New Release - Firmware Version 1.08.17 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (5/7/12)

@Mr-Wolf

It’s from an earlier version, but it works perfect with the new firmware. You can try it without any problems, your wd tv will remember allways the original firmware, you can’t delete it, so you can experiment as much as you like.

I believe there is no update for the moochi theme.

Netflix it’s still blocked in Non Netflix countries? I’m still stuck in firmware 1.05 because of this.

Has anyone tried that? Thanks!

Sigh!

WD claims to have fixed the MKV and Samba issues in this firmware version, but how come my SMP fails to play 1080p MKV’s @24p via Samba, in EXACTLY the same way as before? I see absolutely NO change in playback performance (or lack of performance, to be more precise)!

…and yes, I flashed the device properly and did a reset and all that, like I’ve done a thousand times before.

By the way, all the MKV files I tested, played just fine on the old WDTV Live, over the same network, from the same server.

So, thanks, once again, for wasting my time and my money, and keeping me from watching 1080p movies. 

I’m not even going to ask if WD plans to fix these huge bugs, and when, because it’s not gonna happen. I honestly don’t think they know how to program their hardware. 

By the way, does anyone know how the Boxee handles 1080p@23.98p/24p MKV’s via Samba share? Does it have a working auto-framerate feature, as the one attempted on the SMP?

As you already know, we should report the new issues here: Live Streaming Issues - New Issues

Take a look and if you want the issue reported to be fixed, please vote on them, by pressing the big white up arrow on top left, that says “click here to give kudos to this post”.

Thanks Mr-Wolf.

If this is not in the issue exchange, it needs to be.  That way I can push it over and see what’s going on.

Leverbrus wrote:

By the way, does anyone know how the Boxee handles 1080p@23.98p/24p MKV’s via Samba share? Does it have a working auto-framerate feature, as the one attempted on the SMP?

The WD TV has the best file support of any player on the market (in my humble opinion of course). If your files won’t play on this, than it is extremly doubtful they will work on another player. That being said, this sounds more like an issue with your files than an issue with the player. Try opening a thread including your mediainfo files and someone will see if they can’'t determine the problem. Most likely you are using a codec that is similar enough to a supported one to play, but not close enough that it doesn’t have issues.

Ok, tested everything.

I suddenly couldn’t play .iso and video_ts anymore, before I had never any problems (with other firmwares).

I had “match video framerate” on.

If I put if off everything works perfectly, so no problem. But perhaps something that needs checked out?

Thanks for this great update.

Dikkiedikdik wrote:

Ok, tested everything.

I suddenly couldn’t play .iso and video_ts anymore, before I had never any problems (with other firmwares).

I had “match video framerate” on.

If I put if off everything works perfectly, so no problem. But perhaps something that needs checked out?

Thanks for this great update.

same problem i have

alphabetagaga wrote:

since updating to 1.08.17 if i have ‘match video framerate’ set to ‘on’ the device reboots as soon as i try to play a iso

Can you guys post this in the issue reporting exchange for the SMP?  Make sure to add all the information.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

RobSpook wrote:

From the firmware notes:

* Resolved TV show episode sorting issue after auto Get Content Info.

All my TV shows, which were populated using the get content button, are still sorting like they were in the past.  What exactly was fixed here?  I was actually excited thinking my shows would now appear in numerical order… darn it!!!

• *Use the “TV Show” filter.

Using the tv-show filter removes my movie folder as I have a movie folder and a tvshow folder.

oldman777 wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

For questions or sharing your experience, you can post in this thread.

I upgraded my WD TV live SMP to 1.08.17 and no change,the problem with rear USB port still remains.
When this bug will be fixed?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/SMP-refuses-to-play-1080p-files-from-the-HDD-USB-3-0-connected/idi-p/377519

As I think was said earlier, this could be a hardware problem.  I would contact support like you said you were doing.

alphabetagaga wrote:

since updating to 1.08.17 if i have ‘match video framerate’ set to ‘on’ the device reboots as soon as i try to play a iso

Same here, come on WD. Now we cant watch ISO files?

Are you trying to play the file through media server?  If so, it won’t work.  You have to do it from the external drive or through network shares.

no via the connected wd external drive

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

@RobSpook

Try clearing your metadata (i.e., delete the .wdtv folder in your storage device).

There is a .wdtv folder hidden in every folder on my sharespace. What .wdtv folder should I delete?

@ alphabetagaga

Then I would file this as an Issue if there isn’t one already.

martinboy wrote:

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

@RobSpook

Try clearing your metadata (i.e., delete the .wdtv folder in your storage device).

There is a .wdtv folder hidden in every folder on my sharespace. What .wdtv folder should I delete?

I’d delete them all, and let them rebuild.

martinboy wrote:

alphabetagaga wrote:

Same here, come on WD. Now we cant watch ISO files?

issue raised. please vote here if you experience the same problem

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/match-video-framerate-set-to-on-the-smp-reboots-as-soon-as-i-try/idi-p/402637

1 Like

N3uRo wrote:

Netflix it’s still blocked in Non Netflix countries? I’m still stuck in firmware 1.05 because of this.

Has anyone tried that? Thanks!

Where are you from?

Ardvark wrote:

Leverbrus wrote:

The WD TV has the best file support of any player on the market (in my humble opinion of course). If your files won’t play on this, than it is extremly doubtful they will work on another player. That being said, this sounds more like an issue with your files than an issue with the player. Try opening a thread including your mediainfo files and someone will see if they can’'t determine the problem. Most likely you are using a codec that is similar enough to a supported one to play, but not close enough that it doesn’t have issues.

My files are not the problem. Some of them I made myself. Some of them are downloaded. All of them are h.264/x.264 MKV’s with either ac3 or dts sound. What the tested files do have in common, is the somewhat high bitrate and heavy decoding load. All of the tested files played fine on the old WDTV Live, though. I feel that I have done enough bug reporting for WD. I’m not going to do their job of testing how the unit works with common media files. This farce have been going on for years now, from the 1st gen WDTV to this piece of junk. WD should have gotten it right a long time ago. They didn’t. After this failware release, I doubt that they ever will.