New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

With each FW update I always hope to see a way of adding a network share in the Video root directory.

For someone used to using XBMC it’s a bit of a pain to click on several folders just to see my shared video folders.

I thought PlayOn might make it easier, but I find it’s even more clicking when going through that.

Also, a way of skipping ahead in 30 second chunks would be ideal. Even 16x fast forwarding is extremely slow on

a 1080p file. Maybe it’s because it’s maxing out the power of the WD Live. I don’t know.

Guy_K wrote:

It’s not a hardware restriction, just a firmware bug. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon. As always, I can’t say when or if it’ll be fixed.

Thanks! As far as I know, it is the first time somebody from WD team answers to this issue!

With this FW appeared another issue, don’t know why, I cannot see more than 30 files/subfolders in the root folder that I have my music - folder is called “My Music” and is a Win7 share. In the subfolders I can see more than 30 files…

Does anybody have the same experience?

I’m having and issue, with this new firmware:

Before I installed the new version I did a full reset of the unit (and one after I installed it), so I had to redo the basic setup all over, (I always choose all the video options to auto)

But now, all my videos are being send to the TV in 1080p (even if they are at 720p or less), I realize this because my TV shows the resolution when I press the “info” button on the TV remote

In the previous firmware the resolution was the one that the video it was playing, in this case it is always 1080p

Any ideas?

Jack

Has anyone tried Playon with this firmware?

jmordoj wrote:

In the previous firmware the resolution was the one that the video it was playing, in this case it is always 1080p

Any ideas?

NO firmware from WD has ever set the resolution automatically based on the video content.  You either manually set a resolution you’d like, (which it tended to forget when you shut it off), or you set it to “Auto” which leaves the TV to try to negotiate the highest resolution the TV is capable of playing.

So, either you have set your resolution to 1080, or your TV is negotiating it for you.

If you don’t want 720 material upscaled to 1080, you’re going to have to set the resolution you want manually, and not rely on “Auto” where your TV will always choose 1080.

… or, you could use 3rd party firmware with the “autores” plug-in.

RoofingGuy wrote:

NO firmware from WD has ever set the resolution automatically based on the video content.  You either manually set a resolution you’d like, (which it tended to forget when you shut it off), or you set it to “Auto” which leaves the TV to try to negotiate the highest resolution the TV is capable of playing.

So, either you have set your resolution to 1080, or your TV is negotiating it for you.

If you don’t want 720 material upscaled to 1080, you’re going to have to set the resolution you want manually, and not rely on “Auto” where your TV will always choose 1080.

… or, you could use 3rd party firmware with the “autores” plug-in.

I’M sorry but I have to disagree with you.

My WDTV Live always changed the resolution to the video it was showing, I could tell that because a warning appeared on the corner of the screen every time the screen changed resolution, so I was always aware of the resolution it was using.

I don’t know why our experiences differ, but I assure you mine did change resolutions.

Jack

You are imagining things…:wink: … RG is correct. NONE of the WD players changed resolution with media type.

Is there any difference between this release and the beta release that was out a few days ago. the file names are same

Nope.  If there was the slightest difference, the final number would have changed.

Apparently the limited Beta release seemed stable enough for mass consumption, while they continue to plod along with remaining issues.

1 Like

jmordoj wrote:

I don’t know why our experiences differ, but I assure you mine did change resolutions.

Jack

I am sure you did install a “hacked” firmware (I don’t know if is ok to say the name here) and you forgot about it. That firmware was the only one changing the resolution - and also did turn off the bright blue LED when watching a movie.

Upgraded to the latest version and as always, no problems for me and everything works fine. However, I’d like you to focus on improving movie navigation. The other day I was watching a movie and at about one hour and half I accidentally pushed the RWD button on the remote control. The result: the movie started again from zero and to get to the previous point I had to leave it fast-forwarding for a loooooooooong time, which in turn ended up hanging the player. It broke the whole experience. Please listen to the #2 top voted idea. We all want this done. Thanks.

Hi here, I don’t know if I’m lucky, but since the fw 1.02.21 this release seems to work correctly.

Assume that all my network is wireless 802.11n. So I can read WITHOUT claimed stuttering on VOB files via network shares. I’ve a BlackArmor 110, an “old” MyBookWorld and all media run correctly. I need to tell that I’vent TV HD1080/HT Amplifiers … but an old analogic TV so I’vent HD mediafile too, and for my use run like a charme.

regards …

but … PLEASE SUPPORT USB HUBS !!! mthx

Hi all,

TuniIn is really great.

My experience with the new firmware is great and all I need works fine.

Only one thing to note, the portuguese (Portugal not Brazil) translation for TuneIn is really bad (half of it is in brazilian portuguese… not the same as portuguese from Portugal) and some other translations that are not good (search list in Youtube is in cirylic (russian or something) and 8/12 bit (bit shouldn’t be translated)

Thanks for all the good work.

Has anyone tested mkv with VORBIS audio?

I’ve upgraded my device to 1.04.22_V beta before. Now that I’m trying to install the final 1.04.22_V, upgrade prompt does not appear in my Home menu, neither Options menu. What is the problem? Is it the same version? If so, does final version, differ from beta version?

Hi,

Read the messages first…

This is the same version, so you don’t have to upgrade.

Regards

Just upgraded to the latest Firmware which my WD HD TV Live Box found last night and it’s great to see the folder icons on folder thumbnails have been fixed, so the icon is now back in the lower right corner. That was an incredible annoyance!

So far so good for me.

I’ve found this wifi keybord … http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=16816 nobody tried or know if work ?

mthx & regards

maxeemo wrote:

I’ve upgraded my device to 1.04.22_V beta before. Now that I’m trying to install the final 1.04.22_V, upgrade prompt does not appear in my Home menu, neither Options menu. What is the problem? Is it the same version? If so, does final version, differ from beta version?

Hi maxeemo, a part that the fw is the same or not, for every “downgrade” “upgrade with the same release number” you need to edit the wdtvlive.ver included in the build. these info are widely explained aroud here (don’t be lazy and search).

good luck & regards

Works great after hard reset & powerplug removal. How about DTS-HD Master Audio support??? DD-True HD works fine but not DTS-HD Master Audio. My receiver supports DTS-HD Master Audio & Dolby Digital True-HD, so what’s wrong? Any settings I’ve missed? Anyone got an idea? Sorry for my bad English, I’m Swedish. /Fenka