Network complications with My Book World firmware 1.02.10

Same problem here. After firmware upgrade 1.02.10 the MBWEII disappers from the network. Then I have to turn it off and on and it works for a few hours.

I have been using the unit for one year always connected to power and network and everything worked perfectly. No changes have been made to the net. The only thing I did was to upgrade firmware.

Please help me and the other user or tell us how to downgrade.

Thank you.

WD, you need to fix this.  I have 2 Mybooks, backing up boths PC’s and 1 MAC.  I can get either of them to stay conencted for more than an hour (to anything)!  I have tried all the suggestions but they always drop.  I have had these both over a year and have never had them drop…EVER!!!  Can we get a firmware patch that boths allows Time Machine Backups AND stays connected to the network???  Also, when they are connected, they are so slow.  I am almost ready to take a hammer to both of them and go out and purchase something from another company.  This is NO way to run a company.

1 Like

Another unhappy customer, can’t believe the QA department didn’t catch this!

Support ticket raised.

1 Like

I’ve solved the problem myself… Getting full refund on both of my drives and no more WD for me again…!

1 Like

did you find a real solution or is the solution to just return the drive and get a new one from a different company?  Can’t blame you for the return.  Wish I could do the same…

HAving 1.2TB of data, over 1 year, I;d eed to break open the device to retrieve the content. Not somthing I’d want to do…

Please hurry with a new update (simply take the previous firmware and updates its version and re-release)

Well, my drive fell off the network again. So, the setting of the NTP (date and time server) to disabled and manually setting the date and time did not solve the problem. I’m still dropping off the network.

I notice that WD staff are no longer posting comments on this forum. No matter how much we complain. But, I do notice they are on here “moderating” by changing our posts! Before when we were waiting for this patch to be released, at lest they were on here giving us some information on when it will be released and what is going on. Now, NOTHING!!!

[Deleted]

1 Like

Could at least someone from the WD Team show some activity in this thread? I feel left out…

Agreed!  Come on guys you must have half an idea about how long this will take.  What’s the matter, your Social Media listening turned off?

If this keeps up any longer your top hit on google is going to be the above "[Deleted]

If I were you guys I’d start addressing some concerns [Deleted] fast!

1 Like

Trying to recover my wedding photos now before I have to explain to a crying wife why I lost them all. 

Fortunately the main ones are backed up to CD, but all the ones we took of each other are still on the drive along with all of our holiday photos from the last 8 years. 

1 Like

Is there any point to reporting the WD support about my particular problem?    There are probably hundreds of users affected – I don’t feel like wasting time to open a bug and not getting any useful help.

Anyway, I too  amhaving simialr issues with the 1.2.10 upgrade.   Based on advices from other threads, I found disabling some services extends the uptime from a couple of hours to a couple of days (see below).  Looks to me there are some underlying issues similar to memory leak or something like that that get exacerbated the more use/services you have running the the unit.

When the unit became unreachable, the ‘Cylon’ LED on the front panel kepts moving back and forth and the unit feels warm and the HD seems to be spinning.   That tells me some processes has gone bunker on the unit – it still hums away and consumes power – but its communication with clients is broken.

I have disabled Twonky and Mionet services since I don’t use them.   I made these scripts ‘not execuable’ :

chmod 644 /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver

chmod 644 /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet

Someday when pig flies and you want to re-enable them, run the same commands but replace 644 with 755.

I use my MWD primarily for macbook pro TimeMachine backup and watching movies I store on the unit.  For now, I have to reboot MWD every 1 to 2 days.   What a pain.  Before 1.2.10 firmware upgrade, I probably have to reboot it no more than 1 or 2 months (or more).

2 Likes

Bill_S

I registeredd this issue with ‘Western Digital Support’ via email and have still had no response, WD have essentially bricked my NAS with this worse than useless firmware upgrade.

I cannot believe a company can get away with this sort of behaviour, WDC need to release a fix NOW

2 Likes

I found a solution on a nother post located here.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/DO-NOT-UPDATE-1-02-10-FIRMWARE/td-p/257090/highlight/true/page/4

If youve flashed your WD MyBookWorld to the new release of the firmware (version 01.02.10), the unit

will not allow you to reflash with a version that is earlier as it checks if the release that is current

is the latest by its number.
Bellow is the method I used to get the unit to accept the earlier firmware. I cant be responsible if

anything goes wrong but can only tell you that it has worked on my unit. The flash file I used was from

a link to “wdhxnc-01.02.05.img” mentioned in an earlier thread from

You will need Putty.exe , download it from http://www.putty.org/

Logon to your WD MyBookWorld via your internet browser
Click on Advanced Mode
Select the system Tab
Click on Advanced
make sure that SSH Access is checked then click on Submit

connect via PUTTY to the MybookWorld (port 22)
login as root
password : welc0me    (0 is a zero)

issue the commands:

mv /etc/version /etc/version.ori

echo 01.00.14>/etc/version

exit

Logon in to your WD MyBookWorld via your internet browser
Click on Advanced Mode
Select the Update Tab
click on Manual
Browse to the Firmware file and then click on Submit

This will flash the unit to the firmware version of your file.

Hope this helps.

Link to 1.02.06 Firmware

http://fileape.com/dl/qV1KrY7tOYHGt174

I used those steps On Friday and my drive has had 100% uptime since. It really only takes a few minutes. If you are initially unable to connect to your MB, before you power cycle the device, try just disconnecting the Network Cable and then reconnecting it. That’s what I did to make it come back alive long enough to perform the steps.

willdrama wrote:

Link to 1.02.06 Firmware

Note to others, just make sure you rename the file to wdhxnc-01.02.06.img

I just wanted to add something, since i never write on forums, boards etc for one simple reason i don’t have the time. This really is an exception!!

I am deeply disappointed by the level of customer service and relations for WD and also reading the responses from “Bill” and several other posters on the forum who are clearly employees of WD

The new os for mac came out several months ago to consumers the masters for developers where released months before that, but mac WD customers have been subject to non existent service. a firmware update that bricks only a few drives is great?? it is if you are looking to upgrade or purchase a product from another manufacture?? I for one will not be recommending or buying another WD product, considering I purchased my MBWE only 6 months ago it will no doubt end up very shortly in the bin as i can not afford to wait for working firmware and i can not trust WD to deliver a working product that meets my needs.

Thats my little rant over with as i doubt it will make no difference and tbh i doubt if WD really care, but there is one i know i will never approve nor recommend a WD product.

1 Like

willdrama wrote:

I found a solution on a nother post located here.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/DO-NOT-UPDATE-1-02-10-FIRMWARE/td-p/257090/highlight/true/page/4

If youve flashed your WD MyBookWorld to the new release of the firmware (version 01.02.10), the unit

will not allow you to reflash with a version that is earlier as it checks if the release that is current

is the latest by its number.
Bellow is the method I used to get the unit to accept the earlier firmware. I cant be responsible if

anything goes wrong but can only tell you that it has worked on my unit. The flash file I used was from

a link to “wdhxnc-01.02.05.img” mentioned in an earlier thread from

Hotfile.com/dl/85893845/2d834ff/wdhxnc-01.02.05.img.html

You will need Putty.exe , download it from http://www.putty.org/

Logon to your WD MyBookWorld via your internet browser
Click on Advanced Mode
Select the system Tab
Click on Advanced
make sure that SSH Access is checked then click on Submit

connect via PUTTY to the MybookWorld (port 22)
login as root
password : welc0me    (0 is a zero)

issue the commands:

mv /etc/version /etc/version.ori

echo 01.00.14>/etc/version

exit

Logon in to your WD MyBookWorld via your internet browser
Click on Advanced Mode
Select the Update Tab
click on Manual
Browse to the Firmware file and then click on Submit

This will flash the unit to the firmware version of your file.

Hope this helps.

Link to 1.02.06 Firmware

Understand that doing this will not completely downgrade the firmware and you risk “bricking” your device.

I wanted to give everyone an update on this issue.

• We have reproduced this failure
  • We have identified the root cause (it is completely unrelated to AFPd and any of the built in services)
  • We do have a fix for this issue which we have been testing over the weekend and have been very successful. 
  • While I do not have an ETA, I can give some SSH commands to some of the users I have been working with in PM to test this fix.

I will post here once I have more information.

4 Likes

Toretto wrote:

Understand that doing this will not completely downgrade the firmware and you risk “bricking” your device.

Agreed! As I tested this downgrade / upgrade thing more than 10 times now with no success fixing the 1.02.10 mess, I can confirm that it did not downgrade everything to 1.02.06.

Toretto wrote:

While I do not have an ETA, I can give some SSH commands to some of the users I have been working with in PM to test this fix.

Could you PM me pretty please too? I promise I won’t share. :stuck_out_tongue: