New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.11.09-053 (4/23/12)

Gather the log files and tell what the last few lines of user.log are.

whsbuss wrote:
Still will not sleep. Any suggestions?

How do I get to the logs?

Uodated firmwareā€¦ No hassles as beforeā€¦ Well done WD. But please improve Customer Care in Singaporeā€¦Instead of helping for a workaround the last time they asked me to escalate to US teamā€¦

whsbuss wrote:
How do I get to the logs?

Via the Web UIā€¦ 

SUPPORT ā†’ Create & Save (report)

I had exactly the same thing happen, and - like you - was lucky and got it to work using the manual update. Itā€™s a bit crazy that this version specifically says it fixes the ā€œstuck at 10%ā€ issue. I never ever had this problem before this version, so somebodyā€™s done something wrong. With all due respect to Tony, and recognizing how difficult it must be to program an update thatā€™s supposed to work on every computer no matter what the configuration is, I think his claim that this version is ā€œrock solidā€ needs to be mitigated.

But here is the thing JoeyG.Ā  Itā€™s a Network drive.Ā  Essentially a seriously cut-down computer.Ā  All the WebUI does is upload the update file into the MyBook Live and the entire update process happens inside the MBL. The process meter just seems to be there to reassure the user that the update is happening.

Point of proof if I update my MBL differently.Ā  I manually copy the upgrade file to the MBL and then on the MBLā€™s Linux command prompt invoke the script to start the update.Ā  My computerā€™s only then acting as a dumb Telnet terminal.

I would also be mightily puzzled why out of so many units with identical hardware, why so many would fail to update.

Only thing I can think of is that the firmware that is being replaced put the MBLā€™s operating in such a state to interfere and break the update process.

When I first tried to update my firmware it got stuck at 10% a time or two then I connected a ethernet cable directly from my router to my computer and it worked fine.Ā  Although my wireless card shows 130 Mbps it still must not be as stable as my wired connection.Ā  It worked first try after running a cable directly from the router to the pc.

Iā€™m wondering if maybe some of the ā€œstuck at 10%ā€ problems on this update are just not giving it enough time. I know that on the previous firmware update it was reported to be stuck for more than an hour, and thatā€™s obviously a problem. My observation on this update is that the progress meter is not at all linear with time. I didnā€™t have my stopwatch out, but mine stayed at 10% for five minutes or so. I was starting to get a little nervous, but then it immediately jumped straight to 50%. The last 90% barely took any longer than the first 10%.

ā€œWhen I first tried to update my firmware it got stuck at 10% a time or two then I connected a ethernet cable directly from my router to my computer and it worked fine.ā€

I thought that when instigating an update from the UI the MBL would then take over and download the update direct to the MBL itself, but if it downloads it to the PC that started the update and then transfers it to the MBL, that could explain some of the long installation times if using a PC on an unstable wireless connection? Just a thought.

I initially received fourĀ error messages in a row that the update had failed. However, the device now reports it has the current firmware.Ā I suspect the install package may not be checking carefully enough to determine what has already been installed. I have advisedĀ WD viaĀ trouble report reference isĀ 120425-004734.

I just applied the update via the WebUI, the download and install went fine, then the reboot just hung forever. I risked pulling the plug on the device and fortunately it re-started and the WebUI was able to re-establish a link. First time experience of a firmware update glitch, think Iā€™ll be more cautious next time.

Seems like nice update. Thank you WD!Ā 

My question is, will MBL ever sleep if remote access is enabled?

yes it will sleep,Ā  I updated earlier this afternoon after which is slept for almost 3 hours until I needed to watch something, media server and remote access activated, but no itunes and no pictures shares on the drive.

Iā€™m guessing that the Web UI is working asynchronously with the firmware update process and itā€™s possible the Web UI gets out-of-sync with the upgrade processes, or under certain circumstances can do.

I now invoke the upgrade process directly from the Linux command line and the upgrade process for me has been absolutely fine so far.  Performing the update process and bypassing the Web UI just removes it from the upgrade process.  One less to go go wrong.  :smiley:

Julian wrote:

I initially received four error messages in a row that the update had failed. However, the device now reports it has the current firmware. I suspect the install package may not be checking carefully enough to determine what has already been installed. I have advised WD via trouble report reference is 120425-004734.

i upgraded last night.Ā  I was on the november 2011 firmware, the first of the 2.10 . I did the ā€œliveā€ update from the dashboard/settings/updates screen.

Took over a minute to download, sat at 10% for 2 minutes, 50% for 2 minutes, then 70 and 90 for two minutes, then reboot.Ā  So, total time was about 8 minutes, no issues.

I did try to launch netflix on my tv during the end of the install and it wouldnā€™t launch until the reboot was finished, I think it may have been the router trying to assign the IPs.Ā  But once dashbaord came back up the TV app launched.

Anyway, I wasnā€™t having issues before, and Iā€™m not having any now.

3 drives updated and all running fine.

Regards

Gnome

Two drives updated and the world is still turningā€¦

To be completely fair, I should have been clear inĀ asserting that the update seems toĀ work fine, notwithstanding a minor bump on the road arising from what, in hindsight, I suspectĀ was likely aĀ false error message.

Is there ayuone who tried to install minidlna on the WD my book live with upgraded firmware?

Iā€™m getting a lot of errors during install procedure. On the previous firmware release I was able to start minidlnaā€¦

Please let me know whatā€™s your experience.

is anyone else experiencing problem to connect via iPad app Buzzplayer?

edit: please ignore this question, I accidentally connect to my neighborā€™s networkĀ :flushed: