New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.43.03 – 022 (10/8/2013​)

WD support has not help me yet. While waiting, I try to install all the software for MBL from WD TV Live

I run WD My Cloud app, and suprrise… I can see all my files again after enter my old password…

Now I am busy transfering all the files to my MBLD…:smiley:

Hope this info help others that their MBL public share is locked…

Update:

• Tried connecting drive to my computer’s ethernet port with a crossover cable … no luck. Network light just blinks once in awhile but nothing else happens.
  • Decided to disassemble the casing to get to the HD (nothing else to lose at this point). FYI - For disassembly I used the following video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLJi66vxnY. Hardest part was getting the outside casing off. After that just a matter of removing screws and carefully pulling things apart to expose the HD and its sata ports.
  • Will get a sata to USB adaptor to try and reformat the drive and then reconnect to the network board it is connected to. If I cannot get the NAS to work at least I will have a 2TB external drive to store files on.

Someone really needs to quality test these firmware updates and at a ‘minumum’ provide a way to manually do the update rather than OTA. 

After I got  emailed from WD support about how to fix it, I get an idea to make a new microsoft account  first ( I use win 8.1)> and all the trouble are gone now…  > Thanks to the WD great support and this great forum…:smileyvery-happy:

That’s very odd.  Isn’t it a pain to run a different Windows account though?  I would want to have to use a new email address / Skydrive, etc, etc.  What did the email advise you to do?  

Would appreciate your further info and opinions. 

Thanks 

Tyke

Since I did the update, my drive light keeps flashing green and I can hear lots of drive activity.  I cannot access the Dashboard or MyBook Live Public share in my web browser any more though.  The shares in Windows Explorer are no longer accessible.  

I can access a small number of files on my PS3, so the DLNA server must be working a bit.  I spent most of yesterday uploading content to my brand new drive, so am gutted that I can’t use it properly.  I tried a router and driver power off / on, and am having the exact same issues.  

If it is normal for indexing to take hours and screw up access, please could WD notify users before we upgrade firmware / upload data?!  If this is a known problem, so official info and guidance would be appreciated - lots of people reporting similar issues.  

Would really appreciate help from any fellow users or WD people.  This drive looks like it could be awesome with access from all my devices (ps3, laptop, tablet, phone) and over the web.  Really hope I can get it working!!

Hi London Tyke,

That is what happened to me - with the advice of WD support I turned off the Streaming/DLNA /remote Access and that stopped all the disk activity.  Which means my drive now has an acceptable performance again. (For back up and my Sonos system - i.e. a bare NAS drive)).  But as you point out all the extra benefits are lost.

I did ask the WDC Support whether the problem might be due to some “corruption” in either my music or picture files which are also  streamed.  My problem might also be due to limit on how many picture/music files can be catalogued.  No reply so far.  The problem was definitely brought on by the Firmware update though.

If they are going to add neat features they also need to provide some way of monitoring the NAS control system so we can see what is going on.  

I seem to have solved most of my probs by doing:

1. Turning on uPNP on my router

2. Connecting My Book to same router as my PS3 and that I use for Wifi (I have two linked ones that usually let all devices talk to each other, but not the My Book apparently). 

3. Turning media sharing off on the My Book and then turning it back on.

4. Turning media sharing off on my PS3 off then back on. 

why they can’t put this in the instructions eh?!  Good luck with your issues. 

when you add media, it not only just copies the files, but it creates thumbnails and does other indexing.  If you “just added a bunch of media” and now the drive is blinking, just leave it alone for a day or two.

Hi here is the email I got from [Deleted].WD support.  

I hope you all can make it as a guide to troubleshoot your problem after upgrade the firmware

=====  

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. 

We truly apologize for the inconvenience, I will be more than glad to assist you.

Please make sure to connect the power adapter directly to a wall outlet or wall socket instead of a power strip or power surge. This is to ensure the drive receives enough energy to be recognized by the computer.

You can try to reset the unit, which is done by pressing and holding the Reset button located on the back of the unit, right above the Ethernet port, for 4 or 5 seconds, and then releasing it. This procedure will restart the unit and can take up to 3 minutes, this normally fixes some glitches that might be undergoing from bad firmware updates or other small errors.

Please verify all the Network Services are enabled. On the Computer click on “Start” and typing “Services.msc” and pressing Enter. This will evoke the Services control panel. You will see all the services on your computer listed here. Here we will verify that all Network related services are up and running correctly. You will verify the following:

-SSDP Discovery
-Network Access Protection Agent
-Network Connections
-Network List Service
-Network Location Awareness
-Network Store Interface Service
-UPnP Device Host

• Work Station
  • Server
  • Computer Browser
  • Net. TCP Port Sharing Service

All of these Services, under Status, need to be either “Manual” or “Automatic” in order to be working correctly. If any of those Services show as being “Disabled” under the Status area, you will need to enable it. To do this, you right click on top of the Service, and click on “Properties”. After that, on “Startup Type”, set it to Automatic, and then close it.

Please attempt to connect the unit directly to your computer by connecting the Ethernet cable from the drive, directly to the computer. This takes the Router, and thus the Network, out of the equation and will let us know if it’s a Drive issue or a Network issue. While trying this, make sure you try with a different Ethernet cable if possible, to rule out the possibility of a bad cable being the cause of this issue.

You may need to disable Windows Firewall. To disable your Firewall, you need to click on “Start”, then open “Control Panel”. Here you will click on “Windows Firewall” or “System and Security” and then “Windows Firewall”, depending on your display option. After this, on the panel on the left side, click on “Turn Windows Firewall on or off” and under the option for “Home or work (private) network location settings”, set the option to “Turn off Windows Firewall”.

There is also the possibility that you have another program that is the one managing the Firewall options. If that’s the case, Windows will tell you that, and then you would need to access that software’s interface and disable the Firewall from there.

You might need to change the Workgroup on your computer to match the one on the Network Drive. The Network Drive comes with a Workgroup set to Workgroup by default, which is the default name of all Windows Vista and Windows 7 computers, as well as many network devices now days. However your computer might have a different Workgroup.

To change the Workgroup, you need only to click on “Start”, and then right-click on top of where it says “Computer”, and click on “Properties”. In Properties, once you scroll down, you will find the Workgroup, and, should the Workgroup be set to anything other than Workgroup, you will change it to Workgroup.

=======

Bill_S,

so I did already and the only thing I got back was to try reset and if that didn’t help send it in for replacement.

On my question what would happen to all my ‘data’ I didn’t got an answer anymore…

so, here I am, trusting a good brand I thougt, exactly doing what I’ve been told, upgrading the firmware through the dashboard and then end of story…‘data’ gone.

hi Grovers,

I experience also the panic because of updating the firmware. and the public folder was lock with password.

But without doing anything with the MBL directly, I can save my data…

have you tried your MBL with other computer? 

Don’t give up on WD products… 

okay this time they screw up because of firmware issue, but they are with good support…

Last year I returned my 1TB broken harddrive and  was replaced with 2TB new… 

Satria said:

hi Grovers,

I experience also the panic because of updating the firmware. and the public folder was lock with password.

But without doing anything with the MBL directly, I can save my data…

have you tried your MBL with other computer? 

Don’t give up on WD products… 

okay this time they screw up because of firmware issue, but they are with good support…

Last year I returned my 1TB broken harddrive and  was replaced with 2TB new… 

Satria,

I don’t normally…byt this concerns my personal data that gets lost without any effort.
Glad they replace my MBL but the data is more precious to me…

regards,

@all,

after seeing only clouds, thunder and storms , it finally comes to a good end…

It concerned my personal data that was on the MBL which would not start anymore after being upgraded with new firmware through the Dashboard… I setup an incident call and got the reply that I had to Reset the device and if that didn’t work I had to send it in and it would be replaced. I would lost all my personal data by the way…

This was not acceptale for me as I said to WD Support. I finally got an email giving me tips about how to get the personal data off the “bricked” MBL with out losing my waranty.:smiley:

Although it was my responsibility to open savely the case and get the drive out, if all went well I even could keep my waranty. That’s what I call a great service and helping a customer, well done WD !!

Well, the first steps are promising, I could get the case open, I got the drive out, I could connect it to my PC and with special Linux software I could acces the drive and yes !! , even my personal data.

I will also try to fix the booting problem after I savely copied my data to another place which is not easy if it concerns 1,6 TB !

I will tell you all the whole prcedure when I’m ready.

Untill then , keep fingers crossed…

regards,

I removed my drive from the inclosure all the way down to the internal drive. I bought a sata to USB adapter but no go. The drive powers up but none of my computers (tried 3) will recognize the drive. This is so utterly frustrating.

I have tried every trick I can find and nothing works … unless someone has a bright idea???

Re: tamon_v

If youre system is windows then that is logical…

The MBL drive is kind of Debian Linux partitionized so it uses extensions EXT3 and 4.

You need a linux disk reader and the best one you can use for this without bricking the HD too is the one from Disk Internals as it accesses  the HD in read only mode, just google the linux reader disk internals…

Good Luck,

Good tip … will give that a try. Is it possible to reimage to drive and try to get it going with network access?

Downloaded, installled … then plugged in my drive … still not able to see the drive … ARGH!!!

Tried on a second computer with the same result …

Never buying a WD product again!!!

Why would anyone with a currently working MyBook Live install new firmware when all it ever seems to lead to is grief?

I had working Twonky playlists once but not since an earlier so-called “upgrade”.

What actual benefit is there to the user? And if it’s just another “security” release, I think I’d rather risk insecurity.

After messing around with the advanced network sharing settings I am now able to see the Twonky Server through windows explorer however:

1. Can only see a few files (I suspect all of my media needs to be indexed)
  2. CANNOT see the drive through windows explorer (public or private drives)
  3. CANNOT access  webui through IP or my drive name’s address
  4. Smartware software sees my drive but when I select it prompts for a username and password
  5. I also tried running the mybook live set up again with the following results:

Detected drive connected to my router
Set up came back with the following error messages:

We’ve detected that you may not be able to:
Configure the device (settings, etc.)
Copy files to or from the device
Browse the devices shared folders
Map a shared folder

now what??