New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

ucevik / azumi:  Ya’ll are confused.    There is no AUTO RESOLUTION feature. 

The WD is NOT supposed to change RESOLUTION with different media.   It’s only changing FRAME RATE.

The major reason for this is that most TV’s don’t support 24 / 25 at resolutions other than 1080p.   Also, the WD’s themselves don’t allow 720p24 and 720p25.

While 720p24 and 720p25 are defined HDMI standards, few TVs will advertise that capability.

It’d be interesting to find someone here that has a TV that DOES advertise that capability in the EDID data to see if the WD is allowing that format.

HOWEVER, it will basically send ANYTHING that’s 24p to 1080p24 because that’s the only resolution that supports 24p.

The fact that your MENU is displayed as 720p is a known issue that I doubt will ever be fixed.

Interface seems to be faster …

But While playing Videos the Sound IS very Glitchy …

Very irritating Firmware …

All i could hear betwee the music video was a sound lik "chuoop chuup cheep "

very Glitchy …

there was no porblem in v1.02.21 or 1.03.49

Remaining bug: In the Mediafly “application”, if you add a channel to the dashboard with an mcode it is not possible to remove that channel again. (If there is some obscure way to do that please PM me)

Oh, and strangely enough, now I suddenly can’t see my Windows7 box anymore. Odd.

iso dvd you see purple and green while the network always jerky vob

Aren’t the purple and green blocks an indication that you’re trying to play CSS-protected content?

None of the .iso’s I’ve played that have had CSS removed have any purple/green issues.

Azumi wrote:

ucevik wrote:

mkv files with 1920x1080 @ 25 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 50 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

mkv files with 1920x1080 @ 30 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 60 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

m2ts files with 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz. Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 60 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

Result: There seems tobe a problem with autoresolution feature. WDTV always selects a correct framerate, but for 1920x1080@25,30, and 60 Hz. cases, the resolution drops to 720p.

I hope this will be corrected in the next release.

Do you have some legal examples “short clips” you can upload to a filehost so we WD Users and Developers can test this?

I have many Videos but non of yours you showed in yellow colour.

Also you need to say whats in the mkv container, is it h264 alltime?

Perhaps you can also do  mediainfo logs for resolution / Codec / audio / Framerate and post them for these three examples :slight_smile:

The files I tested were from bluray rips. So, I am unable to give links. For example, I tested bluray files from BD named “Ambra Bluray experience”, and “Living_Landscapes_Flowers&Gardens”. In addition to those, I tested some HD music clips. I am adding MediaInfo logs of some them for video sections below.

General
ID/String                        : 0
CompleteName                     : I:\Films\Bluray\AMBRA EXPERIENCE\BDMV\STREAM\00006.m2ts
Format                           : BDAV
Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
FileSize/String                  : 1 010 MiB
Duration/String                  : 4mn 1s
OverallBitRate/String            : 35.1 Mbps
OverallBitRate_Maximum/String    : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID/String                        : 4113 (0x1011)
MenuID/String                    : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile                   : High@L4.1
Format_Settings_CABAC/String     : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 4 frames
CodecID                          : 27
Duration/String                  : 4mn 1s
BitRate_Mode/String              : Variable
BitRate_Maximum/String           : 35.0 Mbps
Width/String                     : 1 920 pixels
Height/String                    : 1 080 pixels
DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9
FrameRate/String                 : 25.000 fps
Standard                         : PAL
ColorSpace                       : YUV
ChromaSubsampling                : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String                  : 8 bits
ScanType/String                  : Interlaced
ScanOrder/String                 : Top Field First
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

General
ID/String                        : 0
CompleteName                     : I:\Films\Bluray\Living_Landscapes_Flowers&Gardens\BDMV\STREAM\00001.m2ts
Format                           : BDAV
Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
FileSize/String                  : 11.3 GiB
Duration/String                  : 59mn 29s
OverallBitRate/String            : 27.2 Mbps
OverallBitRate_Maximum/String    : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID/String                        : 4113 (0x1011)
MenuID/String                    : 1 (0x1)
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 4 frames
CodecID                          : 27
Duration/String                  : 59mn 19s
BitRate/String                   : 23.4 Mbps
BitRate_Maximum/String           : 38.0 Mbps
FrameRate/String                 : 29.970 fps
Standard                         : NTSC
ScanType/String                  : Interlaced
ScanOrder/String                 : Bottom Field First
Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.376
StreamSize/String                : 9.69 GiB (86%)
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

General
CompleteName                     : I:\Music_Video\Music\Rihanna - Russian Roulette 1080p.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
FileSize/String                  : 296 MiB
Duration/String                  : 3mn 52s
OverallBitRate/String            : 10.7 Mbps
Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2009-12-08 01:13:13
Encoded_Application              : mkvmerge v2.9.9 (‘Tutu’) built on Nov 25 2009 21:13:32
Encoded_Library/String           : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID/String                        : 1
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 3 frames
CodecID                          : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration/String                  : 3mn 52s
BitRate/String                   : 9 723 Kbps
BitRate_Maximum/String           : 40.0 Mbps
FrameRate/String                 : 29.970 fps
ScanType/String                  : Progressive
Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.156
StreamSize/String                : 269 MiB (91%)
Title                            : Rihanna - Russian Roulette 1080p Rip Arapkadri
Language/String                  : English

So why with the previous firmware did not do it? iso are created with dvdfaband  these folders from already ripped with  AnyDVD

There is definately a problem with sound output via optical with this new firmware. Mkv files play ok but mpeg, avi and mp4 files play without sound. i have tried both settings for digital passthrough and optical only and have had to revert back to previous firmware

TonyPh12345 wrote:

ucevik / azumi:  Ya’ll are confused.    There is no AUTO RESOLUTION feature. 

The WD is NOT supposed to change RESOLUTION with different media.   It’s only changing FRAME RATE.

Thx Tony for explaing the technical Background a bit more deatailled.

I made re-tests with like 20 Promotional Musicvideos different Sources PAL / NTSC ( MKV H264 , Xvid , Vob ) with different Resolutions and the Video / Audioskipping at the beginnings really only seems to appear if Framerate is changed for example from 50 Hz to 24HZ , 60Hz and so on.

My thought a switch of resolution might affect the 3 to 5 seconds Video / Audio Skipping seems to be wrong then.

sharpyboy wrote:

There is definately a problem with sound output via optical with this new firmware. Mkv files play ok but mpeg, avi and mp4 files play without sound. i have tried both settings for digital passthrough and optical only and have had to revert back to previous firmware

Is your Problem with the WD Live connected over HDMI and then TOSLINK TV Output to AV Receiver or directly Toslink cabled from the WD Live to the AV Receiver ?

My Situation atm is:

• WDLive connected over HDMI to my TV, then Toslink TV Output to my AV Receiver works,  but  “ONLY”  if i remove the Toslink cable rubber covers.

- WD Live directly connected via Toslink has no more Audio since 1.4.22 even without rubber covers.

If i switchback to 1.4.17 both ways work again like a charm.

Updated this afternoon. works fine so far.

I got two problems that I also had in 1.04.17.

1. jpg files still shows when selecting video (network). Why is that so hard to fix ? Would like to get the thumbnail problem fixed when using network shares.

2. Mkv files, via network, wont stop playing when pressing stop. Blue circle appears and only solutions is pressing power button. Im using a NAS-110 BlackArmor and i think WD wrote in an earlier post in this forum that they would look into that problem.

Hope that you’ll concider fixing these issues.

Best Regards.

Pretzmann, Denmark.

SoNic wrote:

rostron wrote:

Also , 96khz is displayed as 48khz on my Sony 2400ES AV amp.

The device is downsamplig on the optical port everything to 44.1 or 48kHz (88.1 and 176.2 to 44.1 and the 96/192 to 48) since the begining of those firmwares.

This was fixed in the Live Hub firmware, but I just verified that this fix is not working in the Live/Live Plus firmware.

Ok boards…

• try to use logitech wireless keyboard unifying K340 without success

• confirmed : fade in/out don’t work anymore

updated from 1.02.21

mthx & regards

The only navigation you can do on the page is to move back and forth at the top between “C” (or “F”) and “Change Location”.

If the “C” (or “F”) is selected when you press “Enter”, you will change the reporting units between Celcius and Farenheit (and kilometers/miles for winds, etc…).

If the “Change Location” is selected when you press “Enter”, then a screen will come up with the on-screen keyboard where you can type a new location.

If you are located anywhere but the U.S. you will have to type the name of your city out in full in order to have it find what you’re looking for (i.e. “toron” will find places in the U.S. that start with that, but it won’t find Toronto Ontario… you’d have to type “toronto” to get the Ontario location added to the results list).

RoofingGuy wrote:

The only navigation you can do on the page is to move back and forth at the top between “C” (or “F”) and “Change Location”.

If the “C” (or “F”) is selected when you press “Enter”, you will change the reporting units between Celcius and Farenheit (and kilometers/miles for winds, etc…).

If the “Change Location” is selected when you press “Enter”, then a screen will come up with the on-screen keyboard where you can type a new location.

If you are located anywhere but the U.S. you will have to type the name of your city out in full in order to have it find what you’re looking for (i.e. “toron” will find places in the U.S. that start with that, but it won’t find Toronto Ontario… you’d have to type “toronto” to get the Ontario location added to the results list).

thank you Sir … but I’ve already changed my prev message because I’ve found the “trick” … only I’vent seen that when I pressing the arrows the color of menu changed

regards

Just posting to say thanks for the new auto framerate option, a real musthave!!

A real nice treat for this, compared to other HD Player devices, actively supported player.

A lot of ‘garbage’ is sometimes passed by but WD is doing a good yob supporting these relatively ‘cheap’ devices.

Please read other boards from other manufacturers and know that WD is one of the better actively supporting companies in this HD Player market.

Thanks Guy_K  for the answer on 96khz downsampling…I thought I was going bonkers!!!

Do you know if it will be fixed in future firmware release or is there a hardware restriction on the Sigma Chip?

regards

rostron wrote:

Thanks Guy_K  for the answer on 96khz downsampling…I thought I was going bonkers!!!

Do you know if it will be fixed in future firmware release or is there a hardware restriction on the Sigma Chip?

regards

It’s not a hardware restriction, just a firmware bug. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon. As always, I can’t say when or if it’ll be fixed.

Thanks Guy_K…thats good news(not a hardware restriction)…I hope the fix will come soon.

I will not abandon my hope that I will be able to download some good high res audio.

cheers