New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.04.01 (3/5/14)

I have got the Thailand one now. When I set it up at home it still had the old Firmware, which somehow got updated to the 03.03.02-165 one, even though I had switched off Automatic Updates. Which was a surprise for me.

Was a surprise to me the night before last when mine updated with Automatic Updates switched off!

@ Royk109,

Mine is still switched off but has not updated to the new Firmware and I hope it won’t because mine is sort of working at the moment. Don’t want to break it now. :wink:

I am glad I am not the only one, because I was flabbergasted how it happened ? Nobody has given me an answer on it. Not even the WD Team.

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ Zetaprime,

Only in Laptops it seems to be working. Usually in PC’s it does not either, because it is usally the cause of a Blue Screen Crash.

To what are you referring? What is it that you’re trying to say is working on Laptops but not PC’s
which as far as I know are the sane thing.

Has anyone downgraded their firmware? I want to know before I try it, since I now have a copy of the previous firmware.

@ Zetaprime,

Are you able to put your whole computer off to sleep ? Because I have 8 of them and they just are not willing to do this, not even with the right drivers. Or they don’t come back from sleep or they just crash. There was a time that it was working, but MS keeps putting out updates that ruins it.

So I end up with only my Monitor gone to sleep but that is how far I can go with them.

The My Cloud is the first thing that sleeps on my network. It’son 24/7 as well the USB 3.0 drive. This is for a month now.

So I do not let my drives in my pc’s sleep, I put it to off. Only my Laptops sleep or can be set in standby or suspend.

@ LinAdmin2,

"Erasing the whole drive takes about 6 hours on a PC or more on a MyCloud.

If it is an old useless hard disk then the solution with a few holes is much faster."

I don’t like the sound of it, but again I understand your frustration. 

You can erase your disks with Killdisk. Or Zap. Easy and quick.

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

http://zap.software.informer.com/download-zap-erase-hard-disk/

My computers have no trouble going to sleep and waking up
I even use an iPhone app called iShutdown to remotely turn them on and off. The drive itself should have its own on-board setting to either turn sleep mode on or off without depending on anything outside its casing to control that function.

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ LinAdmin2,

If it is an old useless hard disk then the solution with a few holes is much faster."

I think the drill method is the easiest and quickest and absolutely ensures that nothing can ever be gotten off the drive.

@ ZetaPrime,

“My computers have no trouble going to sleep and waking up.”

Do you have a lot of hardware attached to it ? And in the all the slots ?

Like Creative Soundcards, PCI cards, PCI Express Cards, Lots of USB, like 12 USB different devices connected to it ? And do you overclock like press the Processor and Memory as far as possible ? Don’t think so.

There is no way you can get it to sleep and get it back.

:smileyvery-happy:@ LinAdmin2,

Try Killdisk, its fast and ZAP of IBM is even faster, it is just ZAP C: or drive letter and it done. Usually only the FBI and CIA can get that info off. So no worries. And never put Bank information on your computer. Just use old trusty paper and a safe. Or ask your wife to keep hold on them. My wife is like a Pitbull. Don’t come near her bag. :wink: She will use that bag on you and so much, they can’t even find your shoe laces back when she is done with you.

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ ZetaPrime,

“My computers have no trouble going to sleep and waking up.”

Do you have a lot of hardware attached to it ? And in the all the slots ?

Like Creative Soundcards, PCI cards, PCI Express Cards, Lots of USB, like 12 USB different devices connected to it ? And do you overclock like press the Processor and Memory as far as possible ? Don’t think so.

There is no way you can get it to sleep and get it back.

Excuse me
I know what my computers can do better than you could
If I tell you I can set them to sleep and wake then just accept it as fact and move on. The only item I’m concerned with at the moment is the WD MyCloud drive. My computers have nithing to do with it anyway.

LinAdmin2 wrote:

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ LinAdmin2,

http://zap.software.informer.com/download-zap-erase-hard-disk/

I do not know these, but technically speaking it is not possible to be faster than what I wrote if you intend to overwrite all data once.

If you just want to get rid of the filesystem then you first can do “rm -fR *” and afterwards mkfs.ext3 and finally wipe both partition tables

But imho this is not safe enough if you do not want anybody spying around

A power drill can put 5 or 6 holes through the unit in less than a minute. I don’t think there’s anything faster except the shotgun or explosives
and those are obviously only for those of us in rural areas.

@ ZetaPrime and LinAdmin2

Sort of like this yes ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d71ceQ-4bHQ

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ ZetaPrime and LinAdmin2

Sort of like this yes ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d71ceQ-4bHQ

You got it
exactly.

Hello. Thank you for the ideas. I performed them all and they ultimately have no effect.

Once all was off and the router power cycled, the PC was rebooted and X.X.X.X tested, the router page came up normally. After the Cloud drive was restarted and attached, it again, took over X.X.X.X and still operates on both X.X.X.X and X.X.X.Y.

What software solution exists? Software caused the problem, naturally there is a softare solution. Any idea where it can be found?

Thank  you.

HawkeWynde, can you start your own thread on this problem? I’d like to try to help, but this thread is too crowded,

HawkeWynde wrote:

Hello. Thank you for the ideas. I performed them all and they ultimately have no effect.

Once all was off and the router power cycled, the PC was rebooted and X.X.X.X tested, the router page came up normally. After the Cloud drive was restarted and attached, it again, took over X.X.X.X and still operates on both X.X.X.X and X.X.X.Y.

What software solution exists? Software caused the problem, naturally there is a softare solution. Any idea where it can be found?

Thank  you.

Did you try reverting to the previous firmware? In case you can’t find it, here’s a link to it:

http://download.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud-030302-165.zip

Don’t know about anyone else but the previous firmware was no better.

My 3TB MyCloud has now been operational for almost 24-hours since the update - thats a little better.

I started a new safepoint after the update to 3.04.01, the MyCloud has a total of 250GB of data on it. So far it has taken 5 1/2 hours to create 150GB of the 270GB safepoint. That means roughly 10-hours to backup with no other drive activity whatsoever going on.

Is this normal for this drive ??

Attached safepoint USB drive is a WD 3-TB MyBook

Thought about the MyCloud EX4 as a replacement but I see they are just as problematic (see other forums).

Anybody have any suggestions for a reliable NAS/Cloud solution, I am looking at Netgear, at least the forums dealing with Netgear do not reflect the mess that WD has!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -and- I am more than willing to work with WD support to resolve this issue.

After new firmware nohing has resolved, even worse because the system is always “Building” (WHAT??) (see image)

This didn’t happened before firmware update. Of course it will never go in “sleep mode”, as I hoped (Yeah, also this didn’t happened before, anyway). Nonetheless in the last 2 days it has disconnected twice from my network so that the only way to reach it again was to unplug/plug the electrical power. Quite disappointed:cry:

I am staying on Jan firmware. Rock solid as long as I disable auto-sleep.