New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.43.03 – 022 (10/8/2013​)

I went ahead with the update dispite dire warnings, and it went flawlessly.

My previous firmware was some unstable version from Sept 12 and I feel it is time for an update.

I did reboot NAS, computer, router, and shut down other computers before I started.

I use Windows Media Center with movie, picture, music, recordedTV directories

pointing to subdirectories in mybooklive “public” share, everything works fine after the update.

Of course I am completely out of touch with today’s fancy technology, and have very old hardware:

Lenovo R61’s running Windows 7 and 8; Ethernet connections only, with Dlink DIR-615 router and

a TopLink 8 port gigabit switch. That way Ethernet speed is not limited by DIR-615 at 100Mb.

File transfer speed is usually at 30 MB/s with mybooklive.

I used the link in this post to download deb file. My network does not have Internet access.

I started a manual update this morning from system>updates>check for update.

Update firmware box is open and is showing “100% downloaded” and has been stuck there for 30 mins.

Anyone else seeing this???

I want to exit out and try again but I dont want to mess up my hard drive. thoughts??

I didn’t update this firmfire …ı tried once 9x it says update succesfull but when restarted it says not succesful:((

I never got past the download. But now my drive is completely inaccessible!!!

Update.

After problems on Sunday with the Firmware upgrade seeming not to reset I tried connecting the NAS direct to a laptop via Ethernet.  After a lot of delay I was able to access the Dashboard, although very, very slowly.

It seems that after the Firmware update the drive has a rogue process running on it using lots of CPU time (on the drive) and accessing the disk constantly.  This makes it very difficult/slow to access.  I have run the Short Diagnostic Test from the WebUI and it gets to 90% and then stalls.  I have tried downloading a Diagnostic report it failed to complete. I have rebuilt the media database.  (I tried the long test as well it also seemed to stall.)

I have filed a Support email, but apart from the automated response have not had a response. 

The good news is that I have been able to read/write data on the disk.  Fortunately it is only a duplicate of a backup disk and a duplicate  of my music library.

I am thinking the next step will be a Factory restore, not sure whether to go for a Quick or Full restore. Or whether to connect to the NAS via TTY?

What kind of ethernet cable did you use to connect directly to your computer? And how did you get to the dashboard when connected directly to you computers ethernet port?

I used a spare cable I had around that - it is a blue patch cable. (Which I assumed was a crossover, but am not sure, I am not sure it matters so much nowadays either.)

Then I opened the network view and it appeared with the name I had given it. A right click opened up the Browser window by default. Although I could have left clicked it for other options, including opening an explorer window to the drive.

It was accessible but very slow.

ok … so conceivably (once attached through my ethernet port) I could wipe the drive and start from scratch and not have to buy a new one?

Possibly- you can do a Factory Retore from the WebUI then.

I guess the other option would be to take the drive out and then use a USB/SATA cradle to get direct access to the disk.

I just updated my book live, and now the public folder can’t be accessed…

I use dashboard and goto to ‘shares’ , the public folder is stated:

User access cannot be defined for the default Public Share.

please anybody who has idea what should I do to access the public folder…

or

if I open the my book live case, can I access the folder wihout password? 

i don’t care anymore about the warrany.    

Thanks in advance

satria

After the firmware upgrade through the Dashboard the MBl doesn’t boot anymore ?

I get no reaction what so ever, no lights nothing, I just can feel that the drive starts spinning after I put the power on…

Thanks…what now ?

regards,

Grovers

satria wrote:

I just updated my book live, and now the public folder can’t be accessed…

I use dashboard and goto to ‘shares’ , the public folder is stated:

User access cannot be defined for the default Public Share.

please anybody who has idea what should I do to access the public folder…

or

if I open the my book live case, can I access the folder wihout password? 

i don’t care anymore about the warrany.    

Thanks in advance

satria

Same with me. My default public share is no longer accessible. I had to create another one, then SSH into the NAS and move all the files from the old share to the new share dir and still that share is only accessible if I use the ip/sharename. I can no longer browse the device ffrom the root, nor access the shares directly using it’s name.

I hope someday WD will recognize this update is a dud and release a fixed version.

I have notified the corresponding team about the issue with Public share access after the update for investigation.

Regards,

1 Like

Any responds on my problem…?

well, I went to the web panel to wake up the MBL so I could map to it to find some pictures onthe public share.  It prompted me that it was gonna run this update, so after starting at the ok button I hit ok.  Firmware update seems to have gone fine.  I could see and get to the existing public shares.

Grovers wrote:

Any responds on my problem…?

Grovers,

On something like this, you need to contact support and let them know what happened to you.  I would do it by phone, so that it’s a quicker resolution for you.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

This product should be pulled off the market. This is a must. I just don’t have the nerve to deal with this stone anymore. I can’t access it from my Samsung TV without it crashing (I did a couple of times. I even watched a movie from this device on my TV! that was nice). I can’t access it from my computer anymore even though I see its IP. I can’t plug it on my computer like a usb drive so I can access my files at least. It has been sitting there for a few months without a use and I wanted to access a few photos I had transferred there and now I can’t even access anything on the drive anymore. When I try a firmware update it tells me incompatible firmware( 31101 - Invalid firmware package) . (when it doesnt say: 31103 - Upgrade download failure)

I mean what kind of a device autoupdate would tell you that the device is incompatible with the firmware it’s auto updating from?. It’s silly. And I live in Istanbul, Turkey where there is no phone support apparently.

So I’m just sitting here and thinking: This product must be pulled off the market.

Trancer wrote:

I have notified the corresponding team about the issue with Public share access after the update for investigation.

Regards,

Hi Trancer,

If I open the case and pull out the harddisk drive, is the folder still lock out?

Thanks in advance

satria wrote:

Trancer wrote:

Regards,

Hi Trancer,

If I open the case and pull out the harddisk drive, is the folder still lock out?

Thanks in advance

satria,

You most likely just voided your warranty pulling the drive out.  You should give support a call so that they can try to walk you through what may have happened, and make sure that the drive is or isn’t bricked.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

1 Like

I have got my drive working with help from WD Support.  After removing it from my Network and directly connecting it to my Laptop (via Ethernet) the problem was that the My Book Live was very slow. As if there were rogue processes running on the NAS. The Green Light was constantly showing disk access and you could here the drive hammering away.

I did a Factory Restore but still had the performance issues. I connected support via email but heard nothing from them So I used the Request Support Support facility in the WebUI (Dashboard). I got a response back after a few hours. 

The suggestion was to turn off Media Streaming, which immediately made the drive more responsive. I also turned off the iTunes Streaming as well.  This massively reduced disc activity but the drive was still being accessed and would not go into hibernation (power-saving mode).  

So I also turned off the Remote Access. The disk activity stopped and the green light became constant. Later on the drive went into Hibernation and the light went blue.

I am not sure what the problem was - I use the NAS drive as a backup drive for my pictures and music. It also used by my Sonos system as a source for the music. 

I have >100,000 pictures and ~9,000 music tracks. So the problem could be the Media Server software on the NAS Drive, a problem with one of the files or that it struggles to cope with so many files.  

I use SyncToy (Microsoft) to sync up the music and picture directories.

Thanks to WD Support - at least I have my drive back.  I have a Windows 8  Desktop and have also removed the WD app - which only intermittently worked, as part of simplifying the WD access.