Network complications with My Book World firmware 1.02.10

This morning the drive connected as normal for the first time since the firmware upgrade.  Twonky is enabled but I removed the nice commands from both the /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver and /etc/init.d/S90smbd files.

Here’s what I did (from jdz2k, LarsMaschke Bourne and others):

1. SSH into the drive 
    On a Mac, open Terminal and type: ssh root@xxx.xxx.x.xxx where xxx.xxx.x.xxx is the drive’s IP address.
    Password = welc0me
    On a PC use Putty instead of Terminal
    If you can’t SSH into the drive, from the drive’s web interface enable SSH through Advanced | System Tab | Advanced
  2. vi /etc/init.d/S90smbd
     Now do the follwing commands in this text editor:
  3. /nice
  4. Remove "nice -n -20" from “nice -n -20 /usr/sbin/smbd -D”
    use the “x” key to delete
  5. type “:x” (no quotes) to save and exit the file
    Now repeat steps 2 - 5 for Twonky 
  6. vi /etc/init.d/SS97twonkyserver
  7. /nice
  8. Remove "nice -n -20" from “nice -n -20 “$TWONKYSRV” -D -appdata /DataVolume/jewab -logfile /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.log”
  9. type “:x” (no quotes)
  10. type “reboot” (no quotes)

So far this has been the best workaround for me.  Today and tomorrow should be a good test for the conenction issue since I won’t be around as much, but as I mentioned above using this workaround today is the first morning I could access the drive without touching it in any way.

UPDATE:  This solution worked for about 12-14 hours before the connection failed again.

Has anyone had any success with increasing the login speed when accessing the NAS after the update?  It takes a lot longer for Time Machine, FTP and AFP to access the drive after the update.  It doesn’t seem to be a problem in my Win 7 and XP environments, only in the Lion and Snow Leopard OS’s.

After upgrading to Lion (big mistake) and experiencing issues with the MyBook World, I upgraded the firmware. Now (a day later) the drive won’t respond to anything. I can’t log on to the web interface through the IP address and it doesn’t show up in Finder. I can’t access it from extra devices either, such as a Sonos player or WD TV Live

Anyone know how I can access it and bring it back to life? Getting worried that all my data might be lost

WD called me this morning and we went over things. It’s connected now (didn’t do anything different than I’ve already done) and I’m backing up via Time Machine right now. This is nothing new. It drops the drive all the time. I expect no differently this time. Just a matter of time…

Support offered to replace the drive. They said, if after replacing the drive and it still fails, it’s my setup that is causing the problem. MY SETUP??? I’ve been running this same exact configuration since purchasing the WD brick over a year ago. We used only Windows computers up until 2 months ago, when I bought my first Mac with Lion installed. I was unable to access the drive, like everyone else. The Windows machines were fine. The WD drive NEVER had problems prior to upgrading the firmware to the one released a few days ago. Suddenly, it’s my setup that is the problem? Hmmmmm, I guess everyone else on here that is having issues also has bad WD drives suddenly and they’re setups are at fault as well. Everyone was fine when they had the previous firmware and pre-Lion operating systems. But, as soon as we all installed the latest firmware, we had connectivity issues. All of us! The forum is full of people complaining about the latest firmware causing their drives to become innoperable. So, is WD saying we all suddenly have problems with our drives and once they replace them with new drives (which will have the same faulty firmware we have now) and we still have issues, it’s a problem with our network setup?

Goes to show…WD [Deleted]  working in Support. Sorry, there is nothing wrong with my network setup, as it has been 100% reliable prior to this messed up firmware, that WD denies there is a problem with!!!

[Deleted]

Hi stevehmiller - just to say that i have exactly the same problem as you. Reliable set-up for over a year with snow leopard mac and PCs, then I upgrade to Lion and lose connectivity. Then I upgrade the firmware as advised on these forums and the drive becomes completely inaccessible

Please let me know if you get anywhere with this, I’m completely at a loss at the moment

monoskier, you’re most welcome. Just as a reminder, you’ll know if Twonky is indeed disabled when you click on its icon but your browser shows you not found page :wink:

FWIW, so far things are fine here. Last night, however, all my devices (both my NAS boxes, Apple TV2 and my wireless printer) disappeared. I freaked out! LOL But I waited couple of min and then magically they all showed up in Safari’s Bonjour.

Found something! After telling the MBMW to store 5000 messages in the log (via the Web GUI), this little gem turned up:

Sep 16 21:20:08 timeimpsServer auth.info sshd[5281]: Received disconnect from 192.168.0.7: 11: disconnected by user

Sep 17 00:29:21 timeimpsServer daemon.notice afpd[4037]: afp_zzz: entering extended sleep

Sep 17 01:04:32 timeimpsServer daemon.warn wixEvent[3412]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is down.

Sep 17 01:05:24 timeimpsServer daemon.info wixEvent[3412]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is up 100 Mbps full duplex.

Sep 17 01:05:28 timeimpsServer daemon.warn wixEvent[3412]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is down.

Sep 17 01:05:28 timeimpsServer daemon.info wixEvent[3412]: Network IP Address - NIC 1 failed to get IP address from DHCP server, using 169.254.155.128

So, I had to power cycle the device this morning after waking up and being unable to access it. I went to bed at 12:27 (when I slept my MacBook) and two minutes later, the MBMW enters ‘extended sleep’. I am yet to try the TWONKY ‘nice’ solution as of yet.

Hope this helps! (If you want the entire log, PM me :slight_smile:

-timeimp

Ok, I’ve been up for over 24 hours now on my WD. I have not dropped at all, from what I can determine. Nothing in the logs stating dropped connections. Time machine is working and backing up.

The only thing that has changed is the NPT setting. I noticed the date in the logs were off and screwy. I went into the settings and unchecked the NPT enabled and set the date and time manually. 

I don’t know if this is coincidence, but so far, no dropped connections and all is working fine.

My drive was undetectable on network after firmware update. I could not get to admin interface, ssh did not work could not even ping the device. Tried all suggestions and also have support ticket nothing worked. This morning i pluged the device into a router on a different sub-net then back into its normal router and now its working. Can login to admin interface and time-machine is backing up.

Mark.

I have log files for 2 days prior to system workiing if needed.

Any news on status, my product has been come completely unstable since upgrading to this firmware leve, only resolved by resetting device, which recovers it for a few hours and the issue re-occurs.

NAS log shows the nic going up and down constantly :

09/18 06:28:28  MyBookWorld daemon.warn wixEvent[3371]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is down.
09/18 06:28:27  MyBookWorld daemon.info wixEvent[3371]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is up 100 Mbps full duplex.
09/18 06:27:40  MyBookWorld daemon.warn wixEvent[3371]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is down.
09/18 06:27:39  MyBookWorld daemon.info wixEvent[3371]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is up 10 Mbps full duplex.
09/18 06:26:20  MyBookWorld daemon.info wixEvent[3371]: Network Link - NIC 1 link is up 10

For the experts working at WD:

My drive stays connected for less than a minute, XP, Win7 or Lion, wireless or ethernet does not make any difference. Let’s say that by Christmas you will issue a new firmware that actually works. How I am supposed to upgrade my NAS?

So apparently after afpd enters its sleep state, the primary interface starts to act up all weird, resulting it in connecting and disconnecting several times a minute. The box also seems to be unable to receive an IP address after the interface comes up again, thus a private IP address is assigned automatically resulting in a loss of connectivity to our networks.

This, in a nutshell, is the current problem. I dunno what WD did with that firmware, but the folks using the optware solution (installing a newer afpd from optware, leaving the firmware and basesystem untouched) didn’t suffer from this issue.

It’s more or less unsulting that WD support would recommend switching the units or blaming “our” networks and systems when it’s more or less established that the AFPd update contained in the most recent firmware is to blame.

How this could’ve happened (even though the update was delayed again and again due to testing) is more or less irrelevant right now - we need a fix asap, as downgrading is impossible (at least officially) and updating to the official new firmware using auto-update left the device’s functionality broken.

Juno75 wrote:

How this could’ve happened (even though the update was delayed again and again due to testing) …

I agree with everything you said.

WD developers (?) took 2 weeks to come up with the update and another 2 weeks to test, as per what I see from their latest firmware!!

IMHO, the whole code is a joke. The warning that people cannot downgrade to older version IF / ONCE anything goes wrong is so funny it makes me cry!!!

As I said in of my posts, it’s time for WD to take this thing seriously and hire some more expereinced coders.

I am having the same problem. The only way to bring the MBWE II back to the network is to reset it with the reset button or shut it off and turn it back on.

It stays accessible for maybe an hour or 2 and then it drops from the network again.

I’m also part of this ■■■■. Just bought 2, so I guess my problem is just double the hassle.

What WD i s going to do with this is going too indeed effect my opinion on all of their products.

Have 3 WD TV Live sets and several disks and no bigger problems so far, but this product

stinks as it is right now. By far the worst experience so far with a NAS product.

Hello everyone,
I have the same problem as you do today, I did update the version of 1:02:10, and of course we link is reset every ten seconds terrible:) best regards to everyone from Serbia  :cry:

Just got a MyBook World Edition II last Thursday the 15th and am having the same problem. Not sure if it was just the firmware since updating it was one of the first things I did after taking it out of the box (and it was updated to 1.02.10 from whatever was on it out of the box). It works fine for a few hours at a time then randomly loses connection. The only way to reset it is to power cycle it, sometimes more than once. Tried the various workarounds and fixes on the forums, nothing has worked.

I didn’t see this thread before posting on the ‘Do not update’ thread… Too late for me…

I hit update last night, the device told me it would reinstall and then restart… This may take up to half an hour… So I sat back and let it do it’s thing. 

After an hour I attempted to reconnect, but couldn’t get any response across the network… I noticed the lights on the front sweeping as per normal, so restarted the device… Still nothing… Next I shut down, reset and restarted and all was well. 

As a precaution I decided to start a backup of my photos to a PC seperate from the NAS… Left it running over night and returned this morning to see the NAS had disappeared from the network… Now the light on the front was sweeping up, then down, then the bottom two lights would light up, go dim and then it would return to sweeping up and down again. 

I’ve just shut it down for now. 

My network is entirely windows… I only updated from the NAS because it said there was an update available, it didn’t tell me what the update did. Feeling somewhat foolish now. 

Hi there,

did you guys delete all the posts again?

Pardon me, but i dont see why i should contact customer support now, because i simply need a new firmware update.

Last time support has been contacted they just said, we could get a new device - which of course wouldnt solve that problem - or did you brick the my book world with the new firmware?

And, you should be able to give an ETA, at least how long its going to take this time at max.

If its longer than one month ill have to get rid of all my wd stuff, i need my drives to be working correctly. In the current state

the drives are no use for me at all. I need an ETA, as do many others i guess. Please …

Network complications? BAHA! I have been real patient with WD, however this error really just **bleep**. BIG TIME.

Currently, I have iTunes set up to use my WD as a NAS and stores the iTunes Media Folder in /Volumes/timeimp/iTunes\ Media/ etc…

HOWEVER, after the update, songs would randomly stop playing. I could handle that. But then NIC 1 UP/DOWN would occur. “OK,” I said to myself and went and rebooted.

Well, this is just plain rude now WD: this error:

Sep 19 15:36:53 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “@”
Sep 19 15:36:54 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “@”
Sep 19 15:36:55 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “@”
Sep 19 15:36:56 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “@”
Sep 19 15:36:57 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “#”
Sep 19 15:36:58 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “#”
Sep 19 15:36:59 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “#”
Sep 19 15:36:59 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “#”
Sep 19 15:37:00 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “#”
Sep 19 15:37:00 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “#”
Sep 19 15:37:01 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in “@”
Sep 19 15:37:02 timeimpsServer daemon.err afpd[4503]: deletecurdir: error deleting .AppleDouble in "@"

over and over again. I know that from (somewhat limited knowledge of) Obj-C, “@” generally means a variable of some sort and, lo and behold, my files were deleting.

iTunes now has corrupted its library so badly that Song X by Artist Z becomes Song A by Artist Z whilst Song X reads a path to a folder or different song! Duplication’s galore as well!

So, my dear WD friends, please fix this error promptly. To show you how much I am willing to give, the past three days of log files (around 12000 messages) here. Please take a look at them carefully, so as to fix this horrible issue quickly.

I hate sounding negative but afpd not being able to pickup on this is really horrible and my sincere apologies if this IS an iTunes error.

-timemip