spaces, and save. (see first post in this thread for example).
  1. copy the edited file back to the NAS using command “put overall_share” (this assumes that you still have the session open from steps 1-4 - if not, repeat steps 1-4 first)
  1. restart the NAS.
  1. flip all user permissions back and forth to force re-writing of the config file.
  1. attempt to access the shares with user credentials.
  1. if all goes well, disable SSH access again if you had it disabled to begin with.

 

In case of strange behaviour, re-upload the saved file in step 7 back to the device using the steps outlined above.

 

 

Wow - thank you!!!

It appears the new firmware only addressed heartbleed. What’s the status of this issue? It’s hard to believe that WD would allow permissions to remain broken for so long.

I had this same problem after update of firmware.  Can confirm that fix works.

lewistech wrote:

I had this same problem after update of firmware.  Can confirm that fix works.

You can confirm that the fix posted here works?