Network complications with My Book World firmware 1.02.10

Toretto wrote:

I wanted to give everyone an update on this issue.

• We have reproduced this failure

Kudos to this post! It’s been 3 hours and counting … no more complain from MBWE owners! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good job Torretto :wink:

Toretto wrote:

I wanted to give everyone an update on this issue.

• We have reproduced this failure
  • We have identified the root cause (it is completely unrelated to AFPd and any of the built in services)
  • We do have a fix for this issue which we have been testing over the weekend and have been very successful. 
  • While I do not have an ETA, I can give some SSH commands to some of the users I have been working with in PM to test this fix.

I will post here once I have more information.

Not working for me.

Has anyone had success with Torretto’s fix?

HEy, not that I’ve been involved with teh testing. But I disable twonky and that other thing last night and my drive was still available this morning :slight_smile: It usually only lasted 1-2 hours after reboot.

Glad to hear a fix has been identified, can’t wait for the proper fix :slight_smile:

I’m really happy to see, that you guys now talk to us again. I know you cant do miracles and everything takes its time, but at least share your progress with us. Having 2 MBWE at home is really hard right now :>

I hope you’ll have the fix ready soon.

Hello,

how to get this fix? I can’t send an MP to Toretto

Thanks, Pascal

monoskier wrote:

Torretto did not supply a fix. He simply quoted a fix someone else proposed, and was warning about trying to re-apply an earlier firmware over the current. 

stevehmiller wrote:

monoskier wrote:

Torretto did not supply a fix. He simply quoted a fix someone else proposed, and was warning about trying to re-apply an earlier firmware over the current. 

You are correct somewhat.  I did not supply a fix because I wanted to work with the individuals that I was already familiar with.  I am not sure where I quoted a fix someone else proposed, however, I did PM a few users with a solution that we developed internally over the weekend.  I did PM this to monoskier, which is what he is referring to.

Hi everyone.

I am an Italian owner of a mybook world II. I updated to the latest firmware last saturday… and, as many other people, now I have a machine that does not work, am angry and disappointed!!!

But the worst thing, after having spent money in a machine that now could be broken, is that … WD knows that the firmware has problem since… when? last week? Thursday? then, as so many people continue having serious problems: why keeping that **bleep** firmware in the site??? It’s still here, ready for everyone to use it! http://wdc-it.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/4229# (Italian site). I think this is not serious.

I’ve already contacted the customer support and I hope I will have some helping reply… but, reading this topic, I have few hope.

If we have to wait for a solution, let’s wait, IF it will be found. But please, at least keep that **bleep** firmware away from the site! didn’t it make enough damage???

So:

replicating the fault means they turned on their drives after updating the firmware and found out that they did not work.

developing a fix over the weekend means reading the forum and trying what has been suggested on here.

not being able to provide an ETA means “guys we have no flipping clue”.

I am under the impression that we are at the starting point (actually even worse since the drives do not work with windows either) and there is no hope to get a working firmware in the near future. I would be very happy to be proven wrong (and willing to apologise for the lack of faith, but I suspect that the guys at WD will not take up the challenge).

Kel78 wrote:

Hi everyone.

I am an Italian owner of a mybook world II. I updated to the latest firmware last saturday… and, as many other people, now I have a machine that does not work, am angry and disappointed!!!

But the worst thing, after having spent money in a machine that now could be broken, is that … WD knows that the firmware has problem since… when? last week? Thursday? then, as so many people continue having serious problems: why keeping that **bleep** firmware in the site??? It’s still here, ready for everyone to use it! http://wdc-it.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/4229# (Italian site). I think this is not serious.

I’ve already contacted the customer support and I hope I will have some helping reply… but, reading this topic, I have few hope.

If we have to wait for a solution, let’s wait, IF it will be found. But please, at least keep that **bleep** firmware away from the site! didn’t it make enough damage???

We have had over 8000 units update to the firmware as of this morning, and a very small percentage have reported this problem.  We believe we have this issue fixed and will have a release soon.

Device has failed again… :frowning: Please release the fix ASAP!

I have reset my device 5 times in the past 20mins and still unable to connect!

RE: “only a small percentage having a problem.”  I think you err in assuming you know of all the problems.  I’m having the same issue, but looked at this thread and assumed an additional report of an obvious, serious problem was unnecessary and possibly counter productive.

I had been somewhat supportive and understanding of WD’s efforts – until I read this [deleted] comment.  Now, I fear you just don’t get it.

I too am having and have been having these problems since my upgrde to Lion. Honestly this is an irritation more than anything as I trust the people at WD are doing their bit and Apple have done theirs to lock us all into their products.

I have logged my issue as I think WD need to see the true scale and not just those who are enthusiastic enough to get aggitated.

I am looking forward to getting the update and enjoying my product, which to date has been OK.

Thanks all.

Pepster wrote:

RE: “only a small percentage having a problem.”  I think you err in assuming you know of all the problems.  I’m having the same issue, but looked at this thread and assumed an additional report of an obvious, serious problem was unnecessary and possibly counter productive.

I had been somewhat supportive and understanding of WD’s efforts – until I read this [deleted] comment.  Now, I fear you just don’t get it.

Pepster, we do get it and we are not discounting the problem at all.  Nor, was Toretto’s comment intended to diminish the issue.  He was just trying to apply some perspective.  Be confident that we are working on a resolution, and not just excusing our way out of this. 

I have the same troubles. After 1-2 hours the devise stop to be recognize in the my home network. I can see the following messages in the system log:

09/20 22:05:23  WhiteBox daemon.warn wixEvent[3520]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is down.
09/20 22:05:23  WhiteBox daemon.info wixEvent[3520]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is up 10 Mbps full duplex.
09/20 22:05:18  WhiteBox daemon.warn wixEvent[3520]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is down.
09/20 22:05:17  WhiteBox daemon.info wixEvent[3520]: Network IP Address - NIC 1 use static IP address 192.168.1.7
09/20 22:05:17  WhiteBox daemon.info wixEvent[3520]: Network IP Address - NIC 1 use static IP address 192.168.1.7
09/20 22:05:17  WhiteBox daemon.info wixEvent[3520]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is up 100 Mbps full duplex.
09/20 22:05:14  WhiteBox daemon.warn wixEvent[3520]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is down.
09/20 22:05:13  WhiteBox daemon.info wixEvent[3520]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is up 10 Mbps full duplex.

I turned off MioNet, sleep mode, change DHCP to static, change NTP server mode. Nothing help me.  Are thera a way to downgrade the firmware?

Toretto wrote:

We have had over 8000 units update to the firmware as of this morning, and a very small percentage have reported this problem.  We believe we have this issue fixed and will have a release soon.

Now that’s just naive and provocative. I was going to let WD have a couple of weeks to fix this, and stay without my data in the meanwhile, but this shows that you really don’t see the scope and seriousness of the problems we have all been having.

The fact hat only a small percentage have reported issues is probably to give you some time to fix it, rather than giving us tips that do not solve the real problem. I would be surprised if the percentage that report having a working box after the upgrade is any larger than the people that have complained. And then, the other 7000+ users are on their way to the store to get a different branded box. I am about to, because I can’t really see how I am going to install the upgrade that is promised to come, when I can’t communicate with the unit.

Yes we do know how serious this is, and we are working on it.  And it’s because of these threads.  We need our users to let us know about these issues.  Many of you that are posting right now have not posted before.  How can we know if you are not posting.  So, thank you.  

Add me to the list. Have never registered for or posted to an online forum, but so annoyed by this I did so. Of the 8000 or or so people who have updated most are probably like me and just waiting for a solution. School holidays in Australia and with 1tb of kids movies on a bricked nas, I’m not currently a WD fan.