New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.11.09-053 (4/23/12)

I’m getting a lot of errors during install procedure.

It appears this new firmware introduced a module or two with which aptitude/apt-get can not keep dependency in check.

In my case, attempt to update php5 modules failed and created “broken” modules.

There might be a way to fix this but I am not a linux person so I eneded up running a fake upgrade to undo my doing.

Oh my…   Break php5 and you break CakePHP.  Break CakePHP and you break the Web/Dashboard UI.  :neutral_face:

Break php5 and CakePHP and the support people at Western Digital will have a bit of a giggle…   Maybe…

Myron,  I wrote this on other thread but a highlight for me on this new firmware is that php5 does not have mysql support built-in anymore.  Mysql-server itself will still install without any error  however the default php5 install  can no longer talk to mysql.   Up until last firmware upgrade I was using apache2, php5, mysql combinatin  to set up a prototype web server on which I could run database driven cms such as wordpress, Joomra , modx and drupal.  All bets are off now.  

I know WD did not intend this device for such a usage (Speed of Web service with all those extra is not that great with this hardware, only adequte for prototype site usage I believe) 

Fortunately I have another MBL that I did not update the firmware. it will stay that way unless somebody figure out  the way to resolve this but I will not hold the breath for that.

I see W.D. point of view.and to be honest and fair, looking through all these threads of the tails of woe, the configuration for the MyBook Live, as you also state was designed for a specific set of purposes.

One of the main purposes is storage of files, to do this accurately and reliably…

Installing other stuff that changes the configuration of the Linux OS is just the same as playing Russian roulette.

Personally, I don’t have a problem using software on the MBL that does not alter the configuration of the OS or interfere with W.D’s customisations AND do not automatically start when the MBL starts,  Like on my MBL I’ve stopped netatalk but when it’s rebooted netatalk will start because maybe netatalk is needed to be accessible during the OS’s boot-up sequence.

Yes, there are a few annoyances like not being able to set permissions for the Public older.  It seems stuck in to allow everyone access.  That does not need software to correct and is safe to implement and if it causes a problem, to reverse.

For all who are interested. . . .

Edit /etc/trustees.conf , find the entry for Public and change that to:

[/dev/sda4]/shares/Public:admin:RWBEX:*:CU

Do the same change to /tmp/trustees.mod but do NOT change anything below ###DENY LIST.

Invoke the command: settrustees -f /tmp/trustees.mod

All of a sudden you find that only the user admin has access to the Public share and none of the system software within the MBL are affected!   WOOHOO!!!

Point is, if it causes problems in the future, do the same again except change admin for a * and it’s back to exactly the way W.D. set it.  100% reversible customisation.

Actually, I’m impressed by this so elegant change because even VSFTPD is denied access to the Public directory if the logged in user is not admin.

All good fun!  :wink:

Successfully upgraded via the dashboard.  8 minutes from start of download till completion of upgrade.  Blinking green LED then persisted for quite a while (possibly an hour).  Can anyone explain what’s going on during this time?

Cheers.

Indexing media and transcoding stuff.

Thanks.

Even though the drive’s content was constant, pre and post firmware update?

I think after a firmware update databases and stuff are re-built. An errr on the side of caution by W.D.

Understood.  Thanks Myron.

Makes sense.  Consider this . . .   Some time between firmware updates maybe the MBL has suffered an accidental or deliberate power loss while in the middle of writing something to disc?  It’s an example.  Maybe something happened to only get a fraction of the stuff on the disk indexed and transcoded.

Thing is, the MBL is designed to be plugged in and left turned on so it’s not like there is a computer with a 800 Watt power supply that has to be left on for several hours or days wasting power indexing and transcoding.

If Twonky is left like it is to watch in real-time then only changes are worked on.

Bit like performing an initial synchronisation of files between two hard drives.   First time it’s painful because everything has to go across and that could take hours or even a few days.  After that frequent synchronisation tasks take a few minutes.  I guess it’s the same if someone has a large media collection on their MBL, where the firmware upgrade resets the databases and Tronky has to trawl through everything.

It becomes an issue when nothing is indexing or rebuilsing anything but the green activity LED keeps on flashing and not stopping to then go to blue if the power saving option is disabled.

If you are still interested - i solved problem with installation of miniDLNA by force-overwriting some packages. You need to download archive from here

tar -xzf libc_for_02.11.09-053.tar.gz
cd libc-for-02.11.09-053

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite libc-bin_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite libc6_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite libc6-ppc64_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb

apt-get -f install

Hi,

After the upgrade the twonky seems to be still not holding my private and public share location under sharing tab.When I manually select my shared drives and saves the drive starts indexing and Musci tracks,photos and videos numbers are updated completely.

If I switch off device and restart /power failure twonky only partially indexes my contents.when I checked the

http://192.xxx.x.x:9000/config tab ,under sharing I could see my drive locations has been erased and some htt://mybook… etc has been filled in by default.

I have to select in the drives location again to save for twonky to start indexing again.

Why is this ? does any of twonky config  files corrupted ?. Other than that it streams video audio to all my DLNA devices with out any issue.

regards

-Eff

In your message I spied “power failure”.  Please expand on this. Like is this is when you pull the plug or where you live suffers frequent power outages?

Hi,

After upgrade the new firmware my book live is restarting every 90 minuts, in the log appears this line: 

“May  9 21:55:20 MyBookLive logger: reset button pressed, invoking reset actions”, but I never press the reset button.

And obviously when enter tho webUI everything is unconfigure :cry: please help.

Ok. Garanda. This one is beyond me. Restarting every 90 minutes because it thinks the reset button has been pressed when it has not.  Your MyBook Live is in an unknown state that a factory reset might not fix. I suspect you will need to arrange an R.M.A. with W.D. and have your MyBook Live replaced.

garanda wrote:

Hi,

After upgrade the new firmware my book live is restarting every 90 minuts, in the log appears this line: 

“May  9 21:55:20 MyBookLive logger: reset button pressed, invoking reset actions”, but I never press the reset button.

And obviously when enter tho webUI everything is unconfigure :cry: please help.

Hi Xendar,

could you post instructions on how you installed miniDLNA?

I tried using your libraries and installed them, but I still can’t  install the other necessary libraries to compile miniDLNA.

I’m getting these errors executing:        

apt-get install libid3tag0-dev libexif-dev libjpeg-dev libsqlite3-dev

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libexif-dev: Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed
  libid3tag0-dev: Depends: zlib1g-dev but it is not going to be installed
  libjpeg62-dev: Depends: libc-dev
  libsqlite3-dev: Depends: libsqlite3-0 (= 3.5.9-6) but 3.7.3-1 is to be installed
                  Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Hi, sweetpapa

I have installed packages from my previous post and then, as usual, followed step-by-step instructions from here

Everything was fine. Looks like you need libc6-dev package (don’t know why, i didn’t install it specially) - my advice to you, try to install it. All packages i took from this mirror

sweetpapa wrote:

Hi Xendar,

could you post instructions on how you installed miniDLNA?

I tried using your libraries and installed them, but I still can’t  install the other necessary libraries to compile miniDLNA.

I’m getting these errors executing:        

apt-get install libid3tag0-dev libexif-dev libjpeg-dev libsqlite3-dev

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libexif-dev: Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed
libid3tag0-dev: Depends: zlib1g-dev but it is not going to be installed
libjpeg62-dev: Depends: libc-dev
libsqlite3-dev: Depends: libsqlite3-0 (= 3.5.9-6) but 3.7.3-1 is to be installed
Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

[deleted for bricking issues]

garanda, Yikes, that  Video bricked my MBL :frowning:

I installed one of the packages in the video which then wanted me to remove some packages and upgrade / downgrade some other ones. after I said yes I soon lost SSH access and Web UI access.  

I  to take my hard drive out and use an unbricking script to get my MBL up and running again.

I accidently just updated my NAS at work attempting to see if smartware was up-to-date (right clicked - highlighed drive *oops* - then pressed update). It’s been at 10% for a while, which I read was normal for it to hang at points. I just hope I don’t have to RMA this drive now or it finishes quick due to the power outage we had yesterday (from a fire 3km from town).

Update: Took about 15 mins ~ and it completed. Seems fine which is good.