New Release - Firmware Version 1.09.10 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (6/5/12)

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

If you experience any issues with this firmware, please report them in the WD TV Live Streaming Issue Reporting exchange.

For questions or sharing your experience, you can post in this thread.

2 Likes

I saw the update and I’m downloading it now, I’ve noticed a lot of new features but in the changelog list there’s nothing about playback issues… I’m going to try it and I really hope that I’ll find nice surprises!

Only looking at the issues I reported.

These issues are solved:

In youtube leanback, remote control BACK button doesn’t work anymore.

In Youtube by WesternDigital, after 1 video has being played, the video preview icons are broken.

These issues are NOT solved:

The vertical distance between two lines of external SRT subtitles is too big.

In video browser list (2 columns). Can’t navigate from columns 1st line, to the previous video. Instead it goes to RED icon on top.

I can confirm that defective playback in some AVIs I signaled on yesterday night ( here) is still an issue and I suppose MKV stutter/judder is still a flaw. :cry:

The name of the new section “Live TV”. In the reverse translation from Russian,

we get something like, “Let him live TV.” This can be corrected?

PS  I think that it should be moved to the services.

Ok, first of all thank you WD for the Youtube fix and the continued support of the SMP.

As far as the other new features are concerned they are awful.
1: Who’s dumb idea was it to create a Live TV section in the main navigation bar? This is a Slingbox app and it should be in the services section. It’s something I’m sure slingbox owners will love, but it’s a niche service that should not be cluttering up the main menu, or at least stick it after services on the navigation bar out of the way.
2: The new Launchpad Flingo app is nothing short of horrific, it’s slow and horrible to navigate, using CrunchyRoll on it was plain awful. The old Flingo setup was far superior and one of my favourite services on the WD has been rendered close to useless.
3: AOL HD, seriously? Who’s idea was that?
4: RedBull TV for me at least isn’t working, I just get a connection timed out error message.
5: Acetrax, a dissapointing selection of overpriced movies. For the cost of two rentals on Acetrax you can have Netflix for a whole month. Crackle or Popcornflix would have made much better additions, oh and their FREE!

3 Likes

In reply to my own complaint. You can get rid of that Live TV menu option by going to into Setup > System > Device security > Parental control > On > Live TV > SlingPlayer - Hide.

The strange thing is that although this hides the Live TV menu option it also hides the Launchpad Flingo service, when you go back into the settings and set Launchpad Fligo to show it has the effect of showing the Live TV menu again.

2 Likes

THANK YOU !

Are we being force fed with advertising to niche produtcs now ?!

• EDIT -

Hiding all GAMEs services, doesn’t hide the GAMES tab.

Also I agree with you, this Slingbox app should be in the services.

WD: PLEASE PUT THIS THING WHERE IT BELONGS !!!

rddrgn wrote:

I can confirm that defective playback in some AVIs I signaled on yesterday night ( here) is still an issue

Hardly surprising considering the firmware was compiled on May 22nd (notice the date in the ZIP-archive).

As the match-framerate-reboot apparently got fixed, I hope the  browsing net-shares was fixed, too. Going to test the new version tonight.

1 Like

Thanks for this great update! Tested almost everything and it all works, great great job! I hope the complaining people will enjoy their device now instead of **bleep** on this forum.

You can add another issue to the list - the BBC iPlayer is still the broken version which chops off the last minute of each and every programme.

schwurbel wrote:> I hope the  browsing net-shares was fixed, too. Going to test the new version tonight.

This is NOT fixed in 1.09.10.

Has playback of VIDEO_TS folders been fixed (video stutter, audio loss)? Up to the previous version, it hadn’t been.

At last, 1.09.10 did the job for me! After months of waiting and using 1.04 I can now play EVERYTHING again with AC3 multi channel sound either wired or wirelessly. Let us hope this mistake won’t be repeated in any future updates. What puzzles me though is that uo to now release notes mention nothing about new fixes in specific. Will this be known in the days to come? It would be great to know why only 1.04 played dolby digital correctly.

Just did a successful update; no problems.

But Flingo seems to have disappeared completely.  I used this more frequently than one might imagine and am sorry to find it gone.  Is this because I am in the UK?

@ Harkaway

Flingo is stil there, its been rebranded as Lauchpad by Flingo, and it’s bloody awful. Slow and a nighmare to navigate.

I loved Flingo for CrunchyRoll and Koldcast and both have been rendered near useless. Whoever was responsible for the awful decison to use this new Launchpad app should be sacked.

The slingbox icon can be easily removed when you modify your WD theme, works perfectly.

1 Like

Dikkiedikdik2 wrote:

Thanks for this great update! Tested almost everything and it all works, great great job! I hope the complaining people will enjoy their device now instead of **bleep** on this forum.

If I got a device that actually worked I wouldn’t complain.  I’m happy that it works for you. It doesn’t for me. Still.  I hope the smug people like you stop whining and go enjoy your device and leave the forum for those of us who need some attention in order to get a device that works as it is advertised.

2 Likes

Just noticed one change with Netflix: Hitting OPTION displays some info in the top-left. It lists the current/total time, the Video format (such as High/SD, X-High/HD, etc…) and the audio setting.

I have to say that after all playing mkv´s trough network it´s not yet flawless.

i´m getting some stuttering, after a while (not always and not on the same time).

This time it will not crash the player.

Now the streaming stops for a few seconds and then it will fast forward to where it should be (if stop for 3 seconds it will FF 3 secs).

This behavior started with the 1.8.x FW, it´s better than old ones, that would crash the player, but not yet perfect.

After almost 7 months i really want my money back :frowning: