New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

I can confirm the Fade in/Fade out is still broken too.

Dear Developers

Please do not forget:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Limited-Public-Beta-Firmware-Version-1-04-22-V-3-3-11/m-p/148884#M9747

Wow this is great to see support for Tune in radio application.  I was though dissapointed that it doesnt play the Windows Media Professional codec as used on Radio MPB Maquina do Tempo (brazil station) that is my wife’s favourite.  Hope that can be addressed in a minor future update :-)   Otherwise its great to see new features being added to the player!  

All other video playback and audio performance perfect for me. 

Now maybe Airplay support if Apple ever releases the secrets! 

Thanks so much,

SImon

latency wrote:

Just updated today and Optical Audio no longer works. I am using an external DAC (Emotiva XDA-1) and it’s always worked up until this update. I noticed HDMI audio works on the TV speakers (normally disabled) but I would love Optical Stereo to work so I can use my 2-channel audiophile reference system again. Please let me know if this will be fixed. Thanks!!!

-Joe

EDIT: I only hear .5 seconds of audio when using optical and then it just cuts out. HDMI works consistently but my DAC does not support HDMI, only optical. And to be honest, I really really wanna disable my TV speakers so I can use my sound system again. I would roll back but this firmware but it fixes so many other issues I had prior. Please WD, make the audio work again! Thanks!

My audio system:

WDTV Live! > Optical Out via Emotiva Reference Toslink Cable > Emotiva XDA-1 DAC (supports 24Bit/192kHz) > Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblock Amp (2) > Vandersteen 2CE Sig II Speakers

My video system:

WDTV Live! > HDMI Out > Panasonic 50" G25 THX (with internal Sspeakers normally disabled)

Is your Toslink cable ends still having the rubber cover on or have you taken them off to fit better into the toslink plugs? I am no way technician but perhaps something was changed in the optical connection that causes the problems if your toslink either uses the rubber cover hats on.

I had the same issue and i put those off and then it worked again like it did before.

Some may laugh now and say helo that hats must be taken off entirely alltime because its just a protection… but i really didnt know. My TV and Receivers plugged that cable even with that rubber / plastic cover easily.

I first though t a rollback to 1.1x Firmware helped me to get toslink back again but i really think it was the light signal which caused that.

Crazy is with the cover on all my other hdmi Hardwares works perfect with toslink Audio as it works perfect with all wd firmwares other then 1.4.22.

Mine cables look like thisand the end is that rubber covers

I appreciate it but I don’t have the covers on. lol. I can see that being a good suggestion tho. The setup has been working flawless with the WDTV since date of purchase (Summer’10). Today’s firmware update broke it. Only HDMI audio works now… for my setup anyways…can’t speak for anyone else.

EDIT: Tried multiple Toslink cables, all have the same issue. My PS3 toslink is working fine in my DAC. WD did something to the toslink output with this update. Maybe it only affects certain rigs. Mine is broke and that’s all I know.

Bug with option menu still there.

Watch movie (xvid for example and sound in mpeg or something else)  press option, on first icon that allow switch audio channels, it show:

No audio channel

After moving on another icon and back to this - now it show correct info.

It looks like info for this menu doesn’t update at menu call, only after moving in this menu.

Same bug appear incase of zoom icon, when watching some lots of movies one by one (after pressing play on first). On first movie choose zoom 0.9, when player goes to second movies, press option and you will see zoom 0.9, but actualy zoom will be 1x. Movings to another icon and back allow it show correct info.

Had problems with stuttering on mkv files using 1.04.22_V…

Restored 1.04.17 and problems went away.

I am having trouble playing a VIDEO_TS movie. It will play, but with long pauses… Anyone has a solution?

viditor wrote:

Had problems with stuttering on mkv files using 1.04.22_V…

Restored 1.04.17 and problems went away.

Hi viditor what means ? the stuttering issue was in 1.04.17 too … read back topics about

regards

…finaly another update! Thank you!

But please STOP including new features as long as elementary functions are not working!!!

• VOB playback (you know about it)

• MTS/M2TS-playback is completely buggy. No chance to play back without stuttering/soundproblems.

And when you fixed these problems: please add a better skip/ff/-function for MKV/xvid/MTS-playback

I wrote the below message for the beta thread. Since this offical is the same as the beta, could some other people confirm the bug (?) given in the message?

My WDTV Live is connected to an LG LH4000 LCD tv through an HDMI cable. I tested the new Beta with many MKV and m2ts files with various resolution and frame rates. Autoresolution feature seems to be choosing the correct framerate. But this is not the case when choosing the resolution. In my setup, the resolution is at auto with autoresolution is enabled. The followings are the results:

menu is shown at 720p

mkv files with 1920x1080 @ 23.976 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 1080p @ 24 Hz.  o.k

mkv files with 1280x720 @ 23.976 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 24 Hz.  o.k

mkv files with 1280x720 @ 25 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 50 Hz.  o.k

mkv files with 1920x1080 @ 25 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 50 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

mkv files with 1920x1080 @ 30 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 60 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

m2ts files with 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz. Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 60 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

EDIT: m2ts files with 1920x1080 @ 24 Hz. Screen resolution on the TV: 1080p @ 24 Hz o.k

Result: There seems tobe a problem with autoresolution feature. WDTV always selects a correct framerate, but for 1920x1080@25,30, and 60 Hz. cases, the resolution drops to 720p.

I hope this will be corrected in the next release.

How are mkv with vorbis or ogg audio? Read in the beta thread they still screech.

ucevik wrote:

mkv files with 1920x1080 @ 25 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 50 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

mkv files with 1920x1080 @ 30 Hz.   Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 60 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

m2ts files with 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz. Screen resolution on the TV: 720p @ 60 Hz (incorrect resolution, correct framerate)

Result: There seems tobe a problem with autoresolution feature. WDTV always selects a correct framerate, but for 1920x1080@25,30, and 60 Hz. cases, the resolution drops to 720p.

I hope this will be corrected in the next release.

Do you have some legal examples “short clips” you can upload to a filehost so we WD Users and Developers can test this?

I have many Videos but non of yours you showed in yellow colour.

Also you need to say whats in the mkv container, is it h264 alltime?

Perhaps you can also do  mediainfo logs for resolution / Codec / audio / Framerate and post them for these three examples :slight_smile:

HD WMV Forwarding Issues with Files having this Specs :

All such WMV Media is unable to be fas forwarded or skipped for 10 minutes ( pressing forward then skip ).

If you do this no matter if 2x or 4x forwarding the entire file stops after you press play again and you are guided to the main Folder again. They do also stutter very much which they do not on the PC.

Overall bit rate mode            : Constant
Overall bit rate                 : 3 157 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate         : 3 173 Kbps
SfOriginalFPS                    : 300000

Video
ID                               : 2
Format                           : VC-1
Format profile                   : MP@HL
Codec ID                         : WMV3
Codec ID/Info                    : Windows Media Video 9
Codec ID/Hint                    : WMV3
Description of the codec         : Windows Media Video 9 - Professional
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 3 050 Kbps
Width                            : 1 000 pixels
Height                           : 564 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.180
NumberOfFrames                   : 20663

Audio
ID                               : 1
Format                           : WMA
Format version                   : Version 2
Codec ID                         : 161
Codec ID/Info                    : Windows Media Audio
Description of the codec         : Windows Media Audio 9.2 -  96 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (A/V) 1-pass CBR
Duration                         : 11mn 29s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 7.89 MiB (3%)
Language                         : English (US)

As reported in the Beta posts…

I cannot get AC3 to play through HDMI…

Optical is fine.

Also , 96khz is displayed as 48khz on my Sony 2400ES AV amp.

Other posters have similar issues.

How ca I resolve these problems?

rostron wrote:

Also , 96khz is displayed as 48khz on my Sony 2400ES AV amp.

The device is downsamplig on the optical port everything to 44.1 or 48kHz (88.1 and 176.2 to 44.1 and the 96/192 to 48) since the begining of those firmwares.

I have just done some more checks with ITRAX test files…

HDMI     stereo mp3 OK

stereo wav   OK

stereo flac    OK

stereo ac3    OK

5.1  ac3   will not play        

any WMA  will not play

OPT       all OK except WMA stereo and 5.1

I am sure my AV amp is set up OK.

rostron wrote:

OPT       all OK except WMA stereo and 5.1

I am sure my AV amp is set up OK.

Is your AV receiver capable of decoding WMA files???

please, somebody can list the wireless Keyboard compatible and tested with WD TV live ?

MTHX in advance

P.S. preferibly bluetooth, coz I’ve already a Logitech K340 unifying 2.4 Ghz … but my PC desktop too use this receiver, so I can’t use both PC and WD toghether …

P.P.S.

I’ve

• MyBook USB

• D-LINK Wireless WI-Fi key

I need to use a USB hub powered in case to plug keyboard receiver ?