New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.04.01 (3/5/14)

Does the update break DLNA? Becuase mine works perfectly with my TV at the moment. Using the early Jan update.

This is very stable when I turn off auto update:

WDMyCloud v03.03.01-156

After firmware update and a several hours scanning, now it’s more than 12 hours that in the Content Scan Status I’ve been seeing " Building more thumbnails …"

A Followup to my post on page 8 post 79:

The NTP server is working properly and “Sleep Mode” is functioning. Although it does wake up for no apparent reason, at times, but it does fall back to sleep.

I had to reboot the My Cloud twice before this took place, so I hope this helps someone.

Zetaprime,

I recomend you do exactly that and return the drive.

I unfortunatey have passed the 30-day return policy on mine and it has not worked yet, I updated the firmware out of the box and then updated to release 3.04.01, 3-days ago, I have tried all the suggestions I have found on this site and still the drive becomes unavailable.

I do not store huge videos or photos and do not do streaming to TVs or other devices we bought this drive to simply backup our business files at our small office and it has not been reliable for more than 7-days in a row at any time. We need 24/7 non stop reliability to back up our computers and this is with out a doubt never going ot happen with this drive.

I tured off auto update weeks ago way before this updat and still my backups fail because the drive cannot be found. I even switched to WD Smartware for my backups, thought maybe it would play better with the drive, it failed the backup last night and when I opened WD Smartware this morning it had a message on the My CLoud drive about not finding a usable partition.

I have purchased the MyCloud in the past couple of weeks and have had two firmware updates. Each has done the same thing resulting in no longer being able to access my router.

Router IP is X.X.X.X  (I use an IP I chose rather than the standard 192.168.x.x)

MyCloud IP is X.X.X.Y

With the last FW update, I had to wipe out my router, reset it to factory settings and open/unsecure and then go in and reconfigure it, manually. It appears I may have to do this again unless there is a fix that can be eaily performed.

Before the update, I could access the router at X.X.X.X and the MyCloud at X.X.X.Y, respectively. Now, X.X.X.X goes to the MyCloud dashboard and X.X.X.Y also goes to the MyCloud dashboard.

The IPs are obtained dynamically through the router, and the FW overtook X.X.X.X, the main router IP.

A fix would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Applied this just after loading the .deb to turn off logging & I have not had any problems with it. Everything is working as it was before. Streaming is fine & snapshot to my other NAS drive continues to work fine.

Device not shoing up in Quickview yet can access from Windows file manager by typing in \LJKcloud  (my device’s name) and access dashboard by typing its IP into firefox.

Am EXTREMELY disappointed with the flakiness of this device’s firmware as well as the associated windows software. It’s as if it was all written as a class project for Computer Science 101.  Too bad since the hardware has a lot of potential.

Just finished the firmware upgrade. Did manual upgrade from .deb file on Desktop. Took 12 minutes from start to rebooted and logged on via dashboard.

Was doing a scan when I logged in. Scan lasted about 11 minutes. Then I ran the benchmarks and updated thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Everybody-with-slow-MyCloud-please-do-these-tests-and-report/td-p/689405.

WD-Debunker wrote:

WestwindDriver wrote:

Zetaprime,

I recomend you do exactly that and return the drive.

I unfortunatey have passed the 30-day return policy on mine and it has not worked yet, I updated the firmware out of the box and then updated to release 3.04.01, 3-days ago, I have tried all the suggestions I have found on this site and still the drive becomes unavailable.

I am not familiar with consumer rights in USA, but in western Europe you have warranty of 2 years and if a product 6 months after lounch still does not work as advertised you can give it back for a full refund even after 30 days!

I also need to see that the drive is destroyed in my presence to prevent any private data from being retained. Everything I’ve read says that the only way  to ensure your security is to physically destroy the drive or subject it to a very strong magnetic field.

Just a thought came to me…Since my drive was working fine until that update on 3/5, restoring the pre-3/5 firmware ought to fix it. Is there any source for that previous firmware?

Just located WDMyCloud-030302-165.zip…Any advice on installing previous firmware before I try it?

By the way, also turned off auto update and sleep mode…Maybe that’ll do it.

WD-Debunker2 wrote:

Zetaprime

Destroying the drive has been necessary in old days.

Nowadays it is enough to overwrite with other data.

Are you sure? NSA, CIA, DoD, etc. still consider it necessary to physically destroy the drive since the method you suggest still leaves traces that could allow data recovery.

WD-Debunker wrote:

gewilli wrote:

Just finished the firmware upgrade. Did manual upgrade from .debb file on Desktop. Took 12 minutes from start to rebooted and logged on via dashboard.

Was doing a scan when I logged in. Scan lasted about 11 minutes. Then I ran the benchmarks and updated thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Everybody-with-slow-MyCloud-please-do-these-tests-and-report/td-p/689405.

Just for curiosity, does your box sleep with the new firmware? Mine stays awake for days now.

I just noticed it sleeping.

My old drives get 3 or 4 3/8’’ holes through their platters from the electric drill before they are discarded

Hi All,

I have to tell that I have not updated, because I am now weary of all the troubles that I see, again.

My first WD My Cloud, gave me terrible problems even so much that it destroyed the HDD in it with a screeching sound and therefore I had brought it back to the Shop. However, when I was in the shop, I was tempted to give it one more chance with another one.

Coming home I noticed that there were the two were from different manufacture, One from Malaysia, the Other from Thailand.

I have got the Thailand one now. When I set it up at home it still had the old Firmware, which somehow got updated to the 03.03.02-165 one, even though I had switched off Automatic Updates. Which was a surprise for me.

But having said that, I have rebooted and shut it down several times and also have it connected with a ASMEDIA, Hitatchi USB 3.0 drive. It has been working. It has been sleeping, it has been scanning Media, it has been used remotely, miles and miles away. Even in another country. Whether with a laptop, PC, Mobile Phone or ipad. It was accessible. However on that, large files do not stream or play. Small files do.  You can download them and upload them, but not play. Not sure why.

I cannot use NTP, my router does not allow it. Even if I switch on Port forwarding 123. If I do, my Apple TV stops working. So I just use Manual Time. I can do FTP, I use DHCP but in the router I made the IP address Static for the My Cloud. This works usually for all Hardware. I do not have the disconnecting of the My Cloud. It just stays online.

I have it on a Managed Switch and it always has been on there. I do not have it on the router. The reason is because the Switch regulates the Traffic between all hardware because it has a processor and settings for QOS, so has my router, but when the PC’s, Laptops, other wireless stuff like Phone and Ipad is regulated through the Managed Switch and does not look at the Router Processor, so I leave the Internet streaming up to the Router and that Processor in it. So I have one 1 GBps cable running from the router to the Switch and all other hardware on the Switch. Works fine.

Once and while I just shut down all things and restart it after a few minutes. To keep all refreshed and connected. Usually once a week, two weeks. Maybe unnecessary, but finding my hardware is not a problem on my Network, likely because of this routine. I am saying, it might not be necessary, but I do it anyways. It only is a few minutes and refreshed all IP addresses where they are supposed to be.

What really would be nice if they would create hardware that does this automatically when it notices there is no traffic or demand on the network, aka at night when you and everybody is sleeping. Like 4-5 am for example. But there is no consumer hardware like that so much. I only heard that Belkin is doing such things. Some people I have heard they do use a timer for that on their hardware. Not sure if that is a good thing. But whatever.

I do have some little problems like when I do switch some switches on the My Cloud Dashboard, it gives an error code, but does not really affect operation of the My Cloud.

The EX2 hardware is I think a much better hardware design, but I do not know when this thing was in the pipeline @ WD. Seeing it first time, I thought, WD should have started with this as entry model and keep the price low.

Having said that, my WD My Cloud is working with the 03.03.02-165 firmware, eventhough so many have problems with that firmware. I only have been thinking, is there a difference with where it is manufactured ? My first one gave me the shock of my life. I have only seen 2 HDD’s in my life giving up the ghost. But when I saw WD Red drive in the first My Cloud, I could not believe it. Since this drive is tested as one of the most reliable drives that are available on the market., now probably superseded by the Purple WD drive, but I do not believe other companies such as Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung will sit on their behinds and come with something similar. Data reliability becomes more and more an issue with consumers as well big business. So to be able to handle this properly, Drives need to be come indestructable and have a long life of operation.

Having said that again, I have no idea why this firmware and other firmware has given so much trouble. You can ask, is it a certain group, batch or just how we use it and perhaps some of us go to the deepest levels and use all options switched on because we expect maybe too much ? But then again, a company such as WD, who just got a award of been able to create over 6000 solutions for the modern day world in operation, how is it and how come that we are still struggling with the WD My Cloud ?

So then, I just hope that a finished off firmware that just works for all comes along, but for now, mine has been not too bad. Even with Safepoints, every night it makes dutifully at 4 am a backup and I have jogged it several times and it just does and reports it with an email.

I have not been able to use the WD Smartware than only once. I found no way to delete what I had backed up, if I was not happy with the backup of it, than the only solution I had was completely formatting the drive, because it was not allowing to just delete the share. I know it is a bit designed for that.

Secondly with Smartware, you cannot make a complete back up of the entire drive including mbr, fat, OS, Programs, Data. Not sure why not. It would be nice to do so. So you can backup your system too and restore it when it goes funny even with Restore of Windows.

Gigabyte has such a program and it is called Gigabyte Smart Recovery and it can be installed on your PC, laptop and you can use a Windows Repair Disc to restore your computer as well your Partitions. I use it for years like that and some of my Backups/DriveImages of my whole operating systems are over 2-3 years old, except updated with the Service Packs and MS updates.

I can still do this with the Smart Recovery program which I am going to do soon with using it for with SSD drives. Quick update to the My Cloud is my next project and see how I can restore it while wiping first the Partition of C: with Windows on it and then overnight restoring it from the My Cloud and in the Morning a fresh new PC again. Not sure if that is going to work, because now I do it with a ESATA drive attached and restore it from there. Works good. But it would be nice to use WD SmartWare for that to do that just both ways automatically or scheduled. An idea ?

So then, here my two cents of worth. Cheers !

KJ

gewilli wrote:

WD-Debunker wrote:

gewilli wrote:

Just finished the firmware upgrade. Did manual upgrade from .debb file on Desktop. Took 12 minutes from start to rebooted and logged on via dashboard.

Just for curiosity, does your box sleep with the new firmware? Mine stays awake for days now.

I just noticed it sleeping.

I wonder why WD can’t manage a simple thing like having a working sleep mode switch. How can they build drives and not know how to make a simple switch?

royk109 wrote:

My old drives get 3 or 4 3/8’’ holes through their platters from the electric drill before they are discarded

Hmm…That sounds like a quieter way than using the sledgehammer or the 12-gauge on it. Never thought of just drilling thru it. And the store’s tech dep’t is sure to have power drills on their bench.

@ Zetaprime,

Only in Laptops it seems to be working. Usually in PC’s it does not either, because it is usally the cause of a Blue Screen Crash.